Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4443 4444 [4445] 4446 4447 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472196 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #66660 on: October 20, 2013, 12:24:26 am »

Random anecdote: I was writing a crappy fanfiction ages ago, and decided to look for a book around the house to get some examples of prose. Except bibles, I could not find a single book of fiction.  It was horrible.
Oh yeah. I don't know exactly where the "Bible is the only book you need!" attitude originates from, but it's disturbing. To think there are people like that, who are not just willfully ignorant, but desire to perpetuate that ignorance upon others in the name of their religion, is chilling.

Glad I got out when I did. As time passes, I fear that kind of attitude might become more common amongst Christians in order to maintain the religion's stability.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66661 on: October 20, 2013, 12:27:09 am »

I once won an award for being the best writer in my school in grade 3. I can't remember if it was grade-wide or for the entire school. Probably grade-wide, but knowing how crappy my public school was... Anyways, I don't remember what the story was about, but I remember it involved native Americans, and was probably highly offensive.

E: Found it. Yep, there it is. "Fire-water". Apparently I was a racist little bastard. And I was rewarded for it. What the fuck, school? /E

Now I can barely make a coherent essay.

It's annoying when you are writing and notice your writing style dramatically shift. I was making an essay for my marketing class a few weeks ago when I noticed my style go from a fairly formal documentary style approach to a very informal style, and it bugged the crap out of me. Almost every paragraph had its own style, and I was concerned that it was so bad that it would be confused for plagiarism.

When my mark came back at over 80% and I was told that I had a great writing style I was about to flip shit.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 02:34:38 am by BlackFlyme »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66662 on: October 20, 2013, 12:32:40 am »

Random anecdote: I was writing a crappy fanfiction ages ago, and decided to look for a book around the house to get some examples of prose. Except bibles, I could not find a single book of fiction.  It was horrible.
Oh yeah. I don't know exactly where the "Bible is the only book you need!" attitude originates from, but it's disturbing. To think there are people like that, who are not just willfully ignorant, but desire to perpetuate that ignorance upon others in the name of their religion, is chilling.

Glad I got out when I did. As time passes, I fear that kind of attitude might become more common amongst Christians in order to maintain the religion's stability.
In my family's case, it's simply because no one read books. Like, at all. Eventually I got my father into reading books, though he's usually reading historical fiction with a religious slant. Still a step up from him just playing solitaire over and over again, which was way too depressing to watch every night.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66663 on: October 20, 2013, 01:53:44 am »

Not trying to start an arguement, but I just needed to vent and while I could just click off, I feel I'd feel better if I vented. If any of this looks like I'm being an entitled bitch, I'm sorry, I'm just writing what I feel and I might not be communicating it correctly.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66664 on: October 20, 2013, 02:02:22 am »

Well, because you a) have the internet, and b) are in a shitty learning environment, it unfortunately falls upon you to be a bit of an autodidact.

Also unfortunately, because you were homeschooled in a christian context, universities you might want to go to, may very well say "Yeeeah no that ain't happening," unless you prove you actually know what a high school graduate is expected to know.

So basically, life dealt you a shitty hand by having parents who insist on indoctrination and you gotta bull through it and learn on your own time while trying to forget their bullshit if you don't want to be behind by a tonne in the future.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #66665 on: October 20, 2013, 02:27:31 am »

However, the good news is that if you're fairly bright, you should be able to get what you need from reading. If you can read and absorb much of a decent American and world history survey, math through precalc, some decent literature and a solid foundation in the sciences, you're probably set; any decent library, even one in a small town, will probably have these. And don't neglect Wikipedia, it's really very solid- just about everything you would learn in a high school science or math course, you could learn from Wikipedia (and there are problem sets for practice elsewhere on the Internet, of course). I'm a first-semester college student, and some of the idiocy here astounds me.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66666 on: October 20, 2013, 05:44:07 am »

I'm sorry, but rule #1 of writing is "Read". Read something close to what you want to write. If that doesn't exist, fuck it, read anything. Now take the book you just read, read it it again, and this time watch how they use language.

The rest of your numbers are correct.
I would say that reading is not something specific to wanting to write. Even if you have no intentions on writing you should still make a habit of reading books.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66667 on: October 20, 2013, 06:38:22 am »

There's also the question for why you need to have multiple Bible's. I mean, unless you're a collector, you shouldn't have more than a few. Sure, there are different translations and stuff, but those don't differ that much.

Additionally, Christianity never has been a very stable religion.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66668 on: October 20, 2013, 06:41:42 am »

Still a step up from him just playing solitaire over and over again, which was way too depressing to watch every night.
... I play Solitaire every night. Or afternoon. Or when I have nothing else to do.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66669 on: October 20, 2013, 08:46:45 am »

Woke up with dry air nose bleed... ugh.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66670 on: October 20, 2013, 10:36:35 am »

Woke up with dry air nose bleed... ugh.
I'm happy because I've only have three nosebleeds this school year.  Which is VERY much a record for me, considering that by this point last year I had at least fifteen.   
It's not so bad when you're standing up, but when you are asleep/trying to sleep....
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #66671 on: October 20, 2013, 10:45:31 am »

Still a step up from him just playing solitaire over and over again, which was way too depressing to watch every night.
... I play Solitaire every night. Or afternoon. Or when I have nothing else to do.
*Pats on the back*
So do I... so do I...
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66672 on: October 20, 2013, 11:43:39 am »

Man, I've gone out of my way to exercise, wash myself up, and engage in the brutal war of attrition that is chipping away the hairs on my face in the painstaking process known as shaving, and I just feel like shit and want to lay down and die. Irony in that I was doing those things specifically to pump myself up.

I just don't know what to do with myself. Life just feels so bleak and I'm not sure where to start to get to changing it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:46:57 am by JoshuaFH »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66673 on: October 20, 2013, 12:34:25 pm »

Not trying to start an arguement, but I just needed to vent and while I could just click off, I feel I'd feel better if I vented. If any of this looks like I'm being an entitled bitch, I'm sorry, I'm just writing what I feel and I might not be communicating it correctly.
This is me putting my two cents in, it's not me ranting at you. Venting, I guess.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66674 on: October 20, 2013, 03:08:32 pm »

Now that's out of the way... It bugs me, sometimes, how much people seem to stereotype Christians. I own multiple Bibles; I've also read more books than I can ever remember --many of them written by non-Christians. I go to church every Sunday; I have also gone to other places of worship, to see what they are like. I believe Jesus is the only way to eternal life in Heaven; I also believe it is not my job to "throw the book" at people who do not believe.
It's nothing personal, but the simple fact is that in trying to cope with the dissonance between the modern world and ancient religion, some sects go the way of denial and isolation. And that they wish to impress those same things upon their children is obvious. People are very willing to seek out truth. Not indoctrinating them means them changing. Not necessarily into atheists, though that does happen, but not maintaining the exact beliefs of the sect.

And for a lot of those groups, there is little to no ecumenicism, and even other Christian sects are no more saved than atheists.

Their fears may be genuine to them, but it hurts society, and that can't be ignored.
I have known many people who believe science and religion cannot coexist --most of them have been atheists.

The average Christian, Muslim, or Jew is just as rational and intelligent as the average nonbeliever. We differ on philosophy, not on IQ points.
Yeah, I don't think they can coexist myself. Not in a stable fashion. One needs only to look how much both individual denominations have changed and how many have spawned since the Renaissance for proof.

It's not about intellect. It's about cognitive dissonance and how one deals with it. With the increasing availability of knowledge, not seeing the cracks in the walls is getting exponentially more difficult. And once the cracks have been seen, something has to be done about it. You can't just live with the contradiction. Sometimes the reaction is doctrinal reformation, sometimes it is hunkering down and opposing secular knowledge. And sometimes, the gap cannot be crossed, and the result is leaving the religion entirely.

What we know about the Universe greatly contradicts most religions, as well as making them seem very small. An incomprehensibly large universe, and the absolute truth of reality just so happens to be here on Earth? And about humanity? We're nobodies in nowhere, and at least for me, that was what ended it. Besides all the scientific knowledge, and the contradictions of the Bible, and the cruel treatment I received from other believers, it was scale that what solidified my departure from Christianity.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:10:36 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4443 4444 [4445] 4446 4447 ... 8167