Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4820 4821 [4822] 4823 4824 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447323 times)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #72315 on: April 01, 2014, 06:56:51 pm »

In my dacha, we get plenty of snakes and centipedes. Centipedes used to freak me out, but now I think they're cool.
We get house centipedes, which used to bother me until I researched them and figured out they were totally harmless to humans.

*just looked up craneflies* Oh, THAT'S what those are called. I never knew what to call them. They never really bothered me much.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72316 on: April 01, 2014, 07:00:21 pm »

@ Tiruin's sad: I'm no expert on the subject, but I believe it is simple territorial instinct. An outsider to "your" people represents potential competition for food, mates, resources, whathaveyou. Doesn't make much sense in the modern day world but those old primal instincts can be difficult to get rid of.

It can go a bit further than that. That was likely the original reason for it, but there can be racist/sexist/other discriminatory reasons behind it, even if it's as simple as being able to say your group is better than another group.

@ Alleecat's sad: I feel the same way about bees. Even the honeybees who can't do me any harm. Can't go near em, please get rid of them for me D:
I guess bees don't really scare me because I was always taught that if you don't disturb them, they won't hurt you. Plus it helps I'm not allergic.
I've had enough spider bites to know that spiders will not mind their own business, though.

The people that I've met that are allergic to bees seem calmer around them than those who don't. Probably because they know that if you don't bother them, they won't bother you, unless they are an aggressive type, like a wasp or something.

I've been stung a few times. The first time I was stung my school had decided that the best course of action was to call my dad and tell him that I had died of an allergic reaction.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72317 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:04 pm »

In my dacha, we get plenty of snakes and centipedes. Centipedes used to freak me out, but now I think they're cool.
We get house centipedes, which used to bother me until I researched them and figured out they were totally harmless to humans.
My current residence has house centipedes. They're fascinating to watch move; the leg movement is really fluid. The large one that lives in our bathroom is named Jeffreys. It's our first line of defense against unwelcome insects =D
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72318 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:29 pm »

*just looked up craneflies* Oh, THAT'S what those are called. I never knew what to call them. They never really bothered me much.
*vvvvvvvVVVVVVVVVVVVV*[something slams into your face][arms automatically go to face to brush away offending object]*VVVVVVVVvvvvvvvvv*

All night until I kill the thing. Then another one just comes in. I swear they feed on the irritation of human beings.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #72319 on: April 01, 2014, 07:02:57 pm »

I find craneflies mildly annoying, but mostly meh.

Mosquitoes are REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING tier, and I wage unrestricted chemical warfare on them as they do on me.

Bees are relatively OK, but wasps and especially hornets get nuked on sight. Smashed until they stop moving. Annihilated.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72320 on: April 01, 2014, 07:03:05 pm »

I honestly don't get how anyone could not find spiders incredibly disturbing. Those spindly legs and beady eyes and stubby fangs and the way they flip over and curl up when they die...
I once tried to drown a spider I found in the sink and when I drained the water it held on to the edge of the basin and made the most unnatural, demonic shriek I have ever heard a living thing make. Besides goats, of course.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72321 on: April 01, 2014, 07:04:34 pm »

Mosquitoes are REALLY FUCKING ANNOYING tier, and I wage unrestricted chemical warfare on them as they do on me.

Bees are relatively OK, but wasps and especially hornets get nuked on sight. Smashed until they stop moving. Annihilated.
I've never actually had a problem with mosquitoes, they only attack by ambushing me and even then I don't notice until about a week after having been bit.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #72322 on: April 01, 2014, 07:05:06 pm »

Spiders are terrible hairy creatures.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72323 on: April 01, 2014, 07:05:13 pm »

I once tried to drown a spider I found in the sink and when I drained the water it held on to the edge of the basin and made the most unnatural, demonic shriek I have ever heard a living thing make. Besides goats, of course.
I'm not sure that was a spider. They don't make vocalisations.
Maybe it was actually a small mammal?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #72324 on: April 01, 2014, 07:05:29 pm »

Spiders shriek?
.___.

Also what scares me are the spider bites you said, Allee. D:
I lived with spiders (even those giant palm-sized ones..my hand is tiny, but I mean those half-foot ish brown house spider ones) don't bite. Never experienced spider bite here.

Ah mosquitos. My old foe.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72325 on: April 01, 2014, 07:05:32 pm »

My current residence has house centipedes. They're fascinating to watch move; the leg movement is really fluid. The large one that lives in our bathroom is named Jeffreys. It's our first line of defense against unwelcome insects =D
House centipedes are really fast and absolutely amazing. The carnivorous ones are kinda freaky.

As for the bloodsuckers, mosquitoes are annoying, but tolerable. Horse-flies, on the other hand, only target you when you are wet after a run or a dip in the lake, but by god their bites itch. They are very pretty, however.

SWEET MOTHER SO MANY NINJAS
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:10:34 pm by Knit tie »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72326 on: April 01, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »

I honestly don't get how anyone could not find spiders incredibly disturbing. Those spindly legs and beady eyes and stubby fangs and the way they flip over and curl up when they die...
You sure that wasn't you, when you found out the spider was still alive?
* Sirus let's self out
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72327 on: April 01, 2014, 07:12:29 pm »

Hornets (European ones, at least) are actually a lot better than wasps.

Wasps sting you at the slightest provocation. Hornets will warn you first, by bumping into you. They only sting you if you don't take the hint from a hornet bumping into your face.
I have never been stung by anything. And I am not at all cautious around flying insects either. I think the problem lies with the stingee rather than the stinger. Because my all rights I should have been stung many many times if it was actually an inherent trait of wasps to sting everything.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 07:19:16 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72328 on: April 01, 2014, 07:14:57 pm »

Spiders don't shriek, it couldn't have been a spider. And spiders are cute. I'd post a particularly cute pic of one here but common sense tells me that'd be a bad idea.

As to mosquitoes, oddly enough, they don't bother me. They go to EVERYONE ELSE in the nearby area, but leave me alone unless I'm the only living thing left to munch... and even then, most of them leave me alone.

Fruit flies annoy me. Those get in your face when you're walking around outdoors, and it's like they know to get in your eyes. They'll go all kamikaze trying to get in there.

Ninja'd.

I've killed a good number of wasps. At first (was twelve or so), I was terrified of getting stung (was fine as long as I wasn't close to it, but I thought for sure it would target me the moment I started attacking it.) when one got stuck in the house, I shot at it with cleaners until it fell dead, then I whacked it with a belt a number of times, then I crushed it under a shoe. I was wearing "heavy armor" of multiple layers of pants and a heavy coat.  ::) Now I just grab a piece of paper towel and fold it over twice. lol   works about the same. Wasps are dumb when they get stuck inside.

NINJA'D TWICE, COME ON GUYS :P

I've been stung three times, all by wasps. Once was when I was seven, once was when I was... dunno (stepped on it in the garage), and then another time when I was in my teen years - it was on the garbage dumpster outside, and I put my hand on it in the dark.

graknorke - it's not an inherent trait. At least, not the wasps where I've lived. We get mud daubers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_dauber 
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #72329 on: April 01, 2014, 07:15:37 pm »

I was deathly afraid of bees (or rather wasps, but you know, phobia association) when I was younger. It went away by itself as I for older, and nowadays bees, particularly of the bumbly kind, are among my favourite insects. Except for one thing: I still freeze in panic for a few moments every time I hear a bee/wasp-like buzz from an unidentified source. Annoying as hell.

I was going to go to sleep, but then I found a spider near where I sleep and sucked it up with a vacuum and now I'm scared there are more.
Don't be scared of spiders, they are cute and eat annoying flying things. I honestly wish I could encourage more spiders to take up residence in and around my home. Summer is an incredibly uncomfortable time, crane flies are stupid, loud, and hard to make dead. Spiders fix that problem by trapping and eating them.
I don't know what that link is, but I do not open links in spider discussions on principle.

Oh, go on. You know you want to.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 4820 4821 [4822] 4823 4824 ... 8167