Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5490 5491 [5492] 5493 5494 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9422650 times)

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #82365 on: September 30, 2014, 08:09:11 am »

I'm glad you read my message, 4mask! <3

* McDonald hugs everyone
I'm with stupid |
                      v

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82366 on: September 30, 2014, 08:12:59 am »

Well, that went better than expected, I suppose.

Went to the manager to talk about the threatening coworker problem from two days ago, but another coworker who was in the room when it happened already explained the situation to them, and explained that it was definitely not my fault.
The didn't explain the part where he actually threatened me, so I mentioned that part, and they said they'll take care of the issue.
I don't work with the guy today, so it shouldn't be too bad.
*Sighs of relief*
*Also joins in hugs*
HUZZZAH!

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82367 on: September 30, 2014, 08:26:02 am »

Argh. Been hanging out with a friend of mine at work a lot, since she moved back down from the GTO. I'm starting to feel like every time we hang out there's at least one dig at one of my faults. I'll start singing something to myself and she'll tell me to stop it's terrible, or she'll flip out because I open my mouth briefly while chewing, or other minor things. Just starting to be constantly aware of all my faults and quirks when I'm around her, it's not a great feeling. Blargh.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82368 on: September 30, 2014, 08:28:04 am »

Have you considered not being around them?
Or is that not an option?
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82369 on: September 30, 2014, 08:45:24 am »

Just tell her that it's bothering you.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82370 on: September 30, 2014, 08:47:48 am »

Well but, in general we're really close friends, so it'd suck to just cut that off.

Ya, this is the proper solution, I'm just not looking forward to the conversation because I hate conflict.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #82371 on: September 30, 2014, 08:48:45 am »

Well but, in general we're really close friends, so it'd suck to just cut that off.

Ya, this is the proper solution, I'm just not looking forward to the conversation because I hate conflict.
Maybe ask her why she's doing that?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82372 on: September 30, 2014, 08:49:32 am »

Conversations like that between closer friends shouldn't be much of a conflict.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82373 on: September 30, 2014, 08:51:28 am »

Well, I think it's a weird anxiety thing. I haven't actually talked to a doctor or anything about it, but it crops up a lot, so I should. I know it probably won't be a big deal to talk it out, and she'll probably even apologize, she's not a bad person or anything. But the potential is there and that's what I fear. I know it's irrational.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #82374 on: September 30, 2014, 09:15:21 am »

Well, I think it's a weird anxiety thing. I haven't actually talked to a doctor or anything about it, but it crops up a lot, so I should. I know it probably won't be a big deal to talk it out, and she'll probably even apologize, she's not a bad person or anything. But the potential is there and that's what I fear. I know it's irrational.

Well, it sounds like you're either:

a) Afraid of losing the friendship, which in itself is normal and commendable, but if you take it too far you ran into the risk of falling victim to abusive interpersonal relationships - if someone makes you feel like shit, they either do it unwittingly, in which case you should tell her that it makes you feel bad for the benefit of both of you, or knowingly, in which case they are the ones who should take steps to make sure YOU are the one interested in continuing the friendship, although you stated this is not the case; or

b) Afraid of conflict itself, which suggests that you think, consciously or not, that you're going to lose - which means you don't think your case is good enough. Well, it is. Emotional abuse, intentional or not, ain't a thing anyone should be free to dish out.

Also, she seems really, really neurotic. Or she cares far less about the friendship than you.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #82375 on: September 30, 2014, 09:23:44 am »

a) Afraid of losing the friendship, which in itself is normal and commendable, but if you take it too far you ran into the risk of falling victim to abusive interpersonal relationships - if someone makes you feel like shit, they either do it unwittingly, in which case you should tell her that it makes you feel bad for the benefit of both of you, or knowingly, in which case they are the ones who should take steps to make sure YOU are the one interested in continuing the friendship, although you stated this is not the case; or

b) Afraid of conflict itself, which suggests that you think, consciously or not, that you're going to lose - which means you don't think your case is good enough. Well, it is. Emotional abuse, intentional or not, ain't a thing anyone should be free to dish out.

Also, she seems really, really neurotic. Or she cares far less about the friendship than you.
Err, only if what is usually assumed, is what is.
As in, who tim is describing may not equal a D:< kind of person (snappy, with the paranoid//suspicious look when he does something something, controlling...), meaning appended aspects to the attitude. :-X Hopefully it isn't that bad.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82376 on: September 30, 2014, 09:34:56 am »

She doesn't strike me as the malicious sort, I think it's genuinely more of a "tends to not consider the effects of her comments on others" rather than a "makes mean comments to feel better' or something darker like that. The solution really is having a chat with her. I mean, either she doesn't mean it and works on it and our friendship improves as a result, or she refutes it and we drift apart. Keeping it at the status quo will just leave me resentful, and we'll definitely drift apart, so the best chance I have is to talk.

I think it's b) in that one, as it's not just this situation/person. I'm assuming it has something to do with my relationship with my mother (I love her, but she always has to be right. I'm not sure I've ever heard her concede a point...). But that's something I'm going to have to work out with a therapist or something, once I get to that point (I'm 27, I SHOULD be able to bring myself to visit a bloddy doctor about my issues, but it's easy to put off...).

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #82377 on: September 30, 2014, 09:43:55 am »

@Tiru - what I meant is more along the lines of 'volatile' - she gets set off by minor things, then does things out of sheer momentum and emotional inertia... wow, I've gotten really, uh, physical here (who the hell decided that the words pertaining to an academic field and to something usually contrasted with 'mental' or 'spiritual' needs to have his head bashed in. With a textbook.).

@timferius - Ah, I can see where you're coming from - I have the same thing, except compartmentalized to just interactions with her, and even that I'm trying to counteract. My mum is that kind of arguer that's just horrible to fight with - hell, when my parents were divorcing, she outtalked one of the top lawyers in the city in court, and she's an MD. And it takes a rocket-propelled diamond-tipped sharpened metal pole of an argument to get to her.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #82378 on: September 30, 2014, 09:47:11 am »

Today was... Eh. Not sure why it was bad, but frustration was building up. Good thing I'm home now.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #82379 on: September 30, 2014, 09:57:48 am »

this is what i get for not eating this morning
*stomach begins eating itself
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.
Pages: 1 ... 5490 5491 [5492] 5493 5494 ... 8167