Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4446 4447 [4448] 4449 4450 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471631 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66705 on: October 20, 2013, 06:51:56 pm »

In general, I find it poor policy to try to prevent people feeling happy about something they do... Unless of course what they do is of a significant detriment to someone else.

The whole "you're not really being a nice person, you're just doing it because it makes you feel good" argument kind of seems a bit petty to me.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66706 on: October 20, 2013, 07:13:21 pm »

I think Kant distinguished between purely hedonistic (?) deeds, purely moral deeds, and deeds with motivation from both sides. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66707 on: October 20, 2013, 09:44:56 pm »

I'd say that from a consequences point of view, it's pretty much impossible to find any deed that is purely self serving, or purely selfless in nature. Since any conceivable good act probably has some kind of negative consequences, and any conceivable bad act, has positive consequences. Which is not the same as saying that it's a zero sum game, the total good doesn't have to equal the total ill.

In terms of the intentions well... I suppose the question is can you find someone who does something thinking only of doing something for themselves, or someone who does something only for others...

Personally I despite all my talk of being altruistic without serving myself, I don't tend to think of myself as being a purely moral creature. I mean I try... I try to set my own concerns aside and work for the benefit of others some of the time, because this is something I deeply believe everyone should do.
But at the end of the day... my needs, and the needs of others, are so heavily inter-tangled that I don't think you can truly separate them... the needs of the many are the needs of the few.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66708 on: October 20, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »

Atlas shrugged, you say? Yeah, well, I put my face through my desk. Let's see Atlas do that.

Beautiful. Legit sigged.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #66709 on: October 20, 2013, 10:26:15 pm »

Might as well throw my opinion into the ring. Briefly, of course, I don't have time to engage in Text Wars: The Quotes strike back!

I essentially think the whole debate on whether something that benefits you is still altruism is misguided. All living creatures are distinguished by their desire to fulfill a function, for whatever reason. But of course, if we reduce everything to functions, we realize the limitations of being a evolutionary derived creature, always wanting to benefit oneself and avoid harm. The selfishness argument eventually says there is no way to act without fulfilling a wish or want of yours, which place all emotions on the same level. Since they are not equal, and since we want a discussion of one, it is wise to define the emotion.

So it depends on the definition of altruism. Under the official definitions of the two words that represent altruism; disinterested "not gaining a material advantage" and selfless "putting another's needs above your own". So from this, altruism is working when you do not benefit yourself in a physical or material way, and one where the intent is not to serve oneself but to serve others. Although one serves oneself by serving others, this is not the intent, and is to do good to the other, despite personal material or physical loss or damage; and differentiates a act of compassion from say, amusement.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66710 on: October 20, 2013, 10:28:46 pm »

It's... It's my first ever. Thank you.
It's a sig!
*passes around rainbow cigars*

People do that, right? I've not gone crazy and forgotten American customs again?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #66711 on: October 20, 2013, 10:39:05 pm »

Last I checked, they don't have to be rainbow. :P
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66712 on: October 20, 2013, 10:40:37 pm »

Last I checked, they don't have to be rainbow. :P
It's blue fake cigars for boys, and pink fake cigars for girls, right?

It occurs to me my childhood might have been weird.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66713 on: October 20, 2013, 10:43:53 pm »

* Descan wiggles into the room.

Rainbow for everyone!

* Descan wiggles back out.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66714 on: October 20, 2013, 10:46:55 pm »

*jumps in*
Time for my daily dose of sad!
*reads the last page or so*
Damnit guys. Where's the sad I need to live?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66715 on: October 20, 2013, 10:50:00 pm »

God damn it, my new roommate is insane about temperature like the last one was. First he's hot, so he opens the windows and turns the heat down to 50 degrees. Then he's cold, so he puts his jacket on and tries to keep this ridiculous equilibrium.

I leave for a few days and he turns this place into an icebox.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66716 on: October 20, 2013, 10:59:45 pm »

Your roomie has not learned the subtle art of setting the thermostat to 65F and leaving it alone, apparently.

Well. Setting it to cool to that temp, anyway. Colder than that... AC can  bugger off and stop wasting energy. That's what house coats are for.

... wish I could justify doing that, m'self. AC's set to cool to like 74 or so. Frakkin' energy costs.

Bright side being! Forecast is saying it'll be highs in the low seventies by this next sunday, here. Bloody finally.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66717 on: October 20, 2013, 11:32:27 pm »

*jumps in*

Bay12 cancels Sad: Intense Existential Debate

There was still some sad going around. Did you just happen to miss it or were there not enough tears to power the generators?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66718 on: October 20, 2013, 11:34:24 pm »

Hmm something sad...

How about anyone with real problems seems incapable of seeing eye to eye with someone with more personal problems.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66719 on: October 20, 2013, 11:38:54 pm »

*jumps in*

Bay12 cancels Sad: Intense Existential Debate

There was still some sad going around. Did you just happen to miss it or were there not enough tears to power the generators?
I've barely got enough juice to power independent thought here, come on! I need more sad!
Pages: 1 ... 4446 4447 [4448] 4449 4450 ... 8167