Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4482 4483 [4484] 4485 4486 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9426058 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #67245 on: November 04, 2013, 05:08:25 am »

Losing confidence in grades :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67246 on: November 04, 2013, 07:04:23 am »

fuck do i hate getting stuff done

now i'm more than a hundred kilometers away from home and will be here until friday

i don't even know why i deserve this also gd is slow at this hour, hella slow

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67247 on: November 04, 2013, 07:24:36 am »

Aww, sheeet. I had an idea how to improve the production of a certain relatively popular medication by finding a way to mass-produce only a single enantiomere of it, but I just learned it is pointless.

Well, time to go look for something else that might actually work using the same method I had in mind.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67248 on: November 04, 2013, 09:03:32 am »

Looking at average freshman statistics makes me sad. They have an average GPA of 3.8 in most cases. I sure as hell don't have 3.8 :/

@_@ that creepjng feeling of uselessness

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67249 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:49 am »

Mind you, most schools try their best to inflate those statistics. Is that weighted or unweighted?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #67250 on: November 04, 2013, 09:11:34 am »

Mind you, most schools try their best to inflate those statistics. Is that weighted or unweighted?
Unweighted, I think. I saw a 4.1 weighted gpa stat.

My gpa is probably something like 3.0 or under. ._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67251 on: November 04, 2013, 09:16:40 am »

I have a hard time believing that 50% of any school has stats that good. My academic corruption alarm is blaring.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67252 on: November 04, 2013, 12:57:15 pm »

Guys... what even is a gpa? I have never heard of them outside of Bay12 forums. I get sort of what they are I think maybe, but that they are in the USA and a decent amount of other countries too it just seems strange that I've not heard about them ever.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67253 on: November 04, 2013, 01:03:10 pm »

GPA: Grade Point Average.
A is 4, B is 3, C is 2, D is 1, and F is 0. Average your score to get your GPA.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67254 on: November 04, 2013, 01:06:50 pm »

Guys... what even is a gpa? I have never heard of them outside of Bay12 forums. I get sort of what they are I think maybe, but that they are in the USA and a decent amount of other countries too it just seems strange that I've not heard about them ever.

Each letter grade (A B C D F) is assigned a numeric value (4 3 2 1 0), with grades such as A+ or C- given partial point values (in areas that use those grades), and Honors/Advanced Placement classes (again, where available) getting a bonus (This is the only way to get a value above 4). At the end of each semester, the grades for that semester are averaged to generate a single number. This Grade Point Average, or GPA, is intended to give students a feel for their overall academic performance, and also to aid in the delivery of scholarships and college admissions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #67255 on: November 04, 2013, 01:37:45 pm »

Each letter grade (A B C D F) is assigned a numeric value (4 3 2 1 0), with grades such as A+ or C- given partial point values (in areas that use those grades), and Honors/Advanced Placement classes (again, where available) getting a bonus (This is the only way to get a value above 4). At the end of each semester, the grades for that semester are averaged to generate a single number. This Grade Point Average, or GPA, is intended to give students a feel for their overall academic performance, and also to aid in the delivery of scholarships and college admissions.

It goes from 4 to 0? Huh. Interesting, over here it's numeric from 1 to 6. That means what I thought were average GPAs are much much better GPAs.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #67256 on: November 04, 2013, 01:45:37 pm »

But. Doesn't that mean a GPA of 3.0 is really good o.o? Or is an A not comparable to a 10/10? (in which case a B wouldn't be that good...)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #67257 on: November 04, 2013, 01:50:35 pm »

In theory, 3.0 would in fact be quite good (In most districts, a B is either >85% or >80% of the possible grade, while an A is >90% or >95%). The problem is a concept called Grade Inflation. For a wide variety of reasons both economic, social, and fuzzy-logic, a large number of teachers effectively use a A C F (Perfect, Complete, Not Turned In) scale instead, so that a 3.0 means that you did very badly in some courses.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67258 on: November 04, 2013, 02:08:54 pm »

My computer has HDD damage. Not a lot, but I doubt it's fixable. Ugh, now I need a new OS and a new hard drive :(

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67259 on: November 04, 2013, 02:39:35 pm »

How do you have HDD damage?  Normal wear and tear?

I ask because I have a very old computer and I'm always wondering what the warning signs of parts failing might be,
Pages: 1 ... 4482 4483 [4484] 4485 4486 ... 8167