Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5544 5545 [5546] 5547 5548 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465559 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #83175 on: October 16, 2014, 10:38:18 am »

Playing the latest borderlands.
It is exactly like a third game/movie/meme

G'day. I'm from th' moon. Wotcher.
Now I'm trying to figure out if Jurassic Park 3 would have been better or worse if it were set on the moon.

I would say better
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83176 on: October 16, 2014, 11:28:20 am »

I feel like I have no direction in my life.

I haven't set aside time to build skills. I've tried, but honestly, there's not many things I can find to build these skills beyond the whole lot of 'chores and such' that most people get.

I haven't figured out what I even want to do when I'm an adult. My brother already had an idea. I don't. That doesn't help me at all, knowing my brother at least had an idea before the oldest fucking child even began.

I don't know if I even want to go to college. I don't know anyone that I can reliably tal to IRL, and anyone I do know is either a country away, on another continent, or at the closest, a few states away.

I'm too fucking dense to figure out simple social cues and stuff I should already know in school. I feel like I'm a burden asking for help on simple things in science because I should already know significant digits because I'm a second year high school student and just GAH!

And I'm complaining about it because I clam up talking to people IRL. Hell, it's more of a recent development than anything. Hell, my last year in public school felt so much fucking better than anything I've experienced in homeschool.

Honestly...

I just want to vent. This is probably too vague to help with.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #83177 on: October 16, 2014, 11:35:32 am »

How is that a problem?

At my third year of college and I have no idea what to do with my life either vOv

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83178 on: October 16, 2014, 11:38:13 am »

How is that a problem?

At my third year of college and I have no idea what to do with my life either vOv

My parents make a big deal out of it.

I'm sure that's not how it works in terms of parental exaggeration = importance on that regard, but it'd still a thing that I just can't get over at times.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83179 on: October 16, 2014, 11:41:29 am »

Wait, you're only second year high school? You have plenty of time! Ignore the pressure to apply to college/uni straight out of high-school, take a year off if required. Don't sweat it!
Also, some people have more difficulty in other subjects, admitting a lack of knowledge is never a shame, only hiding it is.
I still have trouble making friends, so i can't help there except that, the few friends you do make will likely be keepers. My first few years of high-school really sucked, just know that it can and will get better.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83180 on: October 16, 2014, 12:36:29 pm »

We just have un-branded, privately owned computer stores, mostly. Also Chandi Chowk.

You would love Chandi Chowk.

Just picture your usual Indian bazaar. Now make it about electronics.
I just want bazaars everywhere. They're fun! :D

[/westernperson]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83181 on: October 16, 2014, 12:50:20 pm »

I would advise going to university as soon as you can, if only because a hole looks bad on a resume. Always remember you can change your field of study, though.
So yeah, don't sweat it.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 01:44:22 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83182 on: October 16, 2014, 12:51:53 pm »

Iwould advise going to university as soon as you can, if only because a hole looks bad on a resume. Always remember you can change your field of study, though.
So yeah, don't sweat it.
Wait what? I've never heard about a hole looking poor on a resume... I know someone who has done a fair bit of hiring for the gov. I should check this out.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83183 on: October 16, 2014, 01:05:14 pm »

Yeah, any time off on a resume looks like, "something bad happened here." When asked to explain the gap, I've had people explain that they were in prison and such. Makes for an awkward rest of the interview.

Also, get to college asap. My year off turned into 12 years off, and I'm just starting to catch up to where I was supposed to be a decade ago.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83184 on: October 16, 2014, 01:16:47 pm »

Well, I mean, you can get a part time job or something. Then there's no gap. I guess personally i really wish I had taken a year, because i ended up blowing a tonne of money on University with no aim, then not really accomplishing anything. Now I have a huge debt and nothing to show for it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #83185 on: October 16, 2014, 01:24:20 pm »

Suggestion: Provided the finances are there*, go to University as soon as you graduate. Ask your parents for advice on choosing a major - specifically, you should be willing to pick one you're unexcited about but which they think looks good. Maybe get a transcript from High School to help guide your choices here; look at something related to better grades you got. However, be very clear that you might change your mind midway through your education - emphasize that you're willing to let them guide you, but you're still going to make your own decisions if experience gives you more information. You should try to communicate that you're grateful for their efforts (even if you aren't) but that you are also being honest about how your future choices might go.

There are a bunch of reasons for this. Most importantly, you probably aren't going to know what you want to do anyway when you get to college. And that's actually fine, but parents will freak out. You can very easily change majors midway through, and unless you were very late in the program you're unlikely to need to stay late (worst case, an extra semester). To facilitate both this and figuring out what you want to do, take your elective and general education courses as soon as possible. These are the courses that aren't directly related to your major, but which all universities require in order to make you a "well-rounded student" - you should vary these as much as possible to get exposure to a variety of different disciplines, which should help you get an idea of what options you have. Essentially, you don't have to know what you want to do with your life while you're there. In fact, you don't have to know what you want to do with your life by the time you graduate. You just need to know what skills you want to get out of your degree, and that's a much less crazy-huge decision. Career aside, you just need to think of something it would be awesome to know how to do.

For handling parents, you need to approach everything from their perspective - they are going to see themselves as wanting to help, and deserving consideration for everything they've done for you. They may also have a sense that they deserve some control over your life. Everything you say should be from the perspective of "What will make my parents happy", even if that's not what guides what you actually do. That means, instead of approaching the conversation from the assumption that you're trying to do what's best for you, you should aim at explaining why it's best for your parents - that means emphasizing that you want their guidance, that you're not going to mislead them with promises you can't be sure you'll keep, and that what they want is a factor in your own reasoning. Letting them make what is essentially a meaningless choice (your initial major) is a great way of giving them a sense of importance without compromising your actual future, provided you give them enough forewarning that a change of major later on doesn't feel like a betrayal. If you can, put it in writing or e-mail or something so that you can bring it up if they do act like it's a betrayal.

In any case, however, you're still a 2nd-year high school student. You don't even need to feel responsible for knowing any of this. Just focus on getting through the year, and then the next, and at that point maybe start paying attention to what university to go to for which major.

*If they are not, go for employment if you can find a job that will permit you to save money, or else go to a community college or something else more cost-effective than university in order to get your general education requirements out of the way. Meanwhile, to get a feel for what University courses are like and to sample different disciplines, look around here for lecture videos and such things in your spare time. Absolutely do not go tens of thousands of dollars into debt for a university education without having a goal in mind that you think is worth it. Be adamant to your parents on this matter.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #83186 on: October 16, 2014, 02:08:10 pm »

Concerning college, here is what I would advise a and 2nd year high school student to do:

1.) Look up your local help wanted or the digital equivalent online. This will show you what is actually hiring. Healthcare is a big thing in the US usually, but there are other areas. Take what you see into account when making a choice.

2.) Look into community colleges AND 4 year colleges. Specifically ask the 4 year schools about transferring from a community college so you and take that into account as well. This will save you money.

3.)    I would say more but auto complete is sucking right now.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #83187 on: October 16, 2014, 02:53:43 pm »

High school isn't supposed to be this unaccepting and terrible. People don't respect other people, instead outlawing geeky kids who accept others and idolizing "cool" people who are constantly bullying everyone accept their friends. They don't try to love other people, instead they're obsessed with sex.

I was told it was going to be better than that so many times, and what do you know, it's even worse.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83188 on: October 16, 2014, 02:59:25 pm »

High school isn't supposed to be this unaccepting and terrible. People don't respect other people, instead outlawing geeky kids who accept others and idolizing "cool" people who are constantly bullying everyone accept their friends. They don't try to love other people, instead they're obsessed with sex.

I was told it was going to be better than that so many times, and what do you know, it's even worse.

ya pretty much
highschool sucks
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83189 on: October 16, 2014, 03:18:10 pm »

Here's my big pieces of advice regarding college:
1) Go from high school to at least community college if at all possible. As other's have mentioned gaps look kinda bad, and it helps you stay in the groove of actually dealing with school things correctly.
2) If you aren't sure what you want to do take as many electives in different fields if at all possible, and try getting involved in different clubs. Basically try out everything that you can in hopes of stumbling over something that you enjoy and can make a career out of. Else I suggest shooting for something that is hiring. I will drop the piece of advice that you most likely don't want to go into healthcare unless you really enjoy dealing with sick people. I know way more people who were like "I want to be a nurse" or "I want to go to med school" that ended up dropping out of it for various reasons, and that is a very expensive mistake to make. Unless you are absolutely sure you want to do that stuff (and maybe have volunteered a bit to see what the job is actually going to be like) I suggest avoiding the more expensive schooling-based careers.
3) The average person switches careers once, and the part of your brain that is good at self-analyzation doesn't actually become fully developed until a few years into college (assuming you started right after). Don't be afraid to switch, though definitely check if you can get a minor or soemthing in whatever you switched from.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 5544 5545 [5546] 5547 5548 ... 8167