Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6248 6249 [6250] 6251 6252 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9486428 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93735 on: June 03, 2015, 10:40:22 am »

That was a typo, sorry.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93736 on: June 03, 2015, 11:03:39 am »

You would make my father sad. (He teaches computing).
He's probably a much better teacher than mine was this year. He tries but just doesn't understand teaching, as a concept.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #93737 on: June 03, 2015, 02:00:48 pm »

Stay strong, Caroline. Just play along, keep a low profile and be skeptical (but don't voice your doubt). Living a lie is stressful, but being literally trapped in an indoctrination camp is one of those times and places where you pretty much have to wear a social mask in order to survive.

And try not to be angry at the people who think they're helping when they're making it worse. Remember Hanlon's Razor; they're ignorant, not evil.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 02:02:55 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93738 on: June 03, 2015, 02:04:51 pm »

Just got back from trying to mow the lawn with a less rusty one of these I found in the back of my garage:

I'm back after 3 hours, and I'm only about halfway finished. Our gas powered lawn mower somehow managed to get a big fucking crack in the fuel tank, and with the neighbors unwilling to lend me theirs until the weekend this seems to be my only option. It does get good results, I admit, but it takes a ludicrous amount of effort just to get the rusty thing's blades spinning, and even more to keep them that way going through the (admittedly rather tall) grass. But if I don't get it all done by Friday the city will send a crew down to do it for me (because of the tall grass. We've been away for a while) and bill me ~$300 for their trouble.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93739 on: June 03, 2015, 02:31:05 pm »

WD-40
Make all your problems go away.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #93740 on: June 03, 2015, 02:39:22 pm »

WD-40
Somehow I feel as though the city will be even less enthused if his lawn is soaked in lubricant as some sort of improvised herbicide.

Oh! You mean the mower!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93741 on: June 03, 2015, 02:58:51 pm »

WD-40
All your problems.

Lawn is fair game.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #93742 on: June 03, 2015, 03:14:36 pm »

Feeling like I'm sinking again, trying to stay afloat but it's not working that well.

Mostly because I've picked up on certain details and things were said and it all started coming together in my head to form this narrative which makes perfect sense and is also rather shitty for me. Mostly because it puts two of the things that I want the most now into mutually exclusive terms.

And I could just ask to see if my doubts are confirmed, but it wouldn't really do anything beyond that, except make things worse perhaps, because there isn't much I can do about it.

So now I have the choice of letting my imagination and insecurity run wild and fuck me up at one of the worst moments when there wasn't anything happening in the first place. I could do the same but turn out right in the end (as I did multiple times in the past) and end up even worse because I was right and still beat myself up over it. I could ask, but what would that bring, I could be wrong, but it would again show how weak I am when I'm trying to become stronger, or I could be right and there would be fuck all to do but accept it.

Fucking life, why the fuck did I have to come into existance in the first place, I was better off not being at all.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93743 on: June 03, 2015, 03:26:23 pm »

New corporate policy -- all employees must work from an office, effective immediately.

Did I mention the nearest office is 40 miles away? And that I don't actually report to anyone there?

Let's see...80 miles roundtrip x 5, divided by fuel efficiency of the car, times price of gas.....

...ok yeah, this is basically adding a $130/mo bill to my budget. Just for gas.

For a job that, while I enjoy it, is only paying me a couple of percent more than I was paid when I was tech support.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93744 on: June 03, 2015, 03:48:42 pm »

WD-40

I did apply some to the thing, but it's is more rust than iron at this point and the wheels can't get enough traction to drive the reel. It was improved, but the grass is still taller than the mower (but thankfully not the handle or I'd be in really deep shit) in most places. It just wasn't built for someone as lazy about lawn care as I am, I guess.

New corporate policy -- all employees must work from an office, effective immediately.

Did I mention the nearest office is 40 miles away? And that I don't actually report to anyone there?

Let's see...80 miles roundtrip x 5, divided by fuel efficiency of the car, times price of gas.....

For a job that, while I enjoy it, is only paying me a couple of percent more than I was paid when I was tech support.

Now this is just silly. Do they just want you to report into an office so they can bother you about wasting time better than if you were working from home, or what?
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93746 on: June 03, 2015, 04:16:37 pm »

What cretin came upmwith that policy?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #93749 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:11 pm »

What cretin came upmwith that policy?
The CEO. Which is why there's no arguing my way out of it. My manager knows it's stupid too.

Honestly, I think some of this is an effort to chase people off. After all, we said we'd get rid of 55,000 employees by November 2015, and we've only shed 48,000 so far.

Cost-cutting through annoying your best employees into leaving -- a great corporate tactic? Or the GREATEST corporate tactic?

FAKEDIT: Holy fuck. This policy first started in 2013.  Would have been nice of them to advertise that internally, before I chose to move 40 miles away from the office because "Hey, I work from home! Doesn't matter where we live!"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 6248 6249 [6250] 6251 6252 ... 8167