Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6359 6360 [6361] 6362 6363 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9428811 times)

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95400 on: July 21, 2015, 02:28:33 pm »

I'm half italian and half spanish, I'm doomed :v!

Maybe I can become a deep one though, where can I find me some sexy fish?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95401 on: July 21, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »

Pssh you guys and your halves, you don't know just how safe you have it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95402 on: July 21, 2015, 02:32:45 pm »

We also need to account for people who have changed their account name multiple times :v, seems to be a common practice in the lower forums.

EDIT: WEWPS, wrong thread, jeez
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95403 on: July 21, 2015, 02:44:03 pm »

Nono, I think it counts. Name changers are just as bad as miscegenation!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #95404 on: July 21, 2015, 02:49:00 pm »

It's true! Because neither is a problem[/explaining the joke]
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #95405 on: July 21, 2015, 04:15:48 pm »

I'm half italian and half spanish, I'm doomed :v!

Maybe I can become a deep one though, where can I find me some sexy fish?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #95406 on: July 21, 2015, 04:21:43 pm »

Anyway, the feeling I got from Lovecraft is that he hated "ignorant" people, and due to the prejudices that ran amok at the time, that often got tangled with racial views. He did really believe in things such as racial superiority and degeneration, though, but that was also a common theme of the time.
He was an autodidact in a variety of fields of interest to him and a child prodigy. It kinda fucks up how you think about other people. He'd possibly be the kind of guy who would be featured on r/iamverysmart today.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #95407 on: July 21, 2015, 04:37:38 pm »

Being a bigoted asshole does not prevent one from being intelligent. Much like being a moron does not prevent someone from being a great friend. Who might be a bigoted asshole towards someone other than you. And is great with kids despite that.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #95408 on: July 21, 2015, 04:40:21 pm »

He was an autodidact in a variety of fields of interest to him and a child prodigy. It kinda fucks up how you think about other people. He'd possibly be the kind of guy who would be featured on r/iamverysmart today.
woah wait he was a prodigy whaaat.

*checks wikipedia*

Huh. "Lovecraft was a prodigy, reciting poetry at the age of three, and writing complete poems by six." Today I learned something. Neat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95409 on: July 21, 2015, 06:30:51 pm »

LUCKY TEN THOUSAND!!!!!
((I did not know that.))
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95410 on: July 21, 2015, 06:41:37 pm »

"Shadow Over Innsmouth" is one of the classic Lovecraft stories that people forget is about the dangers of race-mixing. African tribes star as villains in quite a few stories, as well. Lovecraft stories are cooler for the genre they started, rather than the stories themselves.
Innsmouth falls under the category of "themes of ancestral heritage and racial purity or impurity" which I was describing. Specifically, Innsmouth is the whole "impurity" by way of interspecies breeding with fish people. Yeah, it's probably symbolism for inter-racial mixing and stuff.

Lovecraft also used racial degeneracy and devolution. Sometimes it was through "mixing" with things such as fish people or humanoid apes from the congos. And sometimes it was through inbreeding of rural hillfolk living in the far away backwaters of New England, descended from colonial people. In other words, white people. White dudes weren't safe from Lovecraft's writing.
I am required to mention, however, that Shadow Over Innsmouth as an anti-miscegenation screed does not make internal logical sense, to the point where I start to doubt that it really is that between the lines like everyone says.

The reason for this is that the end of the tale, after getting the initial shock of discovering he is a Deep One Hybrid, the protagonist ends up accepting his condition and decides that being immortal and living in an undersea paradise actually isn't that bad after all. He then rescues his cousin from the aslyum he's been in for years, since said cousin isn't really crazy, just more informed about the whole fishman thing. The two of them go off to Y'ha-nthlei, and...that's it.

So the message that you shouldn't be a race mixer, even if intended, doesn't really work. "Hey kids, don't sully your blood or else you'll live forever!"
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95411 on: July 21, 2015, 06:44:16 pm »

"You marry between races, you'll live forever in a advanced underwater civilisation beyond the ken of man! And who'd want that?"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #95412 on: July 21, 2015, 06:46:16 pm »

"Shadow Over Innsmouth" is one of the classic Lovecraft stories that people forget is about the dangers of race-mixing. African tribes star as villains in quite a few stories, as well. Lovecraft stories are cooler for the genre they started, rather than the stories themselves.
Innsmouth falls under the category of "themes of ancestral heritage and racial purity or impurity" which I was describing. Specifically, Innsmouth is the whole "impurity" by way of interspecies breeding with fish people. Yeah, it's probably symbolism for inter-racial mixing and stuff.

Lovecraft also used racial degeneracy and devolution. Sometimes it was through "mixing" with things such as fish people or humanoid apes from the congos. And sometimes it was through inbreeding of rural hillfolk living in the far away backwaters of New England, descended from colonial people. In other words, white people. White dudes weren't safe from Lovecraft's writing.
I am required to mention, however, that Shadow Over Innsmouth as an anti-miscegenation screed does not make internal logical sense, to the point where I start to doubt that it really is that between the lines like everyone says.

The reason for this is that the end of the tale, after getting the initial shock of discovering he is a Deep One Hybrid, the protagonist ends up accepting his condition and decides that being immortal and living in an undersea paradise actually isn't that bad after all. He then rescues his cousin from the aslyum he's been in for years, since said cousin isn't really crazy, just more informed about the whole fishman thing. The two of them go off to Y'ha-nthlei, and...that's it.

So the message that you shouldn't be a race mixer, even if intended, doesn't really work. "Hey kids, don't sully your blood or else you'll live forever!"
It wasn't even race mixing. It was inspired by Lovecraft, WASP extraordinaire, discovering his grandmother (maternal, IIRC) was Welsh. THE TERROR IS REAL. AND SLIGHTLY DAMP.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95413 on: July 21, 2015, 06:49:54 pm »

To be fair, I might also write a disturbed pulp horror story if I discovered I was 1/8th sheep.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95414 on: July 21, 2015, 06:54:10 pm »

A lot of his stories end like that. And it's not painted as a good thing. So I think it still holds up. (Or, at least that's not a reason why it doesn't.)
Pages: 1 ... 6359 6360 [6361] 6362 6363 ... 8167