Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6070 6071 [6072] 6073 6074 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443806 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #91065 on: April 04, 2015, 12:30:12 pm »

Spoiler:  ignore. (click to show/hide)
* Allee does not ignore.
*hugs*
Wish I could help...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #91066 on: April 04, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »

Eh, it's a narrower argument than that. I can't say it's an illegitimate choice by the supporters, but I can say it's counter to all sense and reason that a pizza place is making its money off a political position that screwed its pizza income, and I can say that the business owners do not deserve any more sympathy than anybody else who knowingly makes a very risky business decision and winds up tanking the business. It's not a matter of brave underdogs taking a stand so much as it is somebody sinking their life savings into moon tourism.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91067 on: April 04, 2015, 12:34:17 pm »

I never understood why anyone would refuse service to anyone.

OK, fine, don't take my money. I'll just go give my money to someone who isn't a bigoted asshole.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #91068 on: April 04, 2015, 12:36:20 pm »

they dont want to handle your gay-cooties infested money

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
« Reply #91069 on: April 04, 2015, 12:41:05 pm »

they dont want to handle your gay-cooties infested money
IIRC they said they were fine with serving gays, just not catering their weddings.
But, I mean, they were never actually asked to, just asked, hypothetically, if they would.
Take a closer look at this text!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #91070 on: April 04, 2015, 12:46:13 pm »

It's ridiculous that they were harassed for it. If you don't agree with their politics, that's no excuse for trying to ruin their life.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91071 on: April 04, 2015, 12:47:05 pm »

The whole thing bothers me, really. On the one hand, refusing to cater for gay weddings is a dick move. On the other hand, harassing them for it to the point of trashing their whole business is kind of disproportionate retribution.

Edit: Fniff, stop stealing my posts!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91072 on: April 04, 2015, 12:48:08 pm »

Eh, it's a narrower argument than that. I can't say it's an illegitimate choice by the supporters, but I can say it's counter to all sense and reason that a pizza place is making its money off a political position that screwed its pizza income, and I can say that the business owners do not deserve any more sympathy than anybody else who knowingly makes a very risky business decision and winds up tanking the business. It's not a matter of brave underdogs taking a stand so much as it is somebody sinking their life savings into moon tourism.
Bauglir has made my point for me!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91073 on: April 04, 2015, 12:49:20 pm »

I honestly can't say I appreciate seeing political motives being an excuse to wreck a business and individuals' lives by aggressively pursuing them. Its fine if you refuse to interact with them. I don't buy from fast food chains like burger king or McDonalds. But I don't send them angry messages and flood them with BS calls either. That's unnecessary and rude. It doesn't help anybody, it won't change their behavior for the better, and if anything it makes participants look like the hateful monsters in their eyes and to others, and will prevent cooperation in the future. If someone wants to help bail them out of an angry mob that's fine. Great even. Angry mobs only create more angry mobs to counter them.

I honestly think a lot of conservatives refuse to accept progressives' ideals or tolerate their presence simply because they see something like this going on, someone being aggressively pursued in a modern day witch hunt, and decide they want nothing to do with it and need to avoid these people at all costs. Its really counter productive anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91074 on: April 04, 2015, 12:52:02 pm »

There are plenty of different kinds of people I don't like, but if I owned a business I would never refuse service to them unless they were actively harassing my customers, even if it was legal, and that's on an individual basis anyway.

I mean, if a guy came in with swastika tattoos and a shirt that said 'Heil Hitler' on it, I'd still happily take his money, but the second he starts harassing Jewish customers, his ass is out the door.

The whole thing bothers me, really. On the one hand, refusing to cater for gay weddings is a dick move. On the other hand, harassing them for it to the point of trashing their whole business is kind of disproportionate retribution.
I have no sympathy for them. If they want to be hateful assholes, they shouldn't be surprised when people are hateful assholes to them. Does the Bible not state, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #91075 on: April 04, 2015, 12:54:29 pm »

It's a sad thing, how interpretations go. :/
Like, Nowhere in the Christian Bible noted homosexuality as a sin--in quoting scripted verses, they oft miss out on what exactly is being done, and instead jump on the allegorical superficiality it represents, which then acts as a conclusion more often than not, due to lacking understanding.

Stupid social stigma causing all these problems.

By "Christian Bible" do you mean the New Testament specifically? Because it definitely says that in the Old Testament; in the accursed Book of Leviticus
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 12:57:45 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #91076 on: April 04, 2015, 12:59:12 pm »

I have no sympathy for them. If they want to be hateful assholes, they shouldn't be surprised when people are hateful assholes to them. Does the Bible not state, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?"
I love your take on problem solving.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #91077 on: April 04, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »

I would never refuse service to them
Read as "would never refuse to service them." Cannot unsee.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #91078 on: April 04, 2015, 12:59:59 pm »

Fundamentalists demand people live by a strictly literal interpretation of the bible, but they selectively ignore parts of it, thus making their choice of which bits to strictly and literally enforce completely arbitrary. After all, they're not insisting people don't wear mixed fabrics or eat pork. They pull that one specific bit out of Leviticus and ignore the rest of it (and the Old Testament) for being Jewish.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #91079 on: April 04, 2015, 01:00:32 pm »

AlleeCat: The point isn't to sympathise with them. If you go into an 'eye for an eye' mode about it, your whole side looks worse.
You can see how easily this could be used by some Fox News pundit.
"Look! The liberals are shutting down small businesses for their cause! They're pissing on the American dream!"
When both sides do equally shitty things because they think the other side deserves it, then you can't have a rational discussion that achieves anything.
Pages: 1 ... 6070 6071 [6072] 6073 6074 ... 8167