Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5440 5441 [5442] 5443 5444 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9415458 times)

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #81615 on: September 17, 2014, 11:50:55 pm »

*gives 4maskwolf a high five
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #81616 on: September 17, 2014, 11:51:59 pm »

murdered over the sheer fact that they are trans in the US than any other cause of death, save for suicide. I don't know if you realize just how reviled trans people are in the US and even most of the world. In some countries, it's actually the law to execute someone for being trans.
This is a sad plaguing me for so long--I wonder why they are even being like that towards [this certain people] when there's no wrong in it at all :/
I'm pretty glad its not in my country but it kills me everyday to see this happen.
...Err, my wording may be messy here.
Point is: This is true, and its a reality. It's not a good thing how far interpretations have prejudiced people.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #81617 on: September 17, 2014, 11:52:24 pm »

Gender identity is life or death for some people. I respect trans people not revealing their identity to people when trans people get murdered as much as they do, and I don't approve of putting off people's gender reassignment "for their own good" when trans people commit suicide as much as they do.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81618 on: September 17, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »

*gives 4maskwolf a high five
*high fives Cryxis

Right, sad thread, but I'm too tired and slap-happy to have any sads.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81619 on: September 17, 2014, 11:54:43 pm »

-snup?-

That's more a reflection on the person who gets the sex change, though, rather than on the concept of a sex change itself. If a post-op transgendered person doesn't tell their significant other about the fact that they weren't always a guy/gal, they're dishonest. That's it. Not all people who get sex changes are dishonest, nor are they transformed into dishonest people. Besides, wouldn't you feel a bit weird about telling someone something like that, especially if it affected the chances that you'd get to know someone better? You couldn't exactly fault someone for lying about that (initially, at least).

Sorry to seem vaguely confrontational, especially after your friend passed away.
*Ahem*
Sorry, it's just a subject I have a lot of familiarity with, and if I don't get it off my chest it'll just fester and come up at some inopportune time.
Anyway, the gist of it is: Does it really matter to you that this person was, at one point in their life, perceived by the general population to be male? Does it really matter that this person, at one point in their life, had a penis? Does it really matter that much to you now that none of that applies anymore, and that you like the person for who they are now, and what they look like now? If so, why?
In fact, this is a real question I'm going to pose right now to anyone who feels this way. Why does it matter that someone that you like and find attractive was not assigned at birth the gender they identify as? If it's because it feels dishonest, why does it seem dishonest? Because it's no more dishonest than not telling someone that on their 7th birthday they had to try at least five times to blow out the candles and even then there was just this one last one that wouldn't go out. It's something that happened in the past, and honestly, has no bearing on the current situation besides the fact that their vagina is different. (And, news flash: everyone's vagina is different.)
As to why someone would feel hesitant to disclose that information? Well there are a ton of reasons, but chiefly among them are usually that people tend to become violent and angry when faced with this information, and the person disclosing it tends to get hurt. A trans person is more likely to get murdered over the sheer fact that they are trans in the US than any other cause of death, save for suicide. I don't know if you realize just how reviled trans people are in the US and even most of the world. In some countries, it's actually the law to execute someone for being trans.

In summary, it's really hard being a trans person, and none of us choose it. Some of us aren't really proud of it, and I think it's best to respect that, and not make a huge deal out of it if you like the person how they are now. Trust me, if they managed to keep it from you that long, chances are it won't come up again for a very long while.

Woah, geez! *comically pulls collar to one side with finger*

I'm not saying that anyone should necessarily care about it or that it should really be a big deal in the relationship, but it is a significant event in the life of the person who underwent that process, and as such should be something shared between those two people. At no point did I say it was a choice to be born a different gender than you feel you are, and at no point did I make...hell, I don't even know. I can see you've taken a lot of shit about this in the past and you've had to make this rant to a million other people, and that's 100% cool because people need to be informed about this stuff. I'm sorry if I ruffled any feathers, I didn't mean to do so and I didn't even realize that what I'd said was really controversial (in this forum, at least). I'm almost certain that we would, if we were to outright state our opinions on the subject of this kind of thing, come to the realization that we agree on pretty much everything, but forum posts are not a very effective means of conveying opinions all the time so...yeah.

Basically, even if you've had shitty experiences in your life, you probably shouldn't make assumptions that someone on the internet is a horrible bigoted person just because of a less-than-one-paragraph post on a forum. Sorry. This is, of course, coming from a straight male who hasn't had much trouble with identifying my sexuality or dealing with it, so I don't really know the shit anyone else has been through. Just, uh...sorry. I guess.

I'm gonna hide in a corner now

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #81620 on: September 17, 2014, 11:56:39 pm »

Got a quiz tomorrow I've been procrastinating on studying for.

So, that's cool. Wasted, like, 4 or 5 hours now surfing between B12 and imgur because I'm too tired to do something actually productive more productive but can't go to sleep because I really should be doing that thing I'm not doing and feeling guilty about. And there's other work I really should be doing. Workload is slowly backlogging up.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81621 on: September 17, 2014, 11:58:33 pm »

Got a quiz tomorrow I've been procrastinating on studying for.

So, that's cool. Wasted, like, 4 or 5 hours now surfing between B12 and imgur because I'm too tired to do something actually productive more productive but can't go to sleep because I really should be doing that thing I'm not doing and feeling guilty about. And there's other work I really should be doing. Workload is slowly backlogging up.

What's the quiz over if you don't mind me asking?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81622 on: September 18, 2014, 12:00:04 am »

three pages and nobody figured that the transsex debate should be moved to another thread?

i had other sads, but now i'd need to go to the rage thread, and raging against forum members is banned there

fucking shit

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81623 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:28 am »

three pages and nobody figured that the transsex debate should be moved to another thread?

i had other sads, but now i'd need to go to the rage thread, and raging against forum members is banned there

fucking shit
you cans post here.

I think transsex convo is coming to an end.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81624 on: September 18, 2014, 12:01:58 am »

I haven't been acting like a bigote have I?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81625 on: September 18, 2014, 12:03:14 am »

I haven't been acting like a bigote have I?
You have stated your beliefs and how you would act but acknowledged that others have a right to their own opinions.  I think you have been perfectly fair without compromising what you believe in.

That's just my two cents

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #81626 on: September 18, 2014, 12:07:12 am »

What's the quiz over if you don't mind me asking?
...PreCalculus. graphs and shiz, at the moment. Everything the class has gone over since the start of the semester. I'm normally decent at math and have taken pre-cal back in my junior year of high school. Taking it again now because I might as well get the required math credit over with for my major. Should be easy, right? Except this is college and the teacher/professor/whatever...is bad. Just. Not a well handled class. She means well but it's her first year teaching, her methods are stale and uninteresting at best, her writing is sloppy and her explanations for everything is textbooky and made indecipherable due to her Engrish way of speaking and sloppy handwriting. It's just all around a poor performance, and I hate saying that because she does mean well.

Doesn't help that my perfectionism is causing extra pressure. Failure to get anything less than an A is a personal failure, making me feel like I should study more to make sure I can do as perfectly as possible, but I'm too tired to try but too stubborn to accept I'm not gonna do it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81627 on: September 18, 2014, 12:08:37 am »

Pretty sure there's a thread for this exact subject (if there's not, I'd be surprised), so it should probably go over there. I just felt like it was relevant to point out the kinda faux pas of saying that something was morally wrong when that person was kinda sorta speaking disparagingly of themselves. Aaand then I felt it necessary to defend myself when Alleecat got understandably angry. So yeah, take it over there.

Except I'd like some sort of confirmation from Alleecat that I'm not an asshole 'cause I kind of feel a bit inconsiderate after that.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #81628 on: September 18, 2014, 12:11:41 am »

Big-post-san, don't put shit in spoilers if you don't want people to read it. It doesn't matter if you hid a paragraph long aneurysm in spoilers because it's "rude," that demarcation is 900% transparent and it just makes you look like an immature douche. Trust me, i've been on this forum a while, and I have been guilty of that mindset many, many times.

Should we make another thread, I guess?

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #81629 on: September 18, 2014, 12:12:36 am »

There should be rules about 'if you are an asshole'
Rule 1: If you are reading this because you are worried about being an asshole without anyone intervening, then you aren't an asshole.
Rule 2: If you have honestly apologised about the situation that made you feel like you are an asshole but still have lingering doubts about if you are an asshole, then you aren't an asshole.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."
Pages: 1 ... 5440 5441 [5442] 5443 5444 ... 8166