Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5142 5143 [5144] 5145 5146 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9408516 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #77145 on: June 20, 2014, 12:09:42 am »

I have the sort of problem that I have no idea who most celebs are. So a "Do you think <insert film/TV celeb here> is hot?" type question leaves me going, "Who is that?"
Pretty true for both genders, actually.

I'm somewhat better with musicians. Somewhat.
Live-under-a-rock five! Seriously, to hell with that nonsense. I don't care about celebrities, and cannot understand how people get so wrapped up in celeb gossip.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #77146 on: June 20, 2014, 12:14:42 am »

In principle, I don't have a problem with it, either.

In practice, I've just never been comfortable discussing that stuff with people when prodded at random, and when guys bring it up like Neonivek described, they tend to get really weird about it when you don't come up with an answer that satisfies them.  They think you're some kind of alien or worse (in their desperate public displays of totally macho hetero), gay, and get into this aggressive interrogation.  Plus, they're more likely to bring up people you actually know.  I was asked several times in locker room situations which girl on the cheerleader squad I wanted to fuck most, and would always end up ridiculed for trying to dodge or express my distaste for the question.

And then with women... I've just always been annoyed with a certain hypocrisy that I seem to witness fairly often.  While I've seen men make fun of women for shrieking and fawning, I've never seen real ostracization.  On the other hand, I have very often encountered women who shamelessly banter on about their infatuations to really creepy extremes, but then throw an epic fit if their significant other admits on any level to finding someone else attractive, even someone on screen.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #77147 on: June 20, 2014, 12:33:00 am »

Can't speak to having seen the possessiveness double standard in real life, but I sympathize with

They think you're some kind of alien or worse (in their desperate public displays of totally macho hetero), gay, and get into this aggressive interrogation.  Plus, they're more likely to bring up people you actually know.  I was asked several times in locker room situations which girl on the cheerleader squad I wanted to fuck most, and would always end up ridiculed for trying to dodge or express my distaste for the question.

I've actually gotten more of that at work than I ever did in school, with co-workers being the topic. In retrospect, I should actually have called them out on how inappropriate it was, rather than changing the topic, but I'm pretty sure half my workplace thinks I'm gay at this point one way or the other. The fantasies in question were purely objectifying, and hadn't got much to do with being respected, loved, or having an impact on somebody's life, sadly.

As for crushes in general, yeah, I'm thinking they're an okay thing to chat about in principle. There aren't too many people I'm comfortable talking about specifics with, partly because I'm bad at opening up like that, and partly because I universally seem to develop crushes on women who're in happy, monogamous relationships or whom I cannot get to know well enough to make anything work in a practical sense. Nothing wrong with this, I figure, it just means that my options for conversation are limited to "People I strongly trust" and "People who have no social connection to the object of my crush, lest word get back to her and indicate a desire I have no wish to act on anyway". Tricky business, but that's all issues of practicality that have to do with how I process my feelings than they do anything else.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77148 on: June 20, 2014, 01:03:50 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:14:38 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77149 on: June 20, 2014, 02:46:01 am »

Edit: holy shit. sorry for the wall 'o text. carry on, everyone. nothing to see here.

Surreal mindtrip just happened. I think these are the moments that make humans feel spiritual. I'm crying as I write this, without really knowing why. I'm not the 'crying' kind of sad. It's deeper than that.

Here I am, in north Los Angeles, just past midnight, windows open. Frogs croaking. Pretty peaceful. I can't sleep, which is somewhat normal, so I'm just getting some work done. Then the croaks suddenly cease, as they often do, most likely to hide from a passing predator. However, shortly after the frogs stop, some very forlorn japanese koto music starts playing, with piano backup. It's quite... odd, but nerve-shatteringly melancholy.

However, it triggered the most startlingly vivid flashback I'd ever had.

I was in a sleeping bag, on top of a boulder, in Joshua Tree national park. Come to think of it, it was probably around this day and time two years ago. It was probably one of the most peaceful, serene, meaningful moments of my life. The stars were... unreal. The soft, gray-yellow band of the milky way cut the jewel-studded sky in two. It was perfectly quiet, the air was clean, temperature was perfect. Everything was perfect. Also in the sleeping bag was a very close female friend. Although I can't hide from the fact that... certain things went on, that was merely a side activity from our hours that we spent just talking about things. People, events, the stars, the universe - she was absolutely brilliant, by far smartest person I've ever met. She'd say the same about me, but to this day I'll never know if she was simply trying to make me feel less tiny beside her.

At one point that night, she paused in her conversation. Out of the silent, windless desert drifted music. Forlorn, sad music that was too faint to identify, but it sounded distinctly asian in melody. The same song I just heard coming through my window. The strange part was that, for all I could tell, we were alone in the desert. No human beings for twenty miles, at least. And, from the vantage point on our little hill, no lights or campfires I could see in all directions. When I got up to check, she asked me what I was doing, and I replied "Trying to see where that music's coming from". She asked, "What music?". Her hearing is as good as mine, and she didn't hear a damn thing. I didn't think much of it, she might have just tuned it out or something - and sat back down. The music faded shortly after that.

A few weeks later, she passed away. To this day, I don't know why. Both our parents were fairly disapproving of this relationship, and she didn't have any friends I knew of. I couldn't simply walk up to the parents and ask. (Perhaps it's best I don't know, considering we met as ward-mates in a guarded E.R. room, reserved for people who just attempted suicide.). When she was in the hospital, shortly before her death, I attempted to visit her. Of course, it didn't go well, but while idling in the waiting room, I was struck by a particular song that came over the speakers. A sad, emotion-packed song of what appeared to be japanese music, with what sounded like a piano backup. The same song.

Now, I'm not a believer in spirituality. Many would argue that this is some evidence for it. My education on psychology tells me that my brain is simply playing tricks on me, forging memories and making neuron connections where there shouldn't be any. However, every time I heard that song, including just now, it made me sad. I cried, even if I was not in a crying mood at the moment I heard it. I'm over the memories of what happened. I couldn't cry if I thought about her death right now. But, if I think about that song, it all comes back.

Brains are weird.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #77150 on: June 20, 2014, 03:00:45 am »

My education on psychology tells me that my brain is simply playing tricks on me, forging memories and making neuron connections where there shouldn't be any.
I'd poke on that education = trick part given my standpoint on psychology. :P

But that is one ...story o-o

The same things happen to me at times but in different contexts. A distinct melody caused by the thoughts, when the tone is thought of and remembered with vivid clarity and..appreciation(?), somewhat. Melodies such as that always hit me in the time between sleep and waking, and vice versa.

I'm unhappy I cannot hear it that clear these days.
Amongst many other things I don't mention in the sad threads for...reasons ._.
Brains are awesome, too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 03:09:09 am by Tiruin »

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #77151 on: June 20, 2014, 03:18:39 am »

-snip-
That's a truly phenomenal story, Ace. I appreciate you finding the courage to post it all on here; I've taken something away from it, and I doubt highly that I'll be the only one.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77152 on: June 20, 2014, 03:45:54 am »

Ace - I think what you had is what I call 'peeking into another world moment' - it's absolutely normal, the difference is in how do you experience it - for me, for example, rather than music it's images - for instance, a common one is a dirt path on an extremely hot summer day - so hot and dry that the grass turned into that slightly yellowish hue - and slightly to the left and there is a squat building made of plastered concrete, with large, old oaks casting a shadow over the walls.

Rather than forging memories, it's, I think, an amalgamation of a couple of very deep impressions that had an emotional impact on you surfacing from your subconscious - possibly some poorly understood limbic system hack, from my knowledge and experience of the effect.

Try learning the very basics of playing an instrument, and try to transcribe what you heard. You may create something that has the same kind of impact on others.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77153 on: June 20, 2014, 04:05:50 am »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:12:31 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77154 on: June 20, 2014, 04:24:16 am »

And then with women... I've just always been annoyed with a certain hypocrisy that I seem to witness fairly often.  While I've seen men make fun of women for shrieking and fawning, I've never seen real ostracization.  On the other hand, I have very often encountered women who shamelessly banter on about their infatuations to really creepy extremes, but then throw an epic fit if their significant other admits on any level to finding someone else attractive, even someone on screen.

Haven't encountered this either (yet)--mostly I feel like there's this thing where teen girl sexuality is pretty much a cultural joke. You're right, they aren't ostracized, but it kind of reminds me about all those newspaper articles expressly about picking on Millenials for seeking fulfillment in our lives. At the moment there seems to be a cultural institution of picking on girls for liking people, and it just feels... I don't know.

I mean, I really am not a person who wants to sit around with other women going "squee." That's just not who I am, and I can understand making fun of them for it because it seems really ridiculous sometimes. But I also feel like that's not very compassionate, and it doesn't feel very, uh... like friendly teasing. It seems pretty mean-spirited.

Dang, why you got to remind me of the Twimoms poster? >_<

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77155 on: June 20, 2014, 04:51:21 am »

so yet another of my family members claimed to have been kicked out of their home and that they needed a place to stay for a couple weeks except this time i couldn't help but refuse them because the previous time my niece was in an oh-so-terrible situation she attempted to seduce me, stole like a thousand euros of crap and ran off to mexico because the police can't find her for shit

also their story had more holes than one of these lotus seeds pictures

the wizerd is feeling guilt but also prejudice so it's time to drown it in one of the most unhealthy ways possible

namely a small amount of good alcohol

* LordSlowpoke raises wine glass

cheers

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77156 on: June 20, 2014, 09:22:04 am »

Ex-father-in-law not doing so well. Because fuck you, cancer.  :'(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #77157 on: June 20, 2014, 10:03:19 am »

It's my birthday in less than an hour. I dread aging, and birthdays make the whole inevitability bit that much more salient.

Welp, time to watch some World Cup and drink until I don't feel feelings anymore! :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #77158 on: June 20, 2014, 10:28:28 am »

So. School is over. I still feel like shit though. Just because I'm fucking worthless in any sort of social situation. I was going to talk to my crush today, because it one of the last chances I'll ever get. (Theres one more day of school next week, she's going to a different school next year), but she went to some other people and I decided to wait a little bit but I couldn't find her some time later. I really feel like shit.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77159 on: June 20, 2014, 10:34:43 am »

Send her a message? Email, facebook, something like that - worked for me once ;)
(What came afterwards didn't work quite as well, but still ;) )
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 5142 5143 [5144] 5145 5146 ... 8166