Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6355 6356 [6357] 6358 6359 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423268 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #95340 on: July 20, 2015, 07:18:35 am »

US Taxpayers Spend $3.5 Million to Find Out Why (75% of) Lesbians Are Fat. This is up from the 1.5mil from 3yrs ago.
What's so strange about research into why a specific demographic has a clear and identifiable health issue at a disproportionate rate?
That it has taken so much to do a study? If it's going to take you in excess of 3 years to conduct some surveys and analyse them, chances are you're doing something wrong. If you want my guess, they decided on the conclusion they wanted to be true beforehand, then realised that their data didn't match it and couldn't really be used for anything else.

Alternatively:
It is now well-established that women of minority sexual orientation are disproportionately affected by the obesity epidemic, with nearly three-quarters of adult lesbians overweight or obese, compared to half of heterosexual women. In stark contrast, among men, heterosexual males have nearly double the risk of obesity compared to gay males.
If we assume that correlation=causation, we can draw the conclusion that wanting to have sex with women makes you fat. I'll take the million in a briefcase of notes please.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95341 on: July 20, 2015, 07:44:30 am »

Sick. I will spare the details. Though I am currently holed up in the washroom at work. You would think that telling people you are ill would prompt an "oh, you are sick. Please stay home in case you are contagious." Not "too bad, you're working." Even my mom.

There isn't even enough for me to do today. I'm done everything already.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95342 on: July 20, 2015, 07:49:24 am »

Go into the health sector. Then when you tell people you are sick, they say 'Go the hell home! Why did you even come in!? I'm filling your shifts this week and the next.'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95343 on: July 20, 2015, 07:52:06 am »

Health sector? I don't think we have one. The closest thing would probably be my manager, who I already spoke with.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95344 on: July 20, 2015, 07:53:04 am »

Health sector as in medical work.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95345 on: July 20, 2015, 07:55:12 am »

We have a first aid room. That's about it. No dedicated health person.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #95346 on: July 20, 2015, 07:56:38 am »

As in medical career. Like becoming a doctor or a paramedic. Change jobs, is what Tack's saying.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #95347 on: July 20, 2015, 07:56:51 am »

US Taxpayers Spend $3.5 Million to Find Out Why (75% of) Lesbians Are Fat. This is up from the 1.5mil from 3yrs ago.
What's so strange about research into why a specific demographic has a clear and identifiable health issue at a disproportionate rate?
That it has taken so much to do a study? If it's going to take you in excess of 3 years to conduct some surveys and analyse them, chances are you're doing something wrong. If you want my guess, they decided on the conclusion they wanted to be true beforehand, then realised that their data didn't match it and couldn't really be used for anything else.

Alternatively:
It is now well-established that women of minority sexual orientation are disproportionately affected by the obesity epidemic, with nearly three-quarters of adult lesbians overweight or obese, compared to half of heterosexual women. In stark contrast, among men, heterosexual males have nearly double the risk of obesity compared to gay males.
If we assume that correlation=causation, we can draw the conclusion that wanting to have sex with women makes you fat. I'll take the million in a briefcase of notes please.

This still doesn't strike me as odd - I can easily see it taking three years to eliminate every other demographic factor from the equation and determine that the correlation is with sexual orientation rather than, for example, a region that happens to contain an above-average proportion of lesbians also having an above-average obesity rate.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95348 on: July 20, 2015, 08:09:16 am »

Oh.

Tried drinking some water. I feel that it made things worse.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #95349 on: July 20, 2015, 08:58:49 am »

Alternatively:

This still doesn't strike me as odd - I can easily see it taking three years to eliminate every other demographic factor from the equation and determine that the correlation is with sexual orientation rather than, for example, a region that happens to contain an above-average proportion of lesbians also having an above-average obesity rate.

Being a lesbian could be an indirect causation, but undoubtably it's a cultural thing. This is an America-specific study, I assume?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #95350 on: July 20, 2015, 09:37:26 am »

Predictably, after the initial handful of hours of productivity I have now crashed and everything is terrible. And starting from tomorrow I'm back to having to work on a normal schedule and dealing with people constantly and everything and everything is terrible some more.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #95351 on: July 20, 2015, 09:45:14 am »

Given the way science actually works, that's a fairly reasonable cost and timescale for a fairly reasonable problem. If absolutely nothing else, the knowledge can be helpful to everyone, gay or not; in any situation with a complicated background, it's as plausible as not that the cause is some third variable that correlates with homosexuality but is still applicable to the general population. Anything we can learn about obesity is something worth knowing, even for people who want to insist money should only be spent on practical things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #95352 on: July 20, 2015, 10:56:54 am »

Intense and inescapable physical pain for hours on end, late at night while exhausted, fills one's mind with dark and desperate thoughts. At least it's over now, though being groggy in the morning, while still in somewhat less pain, and needing to go to class is not fun. I am getting very sick of intensely painful sleepless nights.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #95353 on: July 20, 2015, 12:33:51 pm »

Given the way science actually works, that's a fairly reasonable cost and timescale for a fairly reasonable problem. If absolutely nothing else, the knowledge can be helpful to everyone, gay or not; in any situation with a complicated background, it's as plausible as not that the cause is some third variable that correlates with homosexuality but is still applicable to the general population. Anything we can learn about obesity is something worth knowing, even for people who want to insist money should only be spent on practical things.
Pretty much. Except it's almost guaranteed not to be homosexuality itself, because biology doesn't really check for 'is gay Y/N'. It can be, I'unno, hormonal differences, some chemical they are more exposed to due to their particular consumption profile... hell, at worst, if it is cultural, that's more evidence that whatever factor that is is correlated to obesity.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95354 on: July 20, 2015, 01:31:00 pm »

I'm sad because I basically haven't implemented anything for a month.

I'm also sad because I've finish the Mentalist, Community, Brooklyn nine-nine, Family Guy, American Dad, and the die Hard movies.

I'm even extra sad because I've fucked up my sleepiong cycle and am more often asleep between 2 and 4 PM than between 4 and 4 AM.

:(
Pages: 1 ... 6355 6356 [6357] 6358 6359 ... 8167