Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5905 5906 [5907] 5908 5909 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438585 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #88590 on: February 17, 2015, 10:38:15 pm »

Pregnancy is no less than one of the pillars of our mammalian superiority, one of the amazing adaptations that let us conquer the Earth.
Except for the bits where it hurts like a literal motherfucker and people die all the time from it. Eggs4lyfe
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #88591 on: February 17, 2015, 10:39:52 pm »

Biology is hard :P

I've read an article about how the huge hormone production  in women that are pregnant is because she is in constant combat with the fetus, who is continuously trying to wring more and more nutrients from its mother. Also why the placenta is made of some of the toughest cells in the body, so the mother can better resist the probing tendrils of the baby...

Edit: more specific example. The foetus produces a ton of vasodiliation hormones, the better to get more blood for more nutrients. The mother produces a ton of vasoconstriction hormones, to resist the foetus's efforts. The result? A delicate balance where the baby gets just enough nnutrients to develop. A mother who did not produce enough of the hormone would die.
Today I learned that children are literally blood-sucking parasites.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88592 on: February 17, 2015, 10:42:14 pm »

Today I learned that children are literally blood-sucking parasites.
Pregnancies are pretty much a copy-paste of the textbook definition of a parasitic relation.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #88593 on: February 17, 2015, 10:42:50 pm »

Source .

The invading placental cells paralyse the vessels so they cannot contract, then pump them full of growth hormones, widening them tenfold to capture more maternal blood. These foetal cells are so invasive that colonies of them often persist in the mother for the rest of her life, having migrated to her liver, brain and other organs. There’s something they rarely tell you about motherhood: it turns women into genetic chimeras.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #88594 on: February 17, 2015, 10:44:27 pm »

Pregnancy is no less than one of the pillars of our mammalian superiority, one of the amazing adaptations that let us conquer the Earth.
Except for the bits where it hurts like a literal motherfucker and people die all the time from it. Eggs4lyfe
Problem is, we're not entirely adapted to walking upright. The narrowing of the pelvis makes human birth very dangerous compared to other mammals, but despite that we've had a number of other amazing adaptations that have let us be successful despite it, and so it's never been such an issue that it was selected against.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88595 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:39 pm »

Source .

The invading placental cells paralyse the vessels so they cannot contract, then pump them full of growth hormones, widening them tenfold to capture more maternal blood. These foetal cells are so invasive that colonies of them often persist in the mother for the rest of her life, having migrated to her liver, brain and other organs. There’s something they rarely tell you about motherhood: it turns women into genetic chimeras.
:o
I did not know this.
It is terrifying.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88596 on: February 17, 2015, 11:07:00 pm »

Problem is, we're not entirely adapted to walking upright. The narrowing of the pelvis makes human birth very dangerous compared to other mammals, but despite that we've had a number of other amazing adaptations that have let us be successful despite it, and so it's never been such an issue that it was selected against.

This plus larger heads then normal for a mammal of our size makes childbirth without modern medical technology horribly dangerous. Meanwhile cats give birth to like twelve kittens and once and walk away fine[]Citation needed]

I am also no longer proud of being a mammal. While being endothermic is nice, pregnancy and childbirth, our main other distinguishing features are a mixed blessing at best. Whatever's wrong with eggs anyways?

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88597 on: February 17, 2015, 11:11:01 pm »

I do not think the human condition would be much improved if our unborn offspring could be easily misplaced or stolen. Plus, you've still got the problem of them coming out.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88598 on: February 17, 2015, 11:12:23 pm »

I am also no longer proud of being a mammal. While being endothermic is nice, pregnancy and childbirth, our main other distinguishing features are a mixed blessing at best. Whatever's wrong with eggs anyways?

Eggs are under less direct protection from the mother. They are easier targets for predators, and more vulnerable to environmental factors.

You are what you are, and it's a species that apparently completely fucking owns. Be proud of that, and don't self depreciate so much.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88599 on: February 17, 2015, 11:15:15 pm »

We're going strange places.

Important thing is, people are cool. They don't need to prove it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88600 on: February 17, 2015, 11:20:15 pm »

Deleted a bunch of details but...

One month ago I finally worked up the courage to try dating again.  Hoping that it would be different.  And... I did exactly the same fucking thing as always.  Moving two hundred miles and waiting almost two years didn't work.  I don't think it's worth figuring out.  I have friendships, and professional relationships, and based on how relationships go in my family... I probably did him a favor in the long run.  And I'm happy enough.

Also fuck the gender binary in general.  I can't help seeing it as a caste system with shitty criteria.  Probably mostly bad personal experiences though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88601 on: February 17, 2015, 11:21:46 pm »

« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:02:41 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88602 on: February 17, 2015, 11:27:53 pm »

Gender is an illusion, in the sense of a subjective construct. Truth is, everyone is unique. And I don't mean to be all cliche with that, but people try to sort themselves and each other into categories to make the world easier to understand, and no one can ever fit perfectly into them.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88603 on: February 17, 2015, 11:32:21 pm »

It's not just that it's an illusion, it's one that people try to impose on everyone else. I mean, illusions can be great. I'm happy to call myself a man, for instance. But I sure as shit shouldn't have to.

EDIT: And I mean that with regards to the whole system. Letting somebody pick "man" or "woman" at will isn't addressing the problem.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 11:34:15 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #88604 on: February 17, 2015, 11:34:43 pm »

I usually just don't care about other people's gender. They are just them... I'll call them what they want (He, She, They, Xhe, Etc, etc...), and from there does it actually matter?
*shrugs*

I mean, if you want me to call you a woman and you wear a tuxedo, that's fine by me. Do what you want, but there's no need to put people into boxes they don't want to be in.
Pages: 1 ... 5905 5906 [5907] 5908 5909 ... 8167