Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5020 5021 [5022] 5023 5024 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9426668 times)

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #75315 on: May 24, 2014, 12:57:51 am »

That's a dubious rationalization, all pro-pills reasons sounds dubious. It just doesn't ring right in my head. The only thing lending them credence is I'm not completely trusting of my own rationales.

I'm neither pro- nor anti-pill.  That's the point.  It's your life, to live as you will; if a small kickstart is needed to get your engines firing on all cylinders, there's no shame in that.  That's the point I was aiming to make.  Live life as you see best; all that others can do is wish that it involves the 'living' part.

Nobody has the right to tell you what to put, or not put, into your own body.  Just remember, if you can, that depression often comes with a heavy burden of guilt and shame, which can easily feed itself.

Whatever your choice, may it work out for you!  Even strangers are on your side.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #75316 on: May 24, 2014, 01:26:00 am »

If you feel they're changing you, you don't have to keep taking them-just give them a try, and see if it improves things.
Actually, no. If you feel like they're changing you in some really negative way, you go talk to the doctor who proscribed them, just like any other prescription which starts having unexpected side-effects. If it is something which is normal with the medication, they can help talk you through it and let you know what to expect. And if not, they can likely offer alternative medications to which you won't have that sort of reaction.

Stopping medication without consulting a doctor can be just as dangerous as self-medicating, especially with things like antidepressants/psychiatric drugs, where you're suddenly removing some neurologically inhibiting or stimulating chemical from your body (with which it had previously had enough time to start adapting to). For antidepressants, that tends to come in the form of severe waves of depression. There's a reason the phrase 'off your meds' is synonymous with 'crazy.'

I don't see anything demeaning in taking antidepressants to end depression. I personally think you should definitely go for it.

My problem is that I'm not sure if it's even necessary. Like, if things are going OK in my life, then yeah I feel ok and good. It's just that I just hate my lifestyle and my loneliness, so I'm just always morose and negative.

EDIT: I do feel like an OK person, just that I'm stuck acting like a depressed person due to my circumstances.
And yes, you should see a doctor about depression if it is, in any way, inhibiting or crippling your ability to live the sort of life you want to. Getting sad or anxious from time to time is normal and should be expected in life. Staying in your apartment most weekends embroiled in a mix of anxiety, sadness, guilt, and self-loathing over staying in your apartment doing nothing all weekend, on the other hand, is not something which should be expected or become normal as it is actively making your life awful.

Keep in mind, your brain is itself an organ made of tissue and cells like any other. Taking the 'artificial' way out shouldn't be stigmatized or thought of as 'the easy way out' any more than antibiotics or surgery. When it comes to clinical depression, you can't really will it away any more than you could will away an infected tooth or a bad back. And that's why your therapist is suggesting seeing a doctor about medication: they have observed you and decided that the universe has decided to fuck with you in a way that, through no fault of your own, you have no control over.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #75317 on: May 24, 2014, 03:23:07 am »

So the girl I've been interested was finally at work the same time I was there. Thing is, she was just starting her shift, and mine was just ending. I panicked on the inside, since it seemed my opportunity had come up a bit unexpectedly. So I finished off the last few minutes of my shift with some busywork while I thought of what to do, and I eventually decided I would be Mr. Smooth and buy something so I could ask her out at the register.

But when I got to her register and as she was checking me out, I froze up. Suddenly I was filled with all kinds of doubt: self-doubt, doubt if it would be worth pursuing a relationship, doubt about whether it was even a good idea to ask out a coworker, and the fact that there was a counter between us and some guy behind me made me feel like the situation wasn't right for it. So I paid for my stuff, went to my car, and felt like a dumbass.
You're not alone. This sort of thing happens to me too. And, as far as I can tell, to many, many other people.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:26:09 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #75318 on: May 24, 2014, 04:11:48 am »

So the girl I've been interested was finally at work the same time I was there. Thing is, she was just starting her shift, and mine was just ending. I panicked on the inside, since it seemed my opportunity had come up a bit unexpectedly. So I finished off the last few minutes of my shift with some busywork while I thought of what to do, and I eventually decided I would be Mr. Smooth and buy something so I could ask her out at the register.

But when I got to her register and as she was checking me out, I froze up. Suddenly I was filled with all kinds of doubt: self-doubt, doubt if it would be worth pursuing a relationship, doubt about whether it was even a good idea to ask out a coworker, and the fact that there was a counter between us and some guy behind me made me feel like the situation wasn't right for it. So I paid for my stuff, went to my car, and felt like a dumbass.
You're not alone. This sort of thing happens to me too. And, as far as I can tell, to many, many other people.

Same thing basically happened to me two days ago re: going to bar. I was actually going to go with some people I know, but they all ended up not going for various reasons. I planned to go talk to a random someone in case that happened, but then basically this happened. Massive attack of self-doubt. The fact that a guy from my course, who is a horrible and mildly irritating person was there didn't help.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75319 on: May 24, 2014, 04:14:04 am »

I can't concentrate on making a GUI for equipping parts to ships ;_; been at it for hours..

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #75320 on: May 24, 2014, 06:41:15 am »

*raises hand*
Pretty much every time I try to talk to new people whilst sober, in fact. :P

My current sad: too broke to go out tonight, ended up having a several hour nap instead. And you know what? Two friends asked what I was doing while I slept. Apparently I actually have friends to do stuff with these days- if I wasn't sleeping.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #75321 on: May 24, 2014, 08:45:19 am »

Ugh, this night just collapsed. There are massive protests going on in Seoul, and this caused our professors to go all paranoid on us and prevent anybody from having their free time today, after also denying it yesterday due to it being our day of arrival. Suffice it to say, that put several people on edge right away. But what really got me is when we got back to our guest house, we made the agreement to stay in the general area to get snacks and drinks or whatever for the night. Of course, it took my classmates the grand total of one block to get distracted by a pastry shop and be sidetracked onto it instead of going to 7-11, as we had agreed. Already frustrated and not having a key, I pretty much gave up on it and went back to my room, because I just know those fuckers are going to mess around, not come close to getting our objective, and probably would end up locking me out if I stayed with them.

So here I am, tired and thirsty in the dark.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #75322 on: May 24, 2014, 09:14:50 am »

Looking to rent local property.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75323 on: May 24, 2014, 09:16:21 am »

I messed up not doing things I really should have and now I'm going to be cut off from contact with a lot of people for a week.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #75324 on: May 24, 2014, 10:12:43 am »

I'm sad that SMF avatars are so tiny compared to this site. I wanted to use

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

as my avatar but it doesn't look very good shrunken down.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #75325 on: May 24, 2014, 01:13:09 pm »

Follow up to this: I saw her again today, but it was just as I was in the middle of heading out the door. And I just kept on walking because the situation came up unexpectedly and I didn't know what to do. When I thought it over in the car, she was at the far register this time, so it probably would have felt more like we had some privacy than yesterday, so maybe it would have felt more comfortable this time.

But I blew my chance, and now I have no idea when I'll see her again; most likely it will be another couple weeks, and I don't really want to go through that again. Part of me wants to just drive back there right now and ask her while I know she's still there; but another part of me feels like that'd be over-dramatic, that it wouldn't work out the way I think it would, that I'd mess it all up and end up looking stupid.

EDIT: Oh, God, I even thought of a cheesy line I could use:
Me:"I came back because I forgot something."
Her:"What?"
Me:"To ask you out."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:15:10 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #75326 on: May 24, 2014, 01:15:38 pm »

Follow up to this: I saw her again today, but it was just as I was in the middle of heading out the door. And I just kept on walking because the situation came up unexpectedly and I didn't know what to do. When I thought it over in the car, she was at the far register this time, so it probably would have felt more like we had some privacy than yesterday, so maybe it would have felt more comfortable this time.

But I blew my chance, and now I have no idea when I'll see her again; most likely it will be another couple weeks, and I don't really want to go through that again. Part of me wants to just drive back there right now and ask her while I know she's still there; but another part of me feels like that'd be over-dramatic, that it wouldn't work out the way I think it would, that I'd mess it all up and end up looking stupid.

Some wise men on this very forum gave me some advice once.
"Just do it, the regret you'll feel from not doing so will last a lot longer than if she says 'no.'"
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #75327 on: May 24, 2014, 01:52:05 pm »

Some wise men on this very forum gave me some advice once.
"Just do it, the regret you'll feel from not doing so will last a lot longer than if she says 'no.'"
Alright, wish me luck, Bay12.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #75328 on: May 24, 2014, 01:58:52 pm »

My advice is that being as you are sucks. You have only two options, both of which stem from the same thing: Killing it. One is basically suck up your pride, think yourself out beforehand, and ask. Pros are small chance of success. Cons are the bitterness of failure. The other, the one I recommend, is to totally and fully commit yourself to forgetting about it: Fight down any romantic urge, end any day-dreaming, and stop worrying. Pros are self-control training, cons are it takes longer.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #75329 on: May 24, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »

I find it funny that people keep talking about how it's so hard to start a relationship, meanwhile, all of my relationships have started with "Hey, do you want to go out with me?" "Sure." or some variation. No awkward one-sided flirting, no longing from across the room. It's always ben someone I was already hanging out with previously and it's always just come up casually.
Maybe it's just that I see relationships differently.
Pages: 1 ... 5020 5021 [5022] 5023 5024 ... 8167