Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6502 6503 [6504] 6505 6506 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452287 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #97545 on: September 28, 2015, 06:49:38 pm »

@IronTomato, I totally see where you're coming from, and i really have zero sympathy for the guy in that link. He's downloading 1.5 TB of data / month on a plan where recommended usage is 250GB and complaining when they tell him to rein it in. Fuck, he has a family of 5 people constantly streaming videos and the like and wants to pay the same as a single person who uses a moderate amount.

The argument that was given to me makes very little sense.  On the one hand, it is said that a user going over that threshold hurts the internet experience for other users in your area, and on the other hand Comcast claims that the "average" user uses only 2-4gb per month.  If that is the case, then multiple users who average at 250gb a month would slow down the internet far more than one individual who uses, say, 500gb in a month.  If such a small number of users exceed the cap, then Comcast's network should easily be able to allow that without it affecting other users.  If, on the other hand, many users are exceeding the cap, it means that the limit is far too small and Comcast should upgrade their infrastructure if they cannot keep up with user demands.  Basically, Comcast should have no cap but strive to upgrade their network to allow users to have the freedom to use the internet how they see fit. 

Well, someone's paying for the upgrades, right? Why should that cost be spread evenly between the conservative users and the data-hogs? It just comes across incredible self-centred and oblivious to his effects on those around him.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 06:53:54 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97546 on: September 28, 2015, 06:53:28 pm »

privileged assholes
You just answered your own question. But holy crap is that guy an arsehole.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97547 on: September 28, 2015, 06:56:41 pm »

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/The-250gb-data-cap-is-ruining-my-family-It-HAS-to-go/td-p/1021793
This person actually thinks that a fucking 250gb data cap is nowhere near enough to do absolutely anything. It is enough to fill up a quarter of my hard drive in a month. How the fuck do you even do that? What the hell is this person doing that they think that data cap is the tiniest thing in the world?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97548 on: September 28, 2015, 07:24:09 pm »

God I do not like visitors. When I have my own place, I am not telling anybody my address. If they insist, I'll give out addresses to strangers' places. Maybe I'm weird, but there is nothing more uncomfortable than having somebody who is not normally in your house, in your house. I do not like it one bit. I don't even like being in other people's houses. Doesn't matter who it is.
Ugh, I absolutely can relate.

Though my mom and brother just visited, and my brother even spent the night, and it was... alright.  Pretty fun, even, even before we got drunk playing Smash Bros.

But it was still a little weird and uncomfortable, even though they were very nice.  (Nicer than last time...)  And I'm really not sure when I'll be comfortable having my dad over again.  Hell, the previous time my brother visited, we got in an argument over some decorating advice.  I guess the issue is that this is my safe place, and I'm really sensitive about any criticism of it.  Even though I know it's fucking weird to a normal person (it's... sparsely furnished, AKA it has everything I need and not much else).

My dad's place is a flipping mess anyway, random garbage everywhere such that it's hard to walk without tripping over cables.  Ants constantly snacking in the kitchen.  Where the hell did he get off, criticizing my place for being too empty.
... I mean, there were enough chairs, and a futon couch, and even beanbag chairs.  But the futon was too thin and the chairs were hard wood, he wasn't happy.  ugh, it sucks because he's largely right.

Oh, best part, somehow mom and dad actually had a conversation yesterday (why is that happening NOW of all times) and she told him that she and bro visited.  Which is great since dad had asked to visit a few days earlier and I'd declined.  REALLY looking forward to my next conversation with him, flip.  (She even realized what she'd done and called me afterward to let me know)

Still.  This visit went a lot better than any of the others.  Actually made me hopeful for the future, surprisingly.  I'd also taken some advice, there are a few posters and a curtain-mural thing up now.  I didn't need them, but they seem to make other people more comfortable.

...Okay there are a couple of hangings I actually appreciate.  Mementos from my dead papa (dad's stepdad):  A framed tobacco leaf, and a framed paintbrush covered in gold paint.  Memories of a good man who worked very hard.

He taught me the value of honesty.  There was a situation...  I won't go into detail, but I have klepto urges.  And if it weren't for him, I'd probably still act on them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97549 on: September 28, 2015, 07:27:09 pm »

Are people really justifying data caps in this thread? Really?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97550 on: September 28, 2015, 07:27:56 pm »

Page 6666! Hail Satan!

...I don't really have any specific Sads at the moment, just the usual ones.
I suppose this runny nose I have this morning could count. Fuck Winter, I thought I'd timed it right to skip this nonsense. :-\
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97551 on: September 28, 2015, 07:30:18 pm »

Are people really justifying data caps in this thread? Really?

Unlimited everything for a low, low price would be great, but it's pure fantasy land in a technical sense. The article was right, people are downloading more than ever before. But if the price isn't rising on the service, then that means more strain on the service. The choice is then to upgrade the service for everyone, to support a subset of users, and then you charge everyone more for the same service. So if it's costing $200/month now it will be costing maybe $280/month later. But then, the low data users, who are currently subsidizing the high-data users start to switch over to things like wireless, which are now more competitive for them, meaning the upgraded broadband must be paid for by less users than they currently have, meaning the price jumps again, maybe up to $350/month.

I don't have any sympathy for excessive users being subsidized by other users, and if you upgrade it to fit the high-bandwidth users for the same price as low-bandwidth users, you push the light users off the service, meaning the guys keeping the overall costs down are no longer there.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:40:42 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #97552 on: September 28, 2015, 07:35:40 pm »

Unlimited everything for a low, low price would be great, but it's pure fantasy land in a technical sense.
You can get that in NZ with fibre. We just don't have fibre except in city centres.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97553 on: September 28, 2015, 07:40:10 pm »

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/The-250gb-data-cap-is-ruining-my-family-It-HAS-to-go/td-p/1021793
This person actually thinks that a fucking 250gb data cap is nowhere near enough to do absolutely anything. It is enough to fill up a quarter of my hard drive in a month. How the fuck do you even do that? What the hell is this person doing that they think that data cap is the tiniest thing in the world?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Well, there isn't a cap now, so somebody won or Comcast just stopped caring?
Eh.
Unlimited everything for a low, low price would be great, but it's pure fantasy land in a technical sense.
You can get that in NZ with fibre. We just don't have fibre except in city centres.
*starts booking a flight*  THE INTERNETS SHALL BE MINE.  MINE I SAY.  ALL MINE.

Haha, no.

But seriously, I have to say that WHY DON'T WE HAVE MUNICIPAL INTERNET/CABLE/ETC. IN MORE PLACES.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97554 on: September 28, 2015, 07:43:03 pm »

There is a cap again:
http://blog.credit.com/2015/09/comcast-is-putting-a-monthly-data-cap-on-your-home-internet-124851/
But this time it's excess usage fees rather than threats to cut you off.

Municipal internet needs to be paid for out of taxes, obviously. And cities are already massively in debt. Would local internet be cheaper to run than a company-based one (economies of scale wouldn't work out)? That's kind of questionable. Most likely, it would cost "less" but be subsidized out of taxes, which would basically mean them sticking their hands in everyone's pocket for the fees regardless of whether you even have the connection.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 01:38:18 am by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #97555 on: September 28, 2015, 07:56:09 pm »

I could have seen it... If I wasn't so knackered by 1:00am that I fell asleep.
Man, I completely forgot about the blood moon last nights. I was up until 2:00 am, but playing Starcraft, not outside looking at moons. Oh well.

A cousin whom I have little memory of just had their first baby. Three-to-four months early.

Barely under a pound, and in intensive care. Some sort of incubation device.

Can't imagine how heavy that must be on them.
I think I was born two or 3 months early. From a c-section, no less. To parents in their 40s. And I came out alright. I think. Depends on your definition of alright, I suppose. According to my parents I kept rolling around in my sleep in the "incubation device" thing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97556 on: September 28, 2015, 08:02:15 pm »

There is a cap again:
http://blog.credit.com/2015/09/comcast-is-putting-a-monthly-data-cap-on-your-home-internet-124851/
But this time it's excess usage fees rather than threats to cut you off.

Municipal internet needs to be paid for out of taxes, obviously. And cities are already massively in debt. Would local internet be cheaper to run than a company-based one (economies of scale wouldn't work out)? That's kind of questionable. Most likely, it would cost "less" but be subsidized out of taxes, which would basically mean them sticking your hands in everyone's pocket for the fees regardless of whether you even have the connection.

There is a state city conglomerate here that tried to build a interstate fiber network. 4 billion in debt and only a 10% rollout for the past 8 years. Thank god for google fiber.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #97557 on: September 28, 2015, 08:38:17 pm »

-
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 10:14:03 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97558 on: September 29, 2015, 01:33:01 am »

To screw up two huge things in a row, all the while having a school paper to do and some internship papers to secure is putting a huge strain on my psyche.

I just want to die die die
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97559 on: September 29, 2015, 01:40:20 am »

I can't tell if a vague email I got recently is a followup to a job listing I responded to or an entirely unrelated scam that just coincidentally seems vaguely similar due to the barnum effect.  Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 6502 6503 [6504] 6505 6506 ... 8167