Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4839 4840 [4841] 4842 4843 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9445130 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72600 on: April 05, 2014, 07:09:21 pm »

...how could you use symbolism to make a statue unique? Isn't it more the thoughts associated with a particular thing, like for example the connotations behind a cross? In a parallel universe most cultures, just randomly put together wood. HereTo a specific religion, a sign of martyrdom and holiness.
FTFY.

Oh, for crying out loud, it's in pretty much all cultures. Catholicism has spread nearly everywhere in some form, but besides this it's highly televised. Everyone sees the cross. Vampire movies, etc.
It has connotations. Whether or not you like said connotations, or even if I do, doesn't enter into it. Maybe the first aid cross? That go down better?
Knowing what other people think doesn't mean that you think those things.
Yeah, but just because you don't think something doesn't mean everyone who does is bullshitting you. Symbolism isn't some conspiricy or deception, it's just part of how people ascribe meaning.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72601 on: April 05, 2014, 07:10:50 pm »

Unless you're in highschool or an equivalent, in which case everybody is bullshitting you about symbolism.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #72602 on: April 05, 2014, 07:13:11 pm »

This reminds me of my mom giving me printed webpages about pretty every evil non-Christian symbol ever.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72603 on: April 05, 2014, 07:29:18 pm »

...how could you use symbolism to make a statue unique? Isn't it more the thoughts associated with a particular thing, like for example the connotations behind a cross? In a parallel universe most cultures, just randomly put together wood. HereTo a specific religion, a sign of martyrdom and holiness.
FTFY.
This pretty much says it all. Your symbolic tattoo is art to nobody but yourself and the people it relates to, and don't expect anybody else to get the symbolism.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72604 on: April 05, 2014, 07:59:34 pm »

FTFY.
This pretty much says it all. Your symbolic tattoo is art to nobody but yourself and the people it relates to, and don't expect anybody else to get the symbolism.
Yes, but having symbolism that not everyone gets isn't somehow an affront or an assault on them. It's not an effort to bullshit or subjugate them. I don't get why the idea of symbolism itself suddenly seems so offensive.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #72605 on: April 05, 2014, 08:00:49 pm »

I dunno what ya'll think art actually is if it isn't to symbolize something.

It's not pretty pictures for pretty pictures sake.
Wait, it isn't for most people?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #72606 on: April 05, 2014, 08:14:13 pm »

FTFY.
Yes, but having symbolism that not everyone gets isn't somehow an affront or an assault on them. It's not an effort to bullshit or subjugate them. I don't get why the idea of symbolism itself suddenly seems so offensive.
I don't think it's symbolism, more the symbol I chose to demonstrate my point. Of course, despite being of a different culture from me and, unless they're agnostic, a different religion (or lack thereof) They still understood exactly what I meant. My point was that there are universal symbols. The first that came to mind was the cross. Another is the First Aid Cross. Another the Star of David, and yet another the white flag. Some symbolism relates to everyone (Except, of course, some very remote forest tribes, but they're numerically almost insignifant (At least, I assume so, though I haven't seen a population graph for them)

Really, if you get a tattoo with the cross on it, the star of David or (For whatever reason  :P) the white flag, you may safely assume that everyone you meet will understand at least to some extent the connotations. It's different if it's something like MZ's avatar, as it isn't universal, but some things are.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72607 on: April 05, 2014, 08:45:35 pm »

MZ's avatar is his Tattoo.
I think.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72608 on: April 05, 2014, 08:53:18 pm »

FTFY.
No, no, I'm not offended by it. :P I'm simply explaining why not everybody appreciates tattoos (apart from the, you know, tattoo part). Totally fine with symbolism, not subjugating anyone.

for example, a pretty bird made of rainbows flying out of the eyehole of a skull being held in the mouth of a giant worm with a naked woman on its back, holding a sword. Want to call it art? Go right ahead. Not everyone will think it's pretty, and very few people will understand the symbolism. (or in this case, the reference.) To a lot of people, it'll be the weirdest tattoo they've ever seen. :P
(actually saying this more for the sake of reference than of argument, to be honest.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 08:56:33 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72609 on: April 05, 2014, 08:57:44 pm »

What's wrong with pretty pictures? People like pretty things as a general rule.

And symbolism is something I'm not too fond of, because it's usually bullshit that people make up to try and make a sculpture of a naked person unique and special compared to the millions of others there have been.
He sounds pretty offended, though.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72610 on: April 05, 2014, 09:02:37 pm »

What's wrong with pretty pictures? People like pretty things as a general rule.

And symbolism is something I'm not too fond of, because it's usually bullshit that people make up to try and make a sculpture of a naked person unique and special compared to the millions of others there have been.
He sounds pretty offended, though.
Not offended, I think. Just disgusted at lack of originality, and using symbolism vainly. I think.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72611 on: April 05, 2014, 09:03:07 pm »

Gaaaaah. Having a panic attack over nothing.

Damn massive paranoia that the only reason mildly popular people commenting on a story means utter disaster.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72612 on: April 05, 2014, 09:23:13 pm »

Yawn and the world yawns with you.
Sleep, and you sleep alone.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72613 on: April 05, 2014, 09:25:00 pm »

"Sleep-Those little slices of death. How I loathe them"
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #72614 on: April 05, 2014, 10:24:22 pm »

I saw Thor: The Dark World today. I liked it for the most part, except:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4839 4840 [4841] 4842 4843 ... 8167