Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6325 6326 [6327] 6328 6329 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443961 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #94890 on: July 04, 2015, 04:41:25 am »

popery
To be fair, the Crusades were at least in part politically motivated. Stuff like the fall of Constantinople and the invasion of Iberia, Europe was collectively going "oh fuck the Muslims are gonna wreck our shit".
Somewhat off-topic, but I get antsy when people say the Crusades were all about smiting the heathens and not about getting aggressive on a rapidly expanding empire.
There is also the economic factor. Initially, many crusaders were from regions where only the eldest son would inherit land, while the second, third and so on only got a bit of money or nothing at all. This left many Norman nobles trying to carve out their own realms in Sicily or simply becoming mercenaries or criminals. In the first crusade, many participants were Norman or Occitan adventurers, not so much people from areas where land inheritance was split equally. The church basically got rid of the problem by diverting their attention to a far away place where they could "legally" do what they were doing already.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #94891 on: July 04, 2015, 07:29:40 am »

It was also hoped that fighting side-by-side in a sacred battle would burn away the petty resentments and old feuds between nobles that had built up since the feudal system was instituted, giving Europe that ever-sought but never realized Peace In Our Time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94892 on: July 04, 2015, 07:52:15 am »

Not to mention that controlling the Middle East meant controlling an important trade route. Dem silk'n'spices
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #94893 on: July 04, 2015, 10:27:34 am »

she thought imprisoning other people for having a "bad" religion was okay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGqA1lNXYhg
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #94894 on: July 04, 2015, 11:01:26 am »

What has saddened me greatly today is that I can't watch that video due to it not being available in my country. How am I to music now!?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #94895 on: July 04, 2015, 11:57:53 am »

Was browsing /a/ threads. Saw goatse for the first time as a shitpost in an anime reaction image thread.

Welp. That's enough internet for me today.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #94896 on: July 04, 2015, 12:13:31 pm »

My family as well as another are going to tailgate(?) at some baseball game or another, I think minor leagues or something, and so I can stand out in the heat/get rained on for about 6-8 hours and have the privilege of listening to people talk about how those damn gays, trans people, and liberals are ruining the country. woo
Also I'm becoming increasingly unsure of my gender so woop doop kinda scared

And now my dad's forced me to go to a thing I don't want to go to, and has decided that I need to have a "friend" over every day or I'm not allowed to use the computer.

I can't even muster up the words to rant right now.
Can you explain to him that most people are busy/not around currently and so it's unrealistic? Or something? Sorry, I don't know if I can help. PM box is open and stuff for rants or w/e. Although I won't be able to reply for a while past an hour from now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #94897 on: July 04, 2015, 12:24:18 pm »

Feel sad for my dogs, because this shall be a day of terror for them. Because fireworks.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94898 on: July 04, 2015, 01:30:15 pm »

Your dad sounds like the parental equivalent of a bull in a china shop. No matter how careful he is, he smashes shit up and shits on the shelves.

Doesn't sound like he's careful, at any rate.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #94899 on: July 04, 2015, 01:33:57 pm »

This left many Norman nobles trying to carve out their own realms in Sicily or simply becoming mercenaries or criminals.  The church basically got rid of the problem by diverting their attention to a far away place where they could "legally" do what they were doing already.
The (super-simplified) fact of the matter is that, the original Crusaders were bloodthirsty knights with no wars to fight that the Pope wanted to get rid of
Do y'all even read my posts?  It wasn't that long :/
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94900 on: July 04, 2015, 02:30:38 pm »

Stop trying to make the crusades discussion happen. Y'all were being way too simplistic on an issue that you could write dozens of books about, happened over the course of hundreds of years with so many different contributing factors, and throwing in bits of completely refuted history that keep cropping up over the course of the internet.

Educate thineselves, and then move it to a different topic if you want to keep it going.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94901 on: July 04, 2015, 02:52:40 pm »

This left many Norman nobles trying to carve out their own realms in Sicily or simply becoming mercenaries or criminals.  The church basically got rid of the problem by diverting their attention to a far away place where they could "legally" do what they were doing already.
The (super-simplified) fact of the matter is that, the original Crusaders were bloodthirsty knights with no wars to fight that the Pope wanted to get rid of
Do y'all even read my posts?  It wasn't that long :/
I read it. Just added that bit about land inheritance, which still is a super-simplified explanation. ;)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #94902 on: July 04, 2015, 03:27:31 pm »

Stop trying to make the crusades discussion happen. Y'all were being way too simplistic on an issue that you could write dozens of books about, happened over the course of hundreds of years with so many different contributing factors, and throwing in bits of completely refuted history that keep cropping up over the course of the internet.
It is, in fact, a ludicrously complicated issue. My (admittedly poorly presented) point was that religion was not the only reason behind it.
Take the church-bashing to the religion thread; that's basically what it's there for. Someone could also make a new thread if people want to continue talking history.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94903 on: July 04, 2015, 04:53:54 pm »

Feh. Pathfinder game canceled. And I just rolled up a replacement character, too.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94904 on: July 04, 2015, 05:28:20 pm »

i never understood the appeal of spacedicks

like, can someone go scour for the worst stuff and pm it to me

am i just that jaded vOv
Pages: 1 ... 6325 6326 [6327] 6328 6329 ... 8167