Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5712 5713 [5714] 5715 5716 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8913147 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #85695 on: December 17, 2014, 01:52:34 pm »

Well sunburn has absolutely nothing to do with heat or cold. Just skin exposure to UV rays.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #85696 on: December 17, 2014, 01:55:08 pm »

Yeah, it depends on how bright out it is.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85697 on: December 17, 2014, 01:55:20 pm »

Well sunburn has absolutely nothing to do with heat or cold. Just skin exposure to UV rays.

Enough sunlight to give you sunburn is typically hot, though. I think the only exception would be somewhere like the arctic, where it's easy to get sunburn because of the increased UV, though it's still cold up there.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #85698 on: December 17, 2014, 01:58:25 pm »

Enough sunlight to give you sunburn is typically hot, though. I think the only exception would be somewhere like the arctic, where it's easy to get sunburn because of the increased UV, though it's still cold up there.
Every winter I get told by schools to wear sunscreen/bundle up when it's a sunny winter day because of how easy it is to burn from reflected light...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85699 on: December 17, 2014, 02:00:42 pm »

No, surprisingly enough. Snow amplifies the effect, as the rays that would otherwise be absorbed are, at least partially, reflected into things nearby. Such as, well, you. [Citation needed] though.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85700 on: December 17, 2014, 02:03:51 pm »

I've been sunburned on a completely overcast day. UV rays do not care for petty mortal limitations.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85701 on: December 17, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

I've been sunburned on a completely overcast day. UV rays do not care for petty mortal limitations.

...I don't want to go outside without a hat now.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85702 on: December 17, 2014, 02:05:32 pm »

From what I can rustle up of medical knowledge (take with many grains of salt), there's two types of sunburn.
A: Is the one that immediately appears and is 'cos you cooked yourself- generally leads to peeling.
B: Is the one that appears about an hour or so after the exposure and is a radiation burn- generally leads to cancer.

UV also apparently can penetrate cloud cover- though I've never gotten sunburnt on an overcast day.

Edit: Dang it ninjad.

How about heatstroke, for the analogy nazis?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:08:52 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #85703 on: December 17, 2014, 02:07:14 pm »

You can get heatstroke in cold weather if you over-exert yourself while wearing layers.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85704 on: December 17, 2014, 02:09:21 pm »

...I don't want to go outside without a hat now.

I always hike in a cap. Even when I'm hiking inside a cloud. Plus, it keeps your head dry!

Too lazy to wear a cap the rest of the time, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #85705 on: December 17, 2014, 02:12:34 pm »

I just wear a bit of sunscreen whenever I go outside. I'm too damn pale to take a risk like that every time.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #85706 on: December 17, 2014, 02:16:41 pm »

From what I can rustle up of medical knowledge (take with many grains of salt), there's two types of sunburn.
A: Is the one that immediately appears and is 'cos you cooked yourself- generally leads to peeling.
B: Is the one that appears about an hour or so after the exposure and is a radiation burn- generally leads to cancer.

UV also apparently can penetrate cloud cover- though I've never gotten sunburnt on an overcast day.

Edit: Dang it ninjad.

How about heatstroke, for the analogy nazis?

All sunburn is radiation burn. I *heavily* doubt you could get a regular burn via heat from the sun in normal conditions - otherwise people in saunas would get horrific burns with regular sauna-ing time as the temperature is even higher.

It's actually not even the radiation itself that causes the peeling, surprisingly. What it does is cause DNA damage, and once there's too much of it, the cell goes into Fuck This Shit mode and suicides to prevent the chance that something that makes it Not A Cancer has stopped working and will shut down, do you want to send an error report to Microsoft? from happening.

Unless it doesn't, and you're unlucky, in which case CANCER HOOOOOO!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85707 on: December 17, 2014, 02:17:40 pm »

It's actually not even the radiation itself that causes the peeling, surprisingly. What it does is cause DNA damage, and once there's too much of it, the cell goes into Fuck This Shit mode and suicides to prevent the chance that something that makes it Not A Cancer has stopped working and will shut down, do you want to send an error report to Microsoft? from happening.

Unless it doesn't, and you're unlucky, in which case CANCER HOOOOOO!

That was so eloquent.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #85708 on: December 17, 2014, 02:22:07 pm »

otherwise people in saunas would get horrific burns with regular sauna-ing time as the temperature is even higher.

Well... There was the 2010 World Sauna Championships incident...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85709 on: December 17, 2014, 02:42:03 pm »

I... thought that was a joke. Learn something new every day.
Pages: 1 ... 5712 5713 [5714] 5715 5716 ... 8159