Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6125 6126 [6127] 6128 6129 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473562 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91890 on: April 16, 2015, 02:41:53 am »

I don't get why the topic is so incredibly taboo. Murder? Torture? Auschwitz? Trollolol, shit's hilarious. Get the kids in here, they love watching people getting riddled with bullets. Sex? Rape? GET THE HELL OUT YOU INSENSITIVE ARSE.
Most people aren't murder victim I guess.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #91891 on: April 16, 2015, 02:42:36 am »

Eh. I tend to think that if someone can't handle a given topic, it's up to them to avoid encountering it. I find some topics really piss me off (anger as opposed to sadness, because testosterone) and I've said some tremendously idiotic things as a result.
Of course, I am aware this is orders of magnitude less significant than actual psychological trauma, but it's the same principle: why should everyone stop using a word/discussing a topic because a small portion of the population finds it upsetting?

I don't get why the topic is so incredibly taboo. Murder? Torture? Auschwitz? Trollolol, shit's hilarious. Get the kids in here, they love watching people getting riddled with bullets. Sex? Rape? GET THE HELL OUT YOU INSENSITIVE ARSE.
Most people aren't murder victim I guess.
Maybe I'm just an insensitive arse.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91892 on: April 16, 2015, 02:44:06 am »

Maybe I'm just an insensitive arse.
Err...this implies an intentional action :v
You were curious. Not doing insensitive things intentionally with the full intent and knowledge that, 'oh hey this person will be D:<, LES DO EET'.
Of course, I am aware this is orders of magnitude less significant than actual psychological trauma, but it's the same principle: why should everyone stop using a word/discussing a topic because a small portion of the population finds it upsetting?
To put it in brevity, its 'negative connotations'.
And how you discuss them. And many other factors.
...It'll take quite a lot of text to fully debrief that kind of idea to your question. :P
But the event by which you're questioning 'why should this stop' == the event prior was discussed in a way that was detrimental. It can be discussed, but not how it was previously discussed (just that people get confused, then wonder what went wrong).
The word by itself doesn't usually upset. The details connected to it which comprise the context is what causes the upset.

If you're still curious: Probably ask someone present there, physically. Like: "{Greetings Professor}, I'm curious about ideas and discussion. Why shouldn't an idea be discussed {situation or reason}", to provide the foundation on the 'Why'. Why is there prohibition. Why is there this 'bad' or averse connection. What makes it sensible to not be discussed? "Could you explain how come some people are ok with the idea being discussed?" towards the 'What'. What makes this idea have such a basis? What makes the topic be prohibited, or to be addressed as 'not discussable'. What makes this word feel bad? Or you could poke at the meaning--as words are the verbal or written manner by which we transfer meaning via thought. "How does this topic upset people?" onto the 'How'. How can a situation of discussing a topic, turn sour? How are there other ways to communicate an idea? How can there be instances, where I said something, and people were ok with it, but other times people hated me for it?

Stuff like that. There's a lot of ideas out there, and I'm not that good of an interpreter(?) because I slip on my English sometimes.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:16:09 am by Tiruin »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91893 on: April 16, 2015, 03:20:26 am »

If you wish to make a joke, do it in good taste.
Uh, no thanks.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91894 on: April 16, 2015, 05:31:33 am »

I also choose to avoid good taste.

If I ever meet Hitler in hell, I don't want to say 'Everyone is afraid to speak your name'.
I want to look him in the eye and tell him 'The only reason that history remembers you is because of the myriad of Jew jokes'.

I am also quite sad that Truean needs to appeal to the lowest common denominator now. Bolded warnings before and after a post?
This is basically stupid people resulting in the need for stringent OHS, and the stringent OHS coming across as pandering. Dislike, in the world and here.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #91895 on: April 16, 2015, 06:02:11 am »

Good taste is subjective ._.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #91896 on: April 16, 2015, 06:59:39 am »

I saw innocence today.

As I was walking on a quiet suburban street, a crow fell from a tree, a good 10 meters onto a hard metal roof, and another 3 meters into a bush, and got stuck there. Looking at its helpless body, I approached to help it out. It looked me straight in the eye with its own innocent, beady eyes. It then flapped its wings forcefully and got itself out of the bush. I watched it for a while afterwards, and it only moved by hopping on its feet instead of flying. I'm no veterinarian and the wild animal would've ran from me had I tried to check, but I think it broke a wing.

I don't know why exactly it fell from the tree (I didn't notice until I heard a rustle right before it fell), but I saw another crow fly away with something in its beak. Was it an avian robbery of some sort, or am I crazy for even trying to connect the dots that way? Should I enter a witness protection program before the Crow Mafia puts up a hit on me?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91897 on: April 16, 2015, 07:04:41 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:18:24 am by penguinofhonor »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #91898 on: April 16, 2015, 07:10:37 am »

I can't do this any more. Either I can keep going and inevitably suffer from the same horseshit I put up with every day of my life, for the rest of my life, or I can just exchange a short period of intense pain for eternal bliss, and nothing will matter anymore. Either I can just listen to people telling me not to do it because ERMAHGERD IT GETS BETTER and keep on living when it would serve no purpose, or I can just not.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #91899 on: April 16, 2015, 07:14:52 am »

I can't do this any more. Either I can keep going and inevitably suffer from the same horseshit I put up with every day of my life, for the rest of my life, or I can just exchange a short period of intense pain for eternal bliss, and nothing will matter anymore. Either I can just listen to people telling me not to do it because ERMAHGERD IT GETS BETTER and keep on living when it would serve no purpose, or I can just not.
Please don't do that.
Please.
Seriously.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91900 on: April 16, 2015, 07:31:37 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:18:47 am by penguinofhonor »

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91901 on: April 16, 2015, 07:47:07 am »

Isn't that what people do in this thread though :v?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #91902 on: April 16, 2015, 07:50:10 am »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:18:52 am by penguinofhonor »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91903 on: April 16, 2015, 08:03:03 am »

Please don't do that.
Please.
Seriously.
Spoiler: Don't quit. (click to show/hide)

It might seem funny. It might seem counterintuitive. I've been there, my family almost poisoned ourselves with rat poison for group familial parting, but little did we know the situation got better in the later years.

I don't know what you've been through, but I am sure quitting via intense pain for "eternal bliss" is not the right thing to do. It's hard on you, yes, but the legacy you leave behind will be one stained and one of mourning (what of the people who know and care about you?) if you're going to do that. Don't do that. Keep pushing onwards.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91904 on: April 16, 2015, 08:05:46 am »

Please don't do anything permanent. We'd miss you, and you're only a couple of years away from being able to move out.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 6125 6126 [6127] 6128 6129 ... 8167