Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6242 6243 [6244] 6245 6246 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487378 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #93645 on: May 30, 2015, 08:15:24 pm »

Not to take any wind out of your sails (because I agree with the vast majority of your points here and aren't trying to shut you down or something), but technically you can change how introverted/extraverted you are (it takes years of conscious effort though). It is a sliding scale after all, and I certainly know that I'm a fair bit more extraverted now than I was several years ago through my own efforts in that area. While you might not be able to pull a total roll reversal, you can certainly slowly shift where you are on the sliding scale enough to change your location over time.

That's definitely something that you should be deciding though, not something that other people decide for you (and in fact it's one of the few decisions that is literally impossible for other people to make, if you don't want to change you won't, simple as that). And honestly (assuming the age you have listed is right) it's going to be at least another 3-6 years before your brain is physically developed to make choices about how to consciously change yourself in that way anyways, since the parts that deal with deep self-introspection don't fully form until around your early 20's.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93646 on: May 30, 2015, 08:26:35 pm »

since the parts that deal with deep self-introspection don't fully form until around your early 20's.
Really? This gives me a new perspective of myself. Thank you.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93647 on: May 30, 2015, 08:31:27 pm »

Yeah, it turns out that that's one of the reasons why your college years are considered so formative (though we didn't know this was the reason at first). It's only around college age that you finally gain the ability to ask yourself "what do I actually want to do" and get an answer back that is good enough to make decisions on it.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93648 on: May 30, 2015, 08:45:32 pm »

Coming home from a shitty day at work, I managed to tune into a song that I can only term 'Portuguese Polka Boyband Fusion'. It was so amazing and cheered me up after a bad day, and now I'm absolutely sad that I'll never hear it again. Because, you know, the radio station was in Portuguese and I didn't understand a word that was being said.

I just wanted to get that off my chest. You may now resume your usual, more important sadness.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #93649 on: May 30, 2015, 09:01:56 pm »

Not to take any wind out of your sails (because I agree with the vast majority of your points here and aren't trying to shut you down or something), but technically you can change how introverted/extraverted you are

Is there some kind of conversion therapy for that?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93650 on: May 30, 2015, 09:05:54 pm »

I caught a cold.  :(
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93651 on: May 30, 2015, 09:11:16 pm »

Not really no, it's more just spending lots of time (months to years) constantly pushing your boundaries little by little until they slowly expand. :P (A big first step for me was consciously making an effort to remember my classmate's names). Something else that also helped me personally was finding a more extroverted person and making an effort to befriend them, since I could count on them to help me keep the pressure on my boundaries up, but it's definitely not a "one size fits all" type of thing, so every person is a bit different.

Let me tell you though, it's still kinda crazy to be deciding to change things about myself and then actually following through with them instead of petering out after a few weeks. o_0

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #93652 on: May 30, 2015, 09:35:28 pm »

sunburns on my feet (and like everywhere else) and so no sock for me

D:

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93653 on: May 30, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »

Not really no, it's more just spending lots of time (months to years) constantly pushing your boundaries little by little until they slowly expand. :P (A big first step for me was consciously making an effort to remember my classmate's names). Something else that also helped me personally was finding a more extroverted person and making an effort to befriend them, since I could count on them to help me keep the pressure on my boundaries up, but it's definitely not a "one size fits all" type of thing, so every person is a bit different.

Let me tell you though, it's still kinda crazy to be deciding to change things about myself and then actually following through with them instead of petering out after a few weeks. o_0

I did something similar over the last several months. I went from being fairly introverted (as in, I had trouble having friends because I didn't really talk unless someone talked to me) to somewhat-less-introverted (I go and talk to people by choice now). The change is definitely an interesting process to watch. I'm not extroverted (and that's not a problem), but I'm extroverted enough that I can participate socially. The main thing for me was deliberately going and saying something to people, even if it was just saying "Hey" or "Good morning". Eventually, talking to people felt more natural.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 10:02:58 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93654 on: May 31, 2015, 12:08:32 am »

Yeah I actually had a Japanese guy at my work and he's asking me all about these questions of when kids usually move out vs Culture and whatnot.
So I replied 'The brave ones move out just after highschool, the majority move out after college.'
He's currently trying to figure out if he should live like he lived back in the homeland or try and make his baby birds leave the nest already. He's not entirely sure on their romantic prospects, ifyougetwhatImean.

Nevertheless it was an interesting conversation.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93655 on: May 31, 2015, 01:54:07 am »

I watched the last episode of Danger 5 last night. There is no more.
I'm not sure what to do with myself now. :'(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93656 on: May 31, 2015, 04:12:20 am »

Not to take any wind out of your sails (because I agree with the vast majority of your points here and aren't trying to shut you down or something), but technically you can change how introverted/extraverted you are

Err...just to quickpost, 'introvert//extrovert' aren't innate characteristics, but categorical descriptions of characteristics...in modern times. Nobody is truly one sided here in being an extrovert and introvert [as there's a lot of other factors influencing those behaviors], and iam2roy is right in noting that its a sliding scale of attitude.

Basically, its a branching concept of Jung's original notion of psychological energy (libido), as outlined in his theory of personality, which used analogy to thermodynamics*...as you can note that when people use the idea of introvert//extrovert, there is an implication towards 'energy'...which is somehow connected to how 'attached' people are in socializing. Which is where the confusion starts. :-\

*Energy cannot be destroyed but flows from one form to another; energy moving from one psychological constant, dependent on the environmental stimulus, can move to another constant {an example used was 'A student focuses on their studies, thus expending their energy there. The student then falls in love, thus distributes that energy not fully on studies, as the new stimulus occupies part of that energy flow}
...Which makes sense in analogy, but do note. "Theory" :P
Yeah Theories of Personality is a !!fun!! Psych Course Subject.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Disclaimer: Messy wording/format due to fast typing due to lacking time @net connectivity.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:19:00 am by Tiruin »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93657 on: May 31, 2015, 07:10:13 am »

Tiru dear, that quickpost is about as long as an OP I write when opening a new thread.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #93658 on: May 31, 2015, 09:10:27 am »

Tiru dear, that quickpost is about as long as an OP I write when opening a new thread.
Just means Tiru doesn't have as lax standards as you :D or that what she considers quickposts are based on the time it takes to type and post.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93659 on: May 31, 2015, 09:28:49 am »

Err...just to quickpost, 'introvert//extrovert' aren't innate characteristics, but categorical descriptions of characteristics...in modern times. Nobody is truly one sided here in being an extrovert and introvert [as there's a lot of other factors influencing those behaviors], and iam2roy is right in noting that its a sliding scale of attitude.

Yep. I live a little hermit-like these days but I'm actually quite sociable when I do spend time with other people. I was a shy kid, a party animal in my 20s, hermit-like in my 30s, 40s+ ? These things changes, they are habits, behaviours & attitudes as much as anything. Don't get conned in to thinking you are or aren't an introvert.

Edit: Odd note, typing 3?s gives ???
Hmm:
?
??
???
????
?????
??????
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 09:46:05 am by wobbly »
Pages: 1 ... 6242 6243 [6244] 6245 6246 ... 8167