Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5716 5717 [5718] 5719 5720 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8913145 times)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #85755 on: December 20, 2014, 07:28:38 pm »

If you haven't found something you are good at, try more things. You might find that you like something - and if you like doing it, you put effort into getting good at it.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85756 on: December 20, 2014, 07:33:44 pm »

Start programming, learn to make games. Learn sound engineering or Foley or production management or 3d art, or 2d art, or one of the myriad other skills needed to make a AAA game.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85757 on: December 20, 2014, 09:08:30 pm »

I can think of countless excuses to try and not do anything.

Lack of care is a big one. And the high likelihood of abandoning whatever I'm doing for no particular reason, which I've done a lot. If anyone were to give me attention because of what I do, I'd likely stop.

Plus I don't believe I'm creative enough for any of the things you've suggested. I wasn't exactly raised to be a free-thinker.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85758 on: December 20, 2014, 09:14:52 pm »

If you push through and finish your degree, you can get a high-end job which requires you to think very little, which will support your gaming for life.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85759 on: December 20, 2014, 09:18:49 pm »

I'm floundering in this course.

As I've mentioned, my marks are abysmal and I've failed one of the integral classes of this semester.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:22:11 pm by BlackFlyme »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85760 on: December 21, 2014, 12:46:13 am »

Plus I don't believe I'm creative enough for any of the things you've suggested. I wasn't exactly raised to be a free-thinker.
Never too late to start. Also:

I don't have much care for anything. Or much of a personality. Or much of anything, really.
The part that I bolded? I call bullshit. See, we wouldn't like you here if you didn't have personality.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85761 on: December 21, 2014, 01:07:16 am »

A lot of the time it feels like I haven't got one.

I have few interests, and I tend not to show much emotion. I don't find much humour in anything either.

My friends sometimes refer to me as a robot. Their biggest gripe is that I don't roleplay when we play D&D though. One of them is preparing to force me to by running a game that's almost all roleplay, with little actual gameplay.

I just can't shake the thought that if I were to try something new, and someone were to comment on it, I would give up right then. I know that's happened before.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #85762 on: December 21, 2014, 01:16:28 am »

I'm floundering in this course.

As I've mentioned, my marks are abysmal and I've failed one of the integral classes of this semester.
As a person who went through literally the exact same thing as you I've got some advice, take classes in anything and everything that sounds the slightest bit interesting. Fill your slots with things like art, computer science, psychology, religion study, philosophy, indigenous studies, biology, physics, whatever that sounds the slightest bit interesting to you (try to get the best professors you can when you do this, it helps reduce the impact they have on your decision). If you don't see anything interesting then just take random 101 classes in different fields. Eventually you should hit something that you enjoy, and then see what you can do about making whatever you actually enjoyed doing into a career.

Personally I sunk 3 years into a mechanical engineering degree, with ever worse and worse grades (my last semester was pretty much a total repeat of previously failed classes, and even then I had mostly C's with a D or two) before I finally took a computer class, and realized how much fun programming was for me. I threw away most of my engineering stuff (though I did get a minor out of it) and ended up needing to have to go to college for a few more years, but I finally feel like I'm doing what I want to do.

If you push through and finish your degree, you can get a high-end job which requires you to think very little, which will support your gaming for life.
Sure, except then you can easily end up being one of the many, many people I know who hate their jobs and live for the weekend. Being in college, this is one of the few times in your life where you are both mature enough to realize what you want and don't want to do, and haven't invested too much to throw it away. Yes, you've invested thousands of dollars and a couple years of your life, and it's a shame to throw that away, but the amounts that you've "invested" only go up from here. It's better to throw away a few years of work now to find what you want to do and be happy with your job for the years in the future than to spend your life doing something you hate; or deciding to switch later and having to throw away decades of "investment". Seriously, if you are going to switch careers the sooner the better, if you hate what you are doing then do your best to find something to switch to now, don't wait.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85763 on: December 21, 2014, 01:53:55 am »

Take classes in anything and everything that sounds the slightest bit interesting. Fill your slots with things like art, computer science, psychology, religion study, philosophy, indigenous studies, biology, physics, whatever that sounds the slightest bit interesting to you (try to get the best professors you can when you do this, it helps reduce the impact they have on your decision). If you don't see anything interesting then just take random 101 classes in different fields. Eventually you should hit something that you enjoy, and then see what you can do about making whatever you actually enjoyed doing into a career.
+1000

I have nothing else to add.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85764 on: December 21, 2014, 02:26:03 am »

This would be my second course that I'm taking. The first was electronics engineering.

I didn't like AutoCAD too much, and I was thrown into an advanced physics course without any prior experience in the subject.

My mother has told me a few times that this accounting course is my second and final choice, and that whether I like it or not, it is my life now.

I honestly have no idea what I would like. My whole life experience amounts to video-games and a lot of abandoned activities that I've only tried for short periods before quitting.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85765 on: December 21, 2014, 02:37:53 am »

My mother has told me a few times that this accounting course is my second and final choice, and that whether I like it or not, it is my life now.

Well we've discussed your mother in this thread.

Also she's very wrong. I changed majors about three times in two semesters before settling down. Once before classes and after getting accepted, once after the first semester, and again at the end of that one.

I'm still in my CompSci degree and loving it (though not the Calculus. It was fun... The first time. Not so much the third.).

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85766 on: December 21, 2014, 03:47:17 am »

Take classes in anything and everything that sounds the slightest bit interesting. Fill your slots with things like art, computer science, psychology, religion study, philosophy, indigenous studies, biology, physics, whatever that sounds the slightest bit interesting to you (try to get the best professors you can when you do this, it helps reduce the impact they have on your decision). If you don't see anything interesting then just take random 101 classes in different fields. Eventually you should hit something that you enjoy, and then see what you can do about making whatever you actually enjoyed doing into a career.
I take it you must be made of money, because I don't think most people can afford to spend money on every random class that catches their eye.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #85767 on: December 21, 2014, 05:59:29 am »

No, the idea is that most colleges you pay the same amount plus only maybe 30 dollars more in class fees per class once you hit like 12 credits. That means you can easily take 2-3 "easy" classes for like two hundred dollars more (less if you torrent your textbooks), and with basic 101 classes that lets you hit up 3 different fields of study each semester (in addition to continuing whatever your current degree is). If your current degree plan includes some electives in that particular year (as many will) than you could probably squeeze in as many as 3-4 "exploration" classes at no penalty to your current studies (in fact since they are usually pretty easy you can increase your GPA in many cases with them), and for extraordinarily cheap costs. You are paying tuition for up to 20-some credits as a full time student in most universities, so use the extra time to take classes in anything that catches your eye rather than just having free periods.

Alternatively if you have the money you can take a whole semester of 6 or so classes of "exploration" stuff, which generally works best for people who come in as "undecided" majors (since this is literally what they tell you to do). At my college that would have a total cost of about $4,500; which while expensive, would certainly be cheaper than going through a few years only to discover you hate what you are doing, there's no way you are graduating in this field, and have to go to 2 extra years of college as I discovered. (Which will end up costing me a total of $4,500 * (4 - 1) = $13,500 more than it would if I had of taken classes and found how much I liked computer science over engineering as a freshman, minus a bit for the engineering minor I received).

Edit: Typo-fix
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 06:12:57 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #85768 on: December 21, 2014, 10:10:50 am »

Dead tired and whole body hurts :(
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85769 on: December 21, 2014, 02:20:18 pm »

I'm craving noodles right now but I don't have any and it's 5 AM. :(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 5716 5717 [5718] 5719 5720 ... 8159