Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5070 5071 [5072] 5073 5074 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429772 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #76065 on: June 04, 2014, 05:43:43 am »

Can't think of a better way to do economy in my game :(
You have a game??!

EDIT: Okay I've calmed down now. *deep breath* At first I hoped you meant you were making an actual game but then it occurred to me you might've meant a forum game. Either way I'm interested.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:47:32 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76066 on: June 04, 2014, 05:46:32 am »

You have a game??!

are you playing the game that skyrunner is creating and why not

point me to the devblog post where you described how it works right now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #76068 on: June 04, 2014, 05:52:25 am »

*squee* It IS an actual game!! *grabhands*

My sad: I don't have time to play a lot of new FGs since I'm running four plus my LP and I'm already a player in like five, so I still check for new games but only if the title is interesting and then I usually don't read the OP they worked hard on. I want the rising superstar GMs to have a good time.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76069 on: June 04, 2014, 05:58:24 am »

Blurgh, having trouble sleeping again.
* The Merchant Of Menace pokes brain
I thought we had a deal brain >:(

On the other hand, staying at a hotel for a few days because of a thing, therefore internet :D
* The Merchant Of Menace hugs everyone in the thread
*Hugs*

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #76070 on: June 04, 2014, 05:59:06 am »

Presumably to ask his work-friend out?

If so, another chance will come soon. It doesn't matter if you miss a couple of times, eventually you'll manage it.
I am 15, and it's just a chance to talk to my crush. Sorry for being so vague.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76071 on: June 04, 2014, 06:08:20 am »

Blurgh, having trouble sleeping again.
* The Merchant Of Menace pokes brain
I thought we had a deal brain >:(

Hey, I'd gladly trade your lack of sleep for the nocturnalism I'm apparently developing. :P
...Actually no, I think I'll run with this and see if I can become fully nocturnal. Just 'cause.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #76072 on: June 04, 2014, 06:09:43 am »

Quote from: LordSlowpoke link=topic=43236.msg5340150#msg5340150

point me to the devblog post where you described how it works right now
I actually don't have a blog post on the economy system. Or most of CW :X

However, if you are interested I have posts on things like libtcod&deepcopying, how I place cities, and uh, that's pretty much it. The other posts are all very deeply about programming rather than explaining concepts.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76073 on: June 04, 2014, 06:26:58 am »

Surely that just means it's already good.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #76074 on: June 04, 2014, 06:30:35 am »

Nah, it sucks. It's not sufficiently complex enough. More of a randomly generated thing than a procedurally generated one. It also doesn't feel very effective.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76075 on: June 04, 2014, 06:49:08 am »

What about having lists of Raw Goods, Survival Goods, Industrial Goods and Luxury Goods? Each list having things like iron and coal for raw, food and clothe for survival, tools and sails and boats for industrial, and gems and jewellery for luxury. Then the game would generate items from those lists randomly across the world, depending on type. Like survival goods would be scattered mostly evenly, while raw goods would have a higher gradient, like coal and iron mines, or large lumber forests. Industrial goods and luxury goods would be mostly in cities and larger towns where the artisans (time frame? medieval, early industrial, nebulously fantasty-era?) would be situated, with smaller villages having a tiny blacksmith or something that makes a minute number of industrial goods.

Then the price is dependent on the gradient of items, I.E. if there are a large number of goods the price is way down, if there are a lower number of that good then the price is higher. Then you add in traders who go from higher-good regions, buy the stuff, and then go to lower-good regions and sell it at profit, normalizing the price (to an extent, it'd still be profitable). The price would also depend on demand, a village may only have one blacksmith but that's all it needs. If it grew, more blacksmiths would be needed, raising demand for raw resources or for industrial goods before the blacksmiths open up.

That's one way to do it~ The list means you can abstract it so that it's easier to program. You can, of course, go detailed so that you ACTUALLY have iron and stuff, instead of how I'm imagining it where it's just termed "Raw Resources". The benefits of detailing is that you can have a higher gradient of iron in one area, coal in another, and a steel mill in a third, instead of all of those being "raw resources". But it'd be harder to program.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 06:53:44 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #76076 on: June 04, 2014, 07:23:07 am »

Move your suggestions to her thread, peoples :p

Also hii Merchant! :D

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76077 on: June 04, 2014, 10:44:18 am »

Alexander Shulgin is dead.

He was the leading researcher in the field of recreational substance chemistry and pharmacology; he re-discovered MDMA, and invented several classes of psychedelics. With him, the world has lost one of its truly great inhabitants.

May he rest in peace.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76078 on: June 04, 2014, 01:45:34 pm »

Alexander Shulgin is dead.

He was the leading researcher in the field of recreational substance chemistry and pharmacology; he re-discovered MDMA, and invented several classes of psychedelics. With him, the world has lost one of its truly great inhabitants.

May he rest in peace.
I've heard of him before, but I've just started reading his books, and he is amazingly descriptive and detailed both in his chemical notes and his psychological observations. It's a shame one can't buy the Shulgins' books on paper in Russia becase our anti-drug people decided to be assholes.

Still, he was eighty-eight years old. That's a venerable age. I hope Ann Shulgin is as okay as possible in this situation, though.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #76079 on: June 04, 2014, 02:16:33 pm »

So I thought I might as well start watching Orange is the New Black. Heard a lot of good stuff about it.

Looked awesome at first, until I saw her:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't know why, but I absolutely cannot stand this woman, and now I can't watch an (I assume) awesome series >.>
Pages: 1 ... 5070 5071 [5072] 5073 5074 ... 8167