Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4844 4845 [4846] 4847 4848 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448123 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72675 on: April 07, 2014, 11:27:29 am »

Humans are great, people suck, persons are hit or miss.

That's how it works.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #72676 on: April 07, 2014, 12:25:01 pm »

So with Youtube Options evidently going to a subscription model, I'm in dire need of another extension that disables ads and forces the flash player. Any suggestions? Alternatively, since I don't remember what day that announcement happened on, if that was an April Fool's day prank, I'd be happy to learn that I'm a moron.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #72677 on: April 07, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »

I would like to know if there's an alternative too, or if it was a day late joke. After using YTO for a bit I don't think I can use youtube tolerably without it now. Or something like it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #72678 on: April 07, 2014, 01:53:08 pm »

Too much. Green. Iced tea.

Dx

LIES. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS TOO MUCH GREEN ICED TEA.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #72679 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:38 pm »

On the theme of stress, school exams are coming up. I'm stressed. At least I haven't broken into a three day long nose bleed yet, as I did for both the mocks of my GCSEs, and my actual GCSEs. Important exams make me want to curl in a corner with a book.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72680 on: April 07, 2014, 02:24:03 pm »

Why?
Total misanthropy is depressing, although most people have occasional bouts of it.
I feel that there is an issue with your logic somewhere.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72681 on: April 07, 2014, 02:31:41 pm »

Bout of reluctance is reaching it's peak, slowing down all my work.
God I feel tired.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 02:33:58 pm by Mindmaker »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72682 on: April 07, 2014, 03:12:08 pm »

I don't think humans need to be liked more, not after how they treat each other, on a completely related note, school sucks
Don't mean to point you out specifically or anything, but I've never understood the logic of:

Humans hurt/don't care about each other
Therefore humans suck
Therefore humans should be hurt/not cared about

Seems awfully cyclical.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #72683 on: April 07, 2014, 03:52:24 pm »

Personally, I like to believe there is an intrinsic goodness in everyone, no matter how small. When I want to demonstrate this I use the example of Samwise Gamgee as a heroic, albeit rustic, common person. Of course, I don't subscribe to the idea of the Ontological Argument (That if you can imagine perfection, it must exist) and I doubt many do, truly, but it's nice to imagine. Perhaps, us being able to talk of this indicates awareness of the problem, and therefore a possible solution. I try to be a good person, even if it is against the norm of society, as it often seems to be. But hating because of hate simply isn't a sound reason to dislike humanity. To brush a species with the paint made by some of them is frankly insulting to those lights that find themselves painted black.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72684 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:37 pm »

For some reason, people like to generalize most other people they see as negative. And then they become pessimistic. :v
And then they say they're being realistic.
Without looking at what good people can do.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72685 on: April 07, 2014, 04:48:05 pm »

For some reason, people like to generalize most other people they see as negative.
Not really. It's not even confirmation bias, there are more excessively negative actions than excessively benevolent actions taken by people. People might be generally kind but it's generally not extravagant.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72686 on: April 07, 2014, 04:51:54 pm »

Intristic goodness FTW, Dwarfy!

Tiruin, claiming that all other people are bad fits very nicely with the "will to power" theory: not only you feel yourself superior to them, you retroactively excuse all the wrongs you have ever done to these people. The fact that this is circular logic never bothers anyone, it seems.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #72687 on: April 07, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »

For some reason, people like to generalize most other people they see as negative.
Not really. It's not even confirmation bias, there are more excessively negative actions than excessively benevolent actions taken by people. People might be generally kind but it's generally not extravagant.
I think it's this. With a smidge of confirmation bias.

There are more cannibal serial killers out there (and we're certainly more likely to hear about them) than there are people who demonstrably save hundreds of lives.

It's also an equivalency problem -- there are any number of ways to end someone's life horribly, or make it a living hell, and most can be done quickly. There is no way to bring someone back from the dead, or cure all their problems in the blink of an eye.

We need more philanthropic necromancers is what I'm saying.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #72688 on: April 07, 2014, 05:34:12 pm »

That's what we call a vicious cycle - incidentally, a logical fallacy as well. It's similar to how tribesmen who are strangers will meet each other. At first, you are cautious, but this is another human. Your first reaction may be to communicate, to trade, to share. But all you need is for a few such meetings to lead to violence and then everyone must be quite wary in new meetings. Will this encounter result in combat? Should I surprise my enemy and attack without provocation to ensure my survival? More encounters lead to combat, and everyone knows it, so they view the danger of combat as more likely, and thus their initial reactions become less friendly as a defense. Soon the assumption on all sides is that an encounter with a stranger will lead to conflict at least, combat at worst.

To reverse the cycle you need to have people who approach all encounters in a friendly way and do not attack unless attacked. But these people are more likely to be attacked by their non-diplomatic counterparts. So they generally die out before establishing a virtuous cycle with their neighbors. And when members of the diplomatic tribe see their fellows dying, they may become angry and seek revenge, but will at least view the diplomatic approach to an encounter as less successful and more dangerous than the combat approach to an encounter.

One way it might work is if a much stronger tribe interacted with its neighbors. When six or twelve diplomatic men approach two or four hostiles, the hostiles will flee, attack, or parley. If they attack, they will generally lose and their tribe will begin to recognize combat as an ineffective strategy - at least when dealing with these people. Fleeing is a neutral result, with no diplomatic impact. Parleying means the normally-aggressive tribe sees a positive outcome and benefits to not attacking, meaning they may be more likely to consider parleying even when dealing with equals or inferiors - after all, you may have more to gain from someone than whatever they carry and neutralizing the non-threat their existence poses.

However this would be pointless as long as tribes are still shitty to each other, parleying only when encountering the vastly superior tribe. Over time would their interactions slowly become less instantly hostile? Or would they continue to attack on sight, believing that the other weak tribe will also attack them on sight? And would any such vastly superior tribe actually operate that way in reality? Or would it subjugate and slay the smaller tribes in the normal course of responding to their stupid violence with much more powerful violence?

Which is to say, if every caveman not in your family that you meet tries to beat you up, how long before you just assume all cavemen will try to beat you up unless they're part of your family?

There's an additional layer, of reputation. You could argue that reputation can be a noble thing, but that's a pretense. Your reputation in this sense is whether it is known that you can be attacked with impunity. Take a gangster who gets insulted. Will he accept the insult, letting his peers know that they can insult him at will and he will do nothing? In that way he becomes known as weak and loses social standing, inviting attack. This is why thugs are so quick to react with violence to any perceived lack of respect.

In this case, let us say your tribe is not especially strong, but has a very solid diplomatic background. Your tribe will always try to parley and negotiate instead of ambush and pillage. A neighboring tribe occasionally finds itself near your hunting grounds and takes many animals from your traps. One day your hunting party meets their hunting party, and they hurl stones and chase you off. You try to shout and approach to talk it out, to tell them you set those traps and you expected to take those animals. They respond with more stones. They generally choose to fight with you instead of negotiating because (1) they don't care about you because you're not their tribe, (2) you have resources that they want, and (3) they believe you may be aggressive toward them and are wary of tricks.

Let's say you convince them that you will not attack, after suffering many casualties. What does the other tribe think? (1) and (2) are still in full force, but they've reversed (3) and now understand they can do anything to you and you won't fight back. They slay your diminished hunting party, enter your village, slay your remaining men, and seize your women and goods. They gain a reputation in the valley as having decimated another tribe and taken their hunting grounds, meaning more of their enemies will choose to flee rather than fight. They're also much larger and with the greater population and food sources will quickly grow much stronger. So it is that any tribe would have a great incentive to pretend to be friendly and then ambush their rivals. And the other tribes know that diplomacy leads to ruin. All of which make it even less likely that anyone else will attempt diplomacy.

Only when combat and conquering means very little gain and much loss of life and material, will tribes decline the naturally-effective model of warfare in favor of diplomacy, and even then may shift to war if they don't get what they want.

This extends to interpersonal encounters in civilized society. If you see a person who walks out of the bank with a hefty bank envelope, you would stand to gain a lot by robbing him. Looking him over, it's clear he's not armed, and if you are, that's an enormous advantage. Surprise is just as much, if not more, of an advantage. But there is a portion of your tribe set aside to prevent crime and punish criminals, reducing anarchic behavior, and making society more civilized and comfortable. In fact, one could argue that it is only because of that police power that such things as an unarmed citizen, a bank with money, and someone walking to their car without taking precautions against being robbed can exist. In a state of anarchy conditions quickly revert to a violent and dangerous "all against all" in which there is much waste and tragedy.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72689 on: April 07, 2014, 05:52:42 pm »

I like how you make it a simple matter of negativity and use 'tribes' as a reference. >_>
Pages: 1 ... 4844 4845 [4846] 4847 4848 ... 8167