Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6399 6400 [6401] 6402 6403 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438160 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #96000 on: August 03, 2015, 01:18:15 pm »

Chatting to my friend with benefit simultaneously with chatting to the person I'm romantically attracted to makes me feel like a whore, who'da thunk it?
You're barely half a Descan.
I've ascended, I am now a measurement.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96001 on: August 03, 2015, 01:28:53 pm »

So chatting with 4 interests = 1 Descan?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #96002 on: August 03, 2015, 01:40:41 pm »

If by chatting you mean sleeping, yes.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #96003 on: August 03, 2015, 01:49:01 pm »

Actually, I agree. Cinder chatting to two people can't be a Descan.

How do you convert talking to sex in Descans?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #96004 on: August 03, 2015, 01:51:58 pm »

My sister is still in the ICU in the hospital. Her surgeries went well but she still has a lot of injuries that need to heal before they can even try to bring her back to consciousness. Which means we don't even know how extensive any brain damage could be and even if she can wake up. And my other sister is having meltdowns about all of this and drinking to cope which makes her aggressive and combative and cause all sorts of nasty drama which none of us need right now.

BTW, this relates somewhat to the subject of adoption. Both of my sisters are adopted while my brother and I are not. My mom wanted to balance out the Male/Female ratio in the family and decides the odds of doing so naturally were against her. One of the issues my sister has is very common among adopted kids who weren't babies when they were adopted. Despite all the love and nurturing given to her by us she still never really feels like she's part of the family. All of the little differences force some sort of mental schism that gets reinforced by an underlying fear of rejection. She feels like she was abandoned by her birth parents and I think she's got a fundamental fear of us abandoning her too. All of which is another sad, especially since she does her best to push us all away when she's been drinking.

...I really wish we could get her to stop but so far she keeps going back to alcohol every time life gets a little hard.

This is super rough, but at least the surgery was okay. Good luck with your other sister. :(

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #96005 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:12 pm »

I still can't figure out a way to get my computer to display file sizes correctly (due to the fact that Windows was programmed by people who are both completely out of touch with the end user {or indeed anyone who isn't a computer programmer}, are a bunch of lazy morons, and appear to suffer from some manner of OCD where they obsess over powers of the number two in places far removed from the lowest-level machine code in which such things are relevant to their jobs, the listed sizes of all files on my computer (and your computers as well if you use Windows) are off by between 3% and 7% because they decided to represent a gigabyte as 1,073,741,824 rather than 1,000,000,000 bytes "because it's a power of 2". I've been looking for a hack to fix this, but so far have been unable to find one)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #96006 on: August 03, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »

You could try being less OCD for one.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #96007 on: August 03, 2015, 04:12:27 pm »

Since when was a gigabyte 1,000,000,000 bytes?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96008 on: August 03, 2015, 04:13:45 pm »

Never. I looked this up for something unrelated like five minutes ago.

EDIT: Its actually a little more nuanced then that. Gigabyte is indeed 1,000,000,000 bytes. A GB, on the other hand, is 1,073,741,824 bytes. Technically, a GB is called a "Gibibyte".
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 04:16:14 pm by Arcvasti »
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #96009 on: August 03, 2015, 04:27:53 pm »

My sister is still in the ICU in the hospital. Her surgeries went well but she still has a lot of injuries that need to heal before they can even try to bring her back to consciousness. Which means we don't even know how extensive any brain damage could be and even if she can wake up. And my other sister is having meltdowns about all of this and drinking to cope which makes her aggressive and combative and cause all sorts of nasty drama which none of us need right now.

BTW, this relates somewhat to the subject of adoption. Both of my sisters are adopted while my brother and I are not. My mom wanted to balance out the Male/Female ratio in the family and decides the odds of doing so naturally were against her. One of the issues my sister has is very common among adopted kids who weren't babies when they were adopted. Despite all the love and nurturing given to her by us she still never really feels like she's part of the family. All of the little differences force some sort of mental schism that gets reinforced by an underlying fear of rejection. She feels like she was abandoned by her birth parents and I think she's got a fundamental fear of us abandoning her too. All of which is another sad, especially since she does her best to push us all away when she's been drinking.

...I really wish we could get her to stop but so far she keeps going back to alcohol every time life gets a little hard.

This is super rough, but at least the surgery was okay. Good luck with your other sister. :(

Yeah, I hope everything turns out well for you and your sisters.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96010 on: August 03, 2015, 04:30:16 pm »

Wait, bytes aren't relevant to powers of two?
I thought that was a pretty important thing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #96011 on: August 03, 2015, 04:30:34 pm »

Give them both hugs. Lots of hugs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #96012 on: August 03, 2015, 04:34:04 pm »

The nicest place on the internet seems to be down. Which makes my sig link thingy pointless. Also I miss internet hugs from strangers :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96013 on: August 03, 2015, 04:38:35 pm »

Never. I looked this up for something unrelated like five minutes ago.

EDIT: Its actually a little more nuanced then that. Gigabyte is indeed 1,000,000,000 bytes. A GB, on the other hand, is 1,073,741,824 bytes. Technically, a GB is called a "Gibibyte".
I think that Engineering/Programming will use the powers of two GB Gigabyte, and Marketing will use the powers of ten/"SI prefix" GB Gigabyte, the end user will buy based on marketing and get what programming put in, nobody really ought to care because THE ACTUAL PERCENTAGE OF DISK USED IS STILL THE SAME, as the OP of this issue may not have grasped, and I will side with engineering because COMPUTERS ARE IN BASE 2.

Plus, most of the Internet measures the file sizes in powers of two, so you'd just be overestimating everyone else's files.

Seriously, though, filesizes do go straight down to bit/byte level and it's much easier to count the bytes in powers of two than in powers of ten.

*sigh*  This entire debate is because someone decided to try and retcon SI onto a working powers of two system.  Even though the prefixes were recycled, it's not, AFAIK, an SI unit so the people who came up with it, for better or for worse, define the way it works and they picked powers of two.

But if you write a gigabyte in binary, it has only ones and zeroes.  Maybe we should write something to display THAT instead of the apparently-offensive current rendition.  </snark>

Seriously, though, neither of the two groups is wrong, depending on what definition you want to ascribe to gigabyte and/or GB, but only one of them controls the OS.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #96014 on: August 03, 2015, 04:39:39 pm »

Wait, bytes aren't relevant to powers of two?
I thought that was a pretty important thing.

The "formal" definition of gigabyte is 1000000000 bytes because it's made using base 10. The practical definition of Gigabite (Also known as Gibibyte or GiB to pedantic types) is 1073741824 because it's in base 2.

The only people that really use the base 10 or "Formal" one are hardware manufacturers, some elements of some linux distributions (Not the whole kernel) and apple.

And as above says, it's a meaningless distinction.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 6399 6400 [6401] 6402 6403 ... 8167