Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5114 5115 [5116] 5117 5118 ... 8159

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 8931007 times)

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #76725 on: June 15, 2014, 04:22:33 am »

...I don't really see Medical School being a deathly problem--if only unless there are detrimental factors he's meeting there. Even if he doesn't seem to want to change--that doesn't mean you shouldn't, though. You're not him :-\ but given his case--it doesn't seem like he's coping well with stress. Yea, it is stressful. 24 hour duties, coupled with 8 hour daily shifts. Internship is harsh, but if you survive the course in college--you are sure (as in, you've developed yourself enough to take the challenge) to be able to take on the real duties such as externship and beyond.

Though, I...really think you should both talk about this in an inquiring way. Ask him to explain what's bothering him; describe your situation, how you feel, and generally how the relationship between you and him and everyone else is...deteriorating(?). Keep contact with each other, and approach the situation with an open perspective. Probably detail to him what's going on and what...well, what everyone else sees, along with probably what you see there. Ask him to not shout at you. Talk to him openly on things you don't want done--knowing you, its the obviously bad things. Do not assume, in this case, that the other party knows what not to do and still does it--assume it under stress: people shouting at each other or raised voices also have the underlying thought of 'how they respond or act in x kind of situation'. My English is badly worded in this post ._.

You can't change him if he won't choose to but you can open all lines to give him a choice. It's pretty much your business given what bad stuff he's being toxic about. Tell him that. It's your business given that he's pretty much family. Tell him that. It's business because you care about him. Tell him that and emphasize it to his face.

Oh Tir, I wish this was the first time I tried striking a casual heart to heart. Usually, he gets angry, but in the off chance he doesn't, he tells me it's for my own good. It's always my fault.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76726 on: June 15, 2014, 04:23:28 am »

I spent a half an hour thinking of what to say and gave up.

* Objective just hug New Guy instead.

* The 20 aspects of New Guy hug back :>
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 04:25:01 am by New Guy »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76727 on: June 15, 2014, 04:33:44 am »

studies, relative grades, everyone else 6 hours a day, failure, stress to study, lack of motivation to study.

The usual, carry on. =_=
You can do it, Sky!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #76728 on: June 15, 2014, 04:38:14 am »

I spent a half an hour thinking of what to say and gave up.

* Objective just hug New Guy instead.

* The 20 aspects of New Guy hug back :>
I should just give up and hug instead. :/
I can't help people.

Oh Tir, I wish this was the first time I tried striking a casual heart to heart. Usually, he gets angry, but in the off chance he doesn't, he tells me it's for my own good. It's always my fault.
If one way doesn't work--try the other one. Ego seems to be a point here o_o but he'll soon realize he's just blaming everyone else but himself...if that's the matter there.
And it more seems like it given how you're not at fault at all there.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76729 on: June 15, 2014, 04:41:46 am »

I'll try striking this conversation when the opportunity comes back again. The guy's going off to a community hospital for one week as mandated by his 4th year course, and won't be back till the next.

Having seen this happen many times, I doubt it will work. I'll try avoiding to explode the moment he does, though.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76730 on: June 15, 2014, 04:45:02 am »

Develop thyself in the face of adversity o-o

Also, don't give in to continuous bias. xD

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #76731 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:47 am »

Hmm, IMO medical school is pretty bad (and the statistics seem to support this; something should be done about an environment which such high rates of burnout, depression, and assholery). However, that is hardly an excuse to continuously lash out at the people around you. Everyone has problems, but it's bad form to make trouble for third parties because of it.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76732 on: June 15, 2014, 07:13:53 am »

studies, relative grades, everyone else 6 hours a day, failure, stress to study, lack of motivation to study.

The usual, carry on. =_=
If they're studying six hours a day, especially if those hours are consecutive, they're being so inefficient it nears the point of counterproductiveness. Don't berate yourself for not following the path of idiots. Study smarter, not longer ;_;

I'd hope like hell an environment as broken as yours is would know decent studying habits by this point, but it sounds like it doesn't so... remember: Break things up. Long study periods don't help, and have been consistently found to damage information retention. Doubly or trebly so if it's on the same subject -- variety isn't just the spice of life, it's the lifeblood of studying. Small sessions -- 15-30 minutes is good, an hour on the outside -- spaced throughout a day is ideal. Finding ways to integrate your studying with other activities is massively helpful -- bring note cards with you when you're out and about, figure out ways to integrate the work you're doing in normal thought processes, record lessons in a verbal format and listen when you're doing other things, etc.

Wrestle ways of making it fun out of the aether -- little ditties and whatnot are very common and very effective. Little drawings can also work! Problem being a problem, make a 4koma out of it or whatever the korean equivalent is. If you can program (or even try to figure out how, if not actually set code to text) a tiny program that addresses an immediate issue, as well... that's great -- building an automizer for something is one of the best ways for learning how said something works. Get help, if you can -- I can only imagine there's plenty of people on B12 willing and able to help, and other places both online and in person with folks available.

Mostly, just... experiment. Find out what works for you. Don't give a damn if it's not what works for someone else -- they're not you, and if their method didn't work it's irrelevant. Their six hours are not your six hours, and the lot of them are shooting themselves in the foot, anyway. Know it's hard -- I've seen so many people in situations like yours -- but, just. You can make it your own. Define the situation by yourself rather than have it define you.

... maybe it'll help, some. If not, well. Know folks are hoping for th'best for yeh, and'll still think well of you even if things do go poorly. You're more, and more important, than some silly tests inflicted on the populous by an idiot education system. Regardless of what said idiot system is telling the people stuck in it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76733 on: June 15, 2014, 07:26:48 am »

skyru is actually hella coderbussin so that piece can be done i think

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76734 on: June 15, 2014, 08:42:32 am »

Isn't it just so nice when people feel the need to point out every minor flaw about you?
It's wonderful.

But it's not like I let that sort of thing bother me.
Nope.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #76735 on: June 15, 2014, 09:11:49 am »

XCOM Enemy Within is sooo difficult...

It's too late, I only have one grade left, I think ;_;

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76736 on: June 15, 2014, 10:10:48 am »

XCOM Enemy Within is sooo difficult...

It's too late, I only have one grade left, I think ;_;
It is never too late >_>

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76737 on: June 15, 2014, 11:11:06 am »

Sooo.. This is kinda both sad and happy, so, in respect for the dead, I'm posting here.

Check the post counts, check the ban list. GWG got banned by the Toady One.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76738 on: June 15, 2014, 11:12:37 am »

Wow.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76739 on: June 15, 2014, 11:14:46 am »

I did always think that would happen eventually, but he was still a prominent poster and counterpoint to a lot of the people here.

Where do you find the ban list, by the way?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 5114 5115 [5116] 5117 5118 ... 8159