Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5446 5447 [5448] 5449 5450 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9411279 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #81705 on: September 18, 2014, 07:03:07 pm »

Jumping in with a Christianated point of view

While I'm not homophobic
Others might be because it is a sin and also they may fear that that person is attracted to them

Eyeeaaah.
That point of view seems to pretty much differ tons. Like in our country, wherein 80%+ is Christian (Catholic), we don't see it as a sin. :v (Because in itself, it isn't.)
Just what is done under it--meaning its pretty subjective. Though all cases are often under the same law.
I started to post, particularly about the anti trans sentiment here, how it's ruined my life, etc. Then I didn't and I wasn't so sad, but was still sad.
*hugs* :S
I hate it that people's lives are being ruined because of stupidity and the lack of understanding of something--particularly gender, because of their environment.

I hate it a lot.

I share this sentiment. I also think I said in some other thread that the Bible puts way more emphasis on not being a judgemental prick than not sticking your manly bits in the wrong place.
Pretty much this :P
And that the Bible isn't against homosexuality, for one. It's in people's interpretations of it -_-
I remember muchly how many people keep on quoting Sodom and Gomorrah.
...It's like the single word of 'lust' meant everything pertaining to homosexuality :v Not that there is an obvious difference of what is done and the idea, of course >_> or even if those who did it are...bleh.

Leviticus 18:22

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.

Straight from the bible
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #81706 on: September 18, 2014, 07:07:18 pm »

Yeah, that's probably not the best way of going about things. Because we're also supposed to stone people to death if they don't sacrifice young bulls by cutting their throats and burn the corpses every month or so, according to Leviticus.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81707 on: September 18, 2014, 07:08:14 pm »

Yeah, that's probably not the best way of going about things. Because we're also supposed to stone people to death if they don't sacrifice young bulls by cutting their throats and burn the corpses every month or so, according to Leviticus.

Not after Jesus was crucified
He was the final sacrifice

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #81708 on: September 18, 2014, 07:10:20 pm »

I share this sentiment. I also think I said in some other thread that the Bible puts way more emphasis on not being a judgemental prick than not sticking your manly bits in the wrong place.
Pretty much this :P
And that the Bible isn't against homosexuality, for one. It's in people's interpretations of it -_-
I remember muchly how many people keep on quoting Sodom and Gomorrah.
...It's like the single word of 'lust' meant everything pertaining to homosexuality :v Not that there is an obvious difference of what is done and the idea, of course >_> or even if those who did it are...bleh.

The condemnaton in Leviticus has far more to do with the worship rites of the local non-Jewish religions (many of which are recorded to use ritual sexuality (homo- and hetero- both, but the former stood out more because it was used only for ritual purpose in those regions), while the incident in Sodom is not only contingent on a very specific and disputed interpretation of a specific Hebrew word (translated as "to know in English, many scholars insist that that particular Hebrew word means "to know sexually", while critics of this view cite other clearly non-sexual uses of the same word), but the sin of Sodom was explicitly stated later in the Bible to be inhospitality (which was a big deal in all ancient cultures, but especially so in regions such as the Middle east which environmentally tend to be less welcoming toward man in the first place.) As for the Epistles, not only is the translation suspect, but the groups named tended to be among the dregs of Roman society, and there is a strong basis for interpreting it not as "these things are abominations, but God can forgive them" but as "even those you consider to be worthless are just as worthy of the Kingdom of Heaven as you are."

Quite importantly, there are fragmentary records suggesting that, prior to the consolidation of the Catholic church, gay marriages were performend somewhat routinely by early Christian groups.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #81709 on: September 18, 2014, 07:18:58 pm »

We're also not allowed to eat pigs, harvest the edges of fields, pick up fallen grapes, make clothes from two separate materials, plant different types of seed in the same field, eat fruit from a tree less than four years old, trim our beards, cut the hair on our temples, get tattoos, or permanently sell land.

The problem with taking stuff out of context from the Bible (especially Leviticus) is that it's very easy to create laws that are not actually there, or enforce those that are no longer relevant. With the homosexuality example, my church believes that marriage is intended to be between a man and a woman, and that sex outside of that marriage is adultery - a sin. Ergo, a man sleeping with another man is adultery, and therefore sinful. Your mileage may vary, of course. See Lord Shonus' example above.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 07:21:21 pm by InsanityIncarnate »
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #81710 on: September 18, 2014, 07:42:16 pm »

Both Peter and Jesus (somwhere in the bible...) Stated that, because we were allowed grace through faith in jesus, we didn't have to follow the laws of the old testament anymore. It's this interesting thing called Covenant Theology, you should check it out some time.

Honestly I used to be in the same boat as Cryxis. However, If you look at the verses in the new testament about homosexuality (Romans something or other and... Acts? I think? maybe Galatians) are rather open to interpretation, as they tend to decry the disregard for marriage as an insitution.

You'll find, if you poke around the theological philosophy scene (very vibrant, if horribly neglected), that most arguments against homosexuality tend to be based around the fact that the main purpose of marriage is a creation mandate, that married couples beget more couples to get married. Honestly, i'm of the opinion nowadays that if you treat marriage with the severity it deserves, it really doesn't matter what the arrangement of your genitals is.

Also, Cryxis, I get that you're in some rough shit right now, but this is a rather risky road to tread on an extremely liberal forum. I would watch what you post unless you're 100% sure about what you put in it.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81711 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:12 pm »

We're also not allowed to eat pigs, harvest the edges of fields, pick up fallen grapes, make clothes from two separate materials, plant different types of seed in the same field, eat fruit from a tree less than four years old, trim our beards, cut the hair on our temples, get tattoos, or permanently sell land.

The problem with taking stuff out of context from the Bible (especially Leviticus) is that it's very easy to create laws that are not actually there, or enforce those that are no longer relevant. With the homosexuality example, my church believes that marriage is intended to be between a man and a woman, and that sex outside of that marriage is adultery - a sin. Ergo, a man sleeping with another man is adultery, and therefore sinful.
Your mileage may vary, of course. See Lord Shonus' example above.
1 Corinthians 7:2

But because of the temptation to sexual immorality, each man should have his own wife and each woman her own husband.
Is that better and less out of context for you?

I think I'm going to make a thread for this just to discuss Christian beliefs and have people ask questions about it
Just to move this whole discussion off the sad thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81712 on: September 18, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »

Both Peter and Jesus (somwhere in the bible...) Stated that, because we were allowed grace through faith in jesus, we didn't have to follow the laws of the old testament anymore. It's this interesting thing called Covenant Theology, you should check it out some time.

Honestly I used to be in the same boat as Cryxis. However, If you look at the verses in the new testament about homosexuality (Romans something or other and... Acts? I think? maybe Galatians) are rather open to interpretation, as they tend to decry the disregard for marriage as an insitution.

You'll find, if you poke around the theological philosophy scene (very vibrant, if horribly neglected), that most arguments against homosexuality tend to be based around the fact that the main purpose of marriage is a creation mandate, that married couples beget more couples to get married. Honestly, i'm of the opinion nowadays that if you treat marriage with the severity it deserves, it really doesn't matter what the arrangement of your genitals is.

Also, Cryxis, I get that you're in some rough shit right now, but this is a rather risky road to tread on an extremely liberal forum. I would watch what you post unless you're 100% sure about what you put in it.

I stand by what I say
I understand it's liberal but it also accepts other opinions unless I'm wrong and I'm not entitled to an unpopular opinion if I have one

As I say to each his own
I respect everyone's opinions even if they contradict mine
I am simply arguing my opinion and why I beleive what I believe

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #81713 on: September 18, 2014, 07:49:05 pm »

This has been over 24 hours, and it's still here. Move it to its own thread please!

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81714 on: September 18, 2014, 07:50:21 pm »

I was about to say that this needs its own thread. Theology is great and all but it does not belong in the emotion threads.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81715 on: September 18, 2014, 07:50:28 pm »

There's already a thread for it. Further threads usually get nuked quickly due to the inflammatory nature of the subject.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81716 on: September 18, 2014, 07:51:00 pm »

Well it has another thread now

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #81717 on: September 18, 2014, 07:52:53 pm »

Can we have a link to the thread?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #81718 on: September 18, 2014, 07:56:07 pm »

Here
There, and don't start about my link fu.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 08:00:07 pm by Execute/Dumbo.exe »
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #81719 on: September 18, 2014, 07:58:06 pm »

I...think you got something mixed up there with the link, Dumbo
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 5446 5447 [5448] 5449 5450 ... 8166