Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6099 6100 [6101] 6102 6103 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430098 times)

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91500 on: April 09, 2015, 04:17:51 pm »

I think the good guys lose in Frankenstein

And Cabin In the Woods.

(And I think most horror movies, unless you count the one person who always makes it out alive as a happy ending?)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91501 on: April 09, 2015, 04:25:30 pm »

Seeing all my friends having fun in multiplayer games (that I don't have because #poor) while I just watch random videos that barely catch my interest is absolutely a great way of spending a Thursday evening. /s

On another note, I'm really starting to feel the downsides of not having a partner really get to me...But I'm far too uninteresting, ugly, antisocial and anxious to ask anyone out on the Internet, much less in real life (nevermind how few girls there actually are in this area).
I don't want to be a hermit like this...I was like that once but I refuse to go back.

Mental breakdowns, mood swings and diarrhea really compliment all this as well.

Something makes me feel like this is worthy of a Life Advice section thread...But I don't know. I just felt like I have to vent, and this is only one of the things that's on my mind as of late.

A friend of mine signed up for a "Extremely shy Meetup" where he lives(from http://www.meetup.com/), and it helped him quite a bit.  Usually they got together to play board games or went to comedy clubs.

Even if you aren't dating somebody, sometimes its good just to be around other people.

The thing is, I get easily stressed when in a larger group - especially one that consists of people I basically don't know, even if they're likely to act similarly to me. So that doesn't feel like that'd help me (that said, thanks for the suggestion).

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91502 on: April 09, 2015, 04:28:11 pm »

The thing is, I get easily stressed when in a larger group - especially one that consists of people I basically don't know, even if they're likely to act similarly to me. So that doesn't feel like that'd help me (that said, thanks for the suggestion).

No worries, I'm the same way.  I've just kinda accepted that I'm better by myself than around other people.  Embraced my inner hermit.  Its not for everybody though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #91503 on: April 09, 2015, 04:30:07 pm »

If all that is true and representative, then that would make BDSM like communism.
Wh...
Bu...
I just... Could you please explain that connection a bit further? I'm not sure how you got to that.
Alright in theory. :P
And Fifty Shades of Grey did both terribly.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91504 on: April 09, 2015, 04:31:54 pm »

Why are movies so adverse to having the good guys lose?
Stories with happy endings tend to sell better. People tend to dislike it when the bad guy wins.
Well, there was Avatar...
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #91505 on: April 09, 2015, 04:35:28 pm »

I think the good guys lose in Frankenstein

And Cabin In the Woods.

(And I think most horror movies, unless you count the one person who always makes it out alive as a happy ending?)

Frankenstein is different in that I don't think it was intended as a tragedy. It's just happened to work out in the final cut that the doctor and the monster were more sympathetic characters than the panicking idiot villagers or the doctor's luddite friends
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91506 on: April 09, 2015, 04:48:41 pm »

I personally like it when the bad guy wins, gives everything a melancholy tint.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #91507 on: April 09, 2015, 05:10:13 pm »

I just watched the second Hunger Games movie the other week, I was really surprised by how good it was (apart from the sudden ending). Particularly when you consider how little effort that usually goes into making movies for that denomination. I was very pleasantly surprised.
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91508 on: April 09, 2015, 05:16:22 pm »

I'm sad because I complained about a bad movie and no-one agreed with me.
IT WAS AWFUL OKAY :'(
Snowpiercer?  Hell yeah, that was painful to watch.  It was a bit interesting at first, but only briefly.  As soon as they left the caboose (which was already a bizarre mass of overacted tropes) things just got so silly.  Which doesn't go well with grim.  And they made it so grim!

I'm almost positive they saw the first Hunger Games movie and were like "How can we capitalize on this... uh... steampunk is trendy right now, yeah?  So train.  Okay throw in a mysterious asian or two and get shooting.  Oh, and make it even more over the top.  No, keep going.  It doesn't have to be at all believable, just dark."
you know
hunger games kinda ripped off like, two fucking movies
soooooo

Also, I never saw it, but I've heard far too mixed reviews to give a proper opinion.
Even if Hunger Games ripped off two movies (I haven't yet seen The Running Man so I can't comment on that, although Battle Royal seems like a vague inspiration at most), it was still a good movie in its own right. As in, it had well-written characters and was enjoyable to watch.
Hell, even that Divergent movie, I didn't hate it because it was a blatant Hunger Games ripoff, I hated it because it was awful.

@Rolan7: Huh, I hadn't really thought of the 'Hunger Games cash-in' angle. I guess that could explain how that thing got made.
It pisses me off more than your average bad movie, though, because it had a really cool (no pun intended) setting. So much money poured into set design, props, costumes, so much potential, and then the writers just came along and took a huge steaming dump over it all. The synopsis got my hopes up that it was gonna be awesome. :(

I just watched the second Hunger Games movie the other week, I was really surprised by how good it was (apart from the sudden ending). Particularly when you consider how little effort that usually goes into making movies for that denomination. I was very pleasantly surprised.
I personally loved the first one but didn't enjoy the follow-up quite much- though perhaps that was just 'second album syndrome' or whatever.
The third one is back to being great, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #91509 on: April 09, 2015, 05:27:56 pm »

As someone who hasn't read the books (I have the first one, just haven't gotten around to reading the thing), but has seen all of the movies so far, the second one was by far the worst (although far from bad). Snow grabs too hard on the idiot and villain balls to be taken seriously (this is made much less irritating by the endgame "twist", but it takes to long to reveal that), and there is just a slapdash feel to the storyline that you don't get in the first movie or the third one. That may be because of them moving things around between movies (as compared to the book), or them cutting things out for time.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #91510 on: April 09, 2015, 08:16:23 pm »

Just found out than Stan Freberg died this week.  :'(

(If you're not familiar with him, read his Wikipedia entry and try to find some clips on YouTube. It'll be worth it.)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

technicallyAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Above User in a Nutshell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91511 on: April 09, 2015, 09:12:31 pm »

I'm drowning in my own snot.

Colds are terrible, especially when they threaten to keep you from going to Megacon. I really, really hope it doesn't. It's the only con I'm ever allowed to go to, and it only happens once a year. My mom already bought the tickets, too...
Although rare in most lands, the technicallyAdventurer is a common sight in the User Above You threads.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #91512 on: April 09, 2015, 09:15:27 pm »

Not sure how bad the cold is, but perhaps the con is worth toughing it out for? I mean, then again there's the bringing germs into public to think about, but you can combine resting and conning.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

technicallyAdventurer

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Above User in a Nutshell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91513 on: April 09, 2015, 09:20:39 pm »

I'm drowning in my own snot.

This, in addition to how I can barely breathe and my throat hurts and my head hurts and everything hurts-- I guess the cold isn't that bad otherwise.

But, yeah, I'm mostly worried about looking all gross and making everyone sick and I just don't really know.
Although rare in most lands, the technicallyAdventurer is a common sight in the User Above You threads.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91514 on: April 09, 2015, 09:30:51 pm »

Wear a gasmask? Or a paper bag, I guess.
Maybe you could take extra paper bags, and get comic-doods to sign/draw on them! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 6099 6100 [6101] 6102 6103 ... 8167