Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465409 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #9285 on: August 05, 2010, 06:36:16 pm »

From now on, any time there is a match of smear the queer affirmative discrimination dictates that a percentage of lesbians must participate equal to or greater than their population. Doesn't matter if they have to bussed in; that match can't start until they're there.

... I'm guessing I offended you, for which I am very sorry.  I'm speaking as a straight female who has repeatedly been plunked into both "just one of the guys" and "lesbian" categories, to the point of being referred to as male against my wishes and interrogated on my sexuality while tutoring students for free (and not for community service hours, either).  I was mostly wondering why plunking cis-gendered lesbians into the "one of the guys" category was considered a good thing, because in my experience it really kind of sucks.  One could make a "well, in comparison, it's pretty good," argument, but that rhetoric has always fallen a bit flat in my point of view.

I in no way intended any offense, and will admit that I considered not responding at all.  My hope was to learn something, not to hurt anyone's feelings.

No! Oh, god no! Vector, since I've been here you've been nothing but sweet to me! You didn't offend me, I was just being a goof off !

That whole Lesbian v. gay thing is sort of weird; I think it generally has to do with the world being run by men, in a literal and real-time sense and a traditional societal sense. Its okay for women, because men think its sexy- or at least unobtrusive. Most people that I've come across who are homophobic seem like their big fear is that a gay guy will turn them or take advantage of them (or may just be thinking about it). That's a pretty lame assessment but it makes sense so far as I can tell.

Even though I was just joking along, I agree with this, because it can be observed in real western society. Kissing lesbians? They'll probably be cheering along as they make out. Gay man hugging? Burn the heretics.

Etc.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9286 on: August 05, 2010, 06:39:28 pm »

This is either sad or funny beyond all reason.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9287 on: August 05, 2010, 06:40:35 pm »

I lost my car keys while I was teepee'ing houses. I've got spares, but my keyring has my name worked into it, so there is a glaringly obvious clue to who got them.
...I'm sorry, but that is extremely funny. A good prank is funny, but a good bungle is even better.

It's cool, I'm just hoping I get the keyring back. It is all sentimental and shit, ya know? I don't doubt that I will get them, but I know the other person well enough to know that they will hold them ransom until they can "trick" me into admitting I did the work, even though I know I'm already caught.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9288 on: August 05, 2010, 06:43:46 pm »

I ran out of Firefly material, really i don't know what to do now
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9289 on: August 05, 2010, 07:01:37 pm »

There are a lot of men/women double-standards.  It mainly has to do with male sexuality.  Women aren't turned on by a man exposing himself, and would rather mace/call cops.  Most guys would think it was sexy.  Since guys have managed to get a greater foothold in society than women for the most part, these kinds of biases are reflected.  That's why you get tropes like the rape thing where it's okay if it's girl-on-guy.  Society, you crazy.
Shoes...

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9290 on: August 05, 2010, 07:23:38 pm »

Most people that I've come across who are homophobic seem like their big fear is that a gay guy will turn them or take advantage of them (or mayby just be thinking about it). That's a pretty lame assessment but it makes sense so far as I can tell.

I don't know that lesbian women are entirely happy with this, because they get caught up in their own shit. But queer guys, they just get sidelined and funny looks. I'm not a gay woman, I couldn't give you much of perspective, and it's probably unfair of me to be so dismissive of a Lesbian coming out as opposed to a gay man. I suppose its sexist on my part. :/
Okay that is totally unfair on gays. Just because they happen to like other men it does not mean that they see every man as some sort of sex object or such. I'm gay and even though my friends are average it does not mean that I 'fancy' any of them. It gets me sad when homophobes hate you and your treated unfairly for something like some 'virus' or stuff. It just makes me sad and angry and worried because, why would anyone be so cruel to someone? Also if your going to make fun of me or call me names then I wont stand for it. Knowing tat your gay from 9 and then coming out at 15 it makes you very unstable and anyone can really affect you.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9291 on: August 05, 2010, 07:34:25 pm »

I just played 4 hours of Lost Odyssey. I wanted to leave after 2, but there were NO SAVE POINTS FOR 3 HOURS.

What the hell, Japan?!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9292 on: August 05, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »

Japan is a myth silly, we all know that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #9293 on: August 05, 2010, 07:51:43 pm »

I just played 4 hours of Lost Odyssey. I wanted to leave after 2, but there were NO SAVE POINTS FOR 3 HOURS.

What the hell, Japan?!
It's all part of their plan to keep you playing more :P

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9294 on: August 05, 2010, 07:56:01 pm »

No! Oh, god no! Vector, since I've been here you've been nothing but sweet to me! You didn't offend me, I was just being a goof off !

Phew, I'm so glad =)

That whole Lesbian v. gay thing is sort of weird; I think it generally has to do with the world being run by men, in a literal and real-time sense and a traditional societal sense. Its okay for women, because men think its sexy- or at least unobtrusive. Most people that I've come across who are homophobic seem like their big fear is that a gay guy will turn them or take advantage of them (or mayby just be thinking about it). That's a pretty lame assessment but it makes sense so far as I can tell.

Though I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "the world being run by men," I'll have to admit that a lot of housewives would disagree with you.  The general opinion from my experience is that male dominance is mostly a puppet government, and women have been holding together/manipulating civilization for thousands of years.  Of course, that's not exactly scientifically provable, so I'll just throw that out there.  I'm not denying inequity in the workplace, naturally--I'd have to be insane.  I'm mostly speaking in terms of other, less tangible societal norms.

Similarly, I realize that anecdotal evidence is not worth much--but it's what I have, so I'll put it out there.  I understand why people can end up being afraid of being hit on by gay individuals (though I really don't understand the "virus" thing.  That's just weird).  I was pursued for eight years by a lesbian.  I've endured endless glompy hugs, having my chest grabbed/patted/whatever, and so on--to the point where I used to get in massive brawls with one of the people in question.  There will always be people who don't understand boundaries, of course, but there was a persistent problem: if a man did that, it would be sexual harassment.  When a lesbian does... well, I don't know.  If the pursuer were male, I would have gotten some sort of higher power involved.

Knowing tat your gay from 9 and then coming out at 15 it makes you very unstable and anyone can really affect you.

And then there's people saying things like this.  She was very unstable and depressed.  I was worried that if I withdrew my friendship, she would kill herself--she'd certainly threatened it enough times.  I couldn't convince her to go to a psychologist, and she was also my only friend until I hit 17 or so.  She supported me through my own share of dark moments, because we had both spent most of our lives being ostracized to differing degrees.  I might have abandoned her to her fate, had I not been afraid of the backlash against those who fail to protect a marginalized individual.  As it was, we spent a few long, miserable years protecting each other.  Her mother still hasn't forgiven me for what I couldn't do.

So, what can I say, other than that there's an enormous societal pressure to be kind to homosexuals and it backfires at times =/  I don't know if this story did any good or bad, but it's there, and it's true.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9295 on: August 05, 2010, 08:03:35 pm »

That whole Lesbian v. gay thing is sort of weird; I think it generally has to do with the world being run by men, in a literal and real-time sense and a traditional societal sense. Its okay for women, because men think its sexy- or at least unobtrusive. Most people that I've come across who are homophobic seem like their big fear is that a gay guy will turn them or take advantage of them (or mayby just be thinking about it). That's a pretty lame assessment but it makes sense so far as I can tell.

Came to mind when I read this.
Love yourself, think fondly of lesbians: Most people think of narcissism in terms of an overdeveloped fondness for one's self, but it's generally coupled with a hostility towards others. As it turns out, that hostility is rather specifically focused. Narcissistic college men were indifferent to their male peers (gay or straight), and actually felt somewhat positively towards lesbians. But heterosexual women come in for a great deal of hostility, which the paper's author ascribes to their role as validators of the narcissist's self-image.
I'd link to the specific study instead of the summary, but it appears to be behind a paywall.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

TheBroodyMoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of men; Slayer of /hench/ men
    • View Profile
« Reply #9296 on: August 05, 2010, 08:21:29 pm »

And to get to the male dominance thing- That's more a legacy than anything. There a lot of institutions and status quos that are far outdated but still linger today; good examples of this is  Redlining, which will have lasting effects well into the future. Men rule, not as a rule, but by tradition. I think there are traditions in our society that pit females against each other so that they fight amongst themselves, block each other from opportunities and dislike each others company. This is not universal, by any means, but I believe its enough to keep men firmly in charge for the last few centuries (at least in the majority of power).

I cannot count the number of times having hearing a woman say "Oh, I can't stand other women," or "I would never vote for a woman," or etc. Its getting better, but I think there is still a lot of it about. Now, I don't got a lot of scientific evidence and I would love to be proven wrong. and this is not meant to demean anyone. Its just a theory I sort of have... but wouldn't be willing to defend if it turned into a huge argument....

I- have to go...

*ducks for cover.*
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:36:46 pm by TheBroodyMoods »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9297 on: August 05, 2010, 08:39:48 pm »

There is definitely a lot of in-competition between women whereabouts I live. We guys are no worse, but my observations show less grudge-holding and more willingness to just ignore the factions opposed to them, rather than squabble.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9298 on: August 05, 2010, 08:53:34 pm »

Stuff

The thing about most careers requiring a college education is that you need to work extensively on them, to the exclusion of many other things, from ages 30 through 40.  The thing about having babies is that you're probably going to be raising them from year 25 to year 45, as a rough estimate.

This is why there aren't many female academics.  You cannot juggle tenure track entrance and intensive primary-caregiving simultaneously.

Dunno.  I can't say I feel like a subjugated woman, under the heel of a bunch of dominant men or a string of catty women.  Mostly, I feel like someone who's going to have to make a choice between children and a career.

Women fight among each other, yeah.  Men fight among each other, too.  My ex-boyfriend was nearly killed by some other boys in middle school.  I was even more of a twerp than he was at that point, and I only had to endure the occasional bruising/public humiliation/character assassination/harassment.  He had all of my aforementioned troubles on top of frequent curb-stomp
beatdowns.

In any case, my experience has been that if you can survive female competition, it's not very hard to beat out the men.  There will always be shitheads who need to be taken down a peg, but by and large the world isn't that bad.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9299 on: August 05, 2010, 09:38:04 pm »

Vampires Suck.

No, really. Vampires Suck.

EDIT:
The CMOA, CMOF, and CMOH pages, however, cracked me up a bit.

For the sake of the creators of these crap movies, here's the punchline in their fashion: THERE'S NOTHING IN THEM!1!1! I AM FUNNY11!! 101LOL101LOL101!1!!!1!!!!!!!1
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 09:55:14 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 ... 618 619 [620] 621 622 ... 8167