Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4268 4269 [4270] 4271 4272 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9438075 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #64035 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28:58 am »

Since it's come up, I've been wanting to ask: Do any of you actually sleep well on a regular basis (no nightmares, feel rested upon waking)? Can you get to sleep in under one hour? And how often, if at all, do you wake up with splitting headaches?

Because in my experience, a good night is just a minor nightmare and no headache. I know that feeling good when you wake up is a real thing, because it's happened to me, but it's a rare occurrence.

It rarely takes me longer than 10 minutes to get to sleep.  I've only had a few nightmares in my life, and rarely wake up with more than a vague residual impression of having had any dreams at all.  I sleep very, very deeply.  It's difficult to wake me up.  I hate sleep, because it's like not existing for several hours.  It's like I close my eyes and open them and there's nothing in between.  I'm also chronically sleep-deprived and rarely wake up feeling rested.  I need an hour in the morning before I feel like I'm alive.  I've had exactly one opportunity in the last 6 years to sleep as long as I wanted, until waking up completely on my own, and I slept 17 hours straight.  I also don't get headaches in general.  Only had a few of those in my life, and most of them were dull aches rather than anything horrible.

My sleeping problems are all about schedule.  I have never been good at keeping a consistent schedule.  Twenty four hours just never seemed to me like a long enough day.  When I've been able to naturally fall into a schedule that was comfortable for me, it tends to be something where I'm awake for 24 hours and sleep for 12.  I don't like to go to sleep until I'm exhausted, and often fail to force myself to do so.  This makes sleep a really difficult thing for me as a person with a family and full-time job, which is why I'm chronically sleep-deprived.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:31:39 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64036 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28:58 am »

I don't really understand the morning/evening person divide.  I'm an anytime sort of person.  It always takes me a little bit to feel like working, and then I'm good until I need to crash.  Not that hard.  Like, I can be obnoxiously energetic at pretty much any hour of the day.

A Morning person is generally speaking a person who wakes up full of energy and tends to use it all and starts to slow down in the afternoon.

Generally speaking there is no 50/50 divide it all just depends on the person. Some people are just not noon people.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64037 on: July 21, 2013, 12:31:39 am »

That makes sense.  I tend to be really, really wired and happy during colder seasons, and then I'm luggier if it's hot or even warm.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64038 on: July 21, 2013, 12:47:50 am »

I prefer winter over summer... but then again I am slightly bug phobic.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64039 on: July 21, 2013, 12:56:30 am »

The slightly creeping horror of realising the new Animal Crossing can act as a metaphor for those who have failed to become the superman. The existential horror faced by one that kills gods but doesn't seek to replace them with itself. Unable to grasp a rhyme or reason to exist that is not handed to them, with no narrative or purpose and no desire to craft one for themselves they can only derive meaning through latching onto any possible challenged placed before them, no matter the banality.

They take on debt, a sufficient torture such that work may seem attractive. Through simple work, simple purpose. But when the debt is cleared, and the fish collected, then the abyss is once again gazing. So, in terror, they seek more debt, more things to collect, more purpose.

Until none are left. The house is as large as it can become, the museum is full with the bones of the past, and the player is left with only the choices of abandoning the game, effectively choosing to die, or resigning themselves to repetition without purpose or meaning, nothing but a slower death.

...I love these games, and how cute they are whilst still having creepy undertones.

As for sleep, I sleep terribly. Often I just stay awake til I eventually crash at around 5AM, then sleep well into the afternoon.
Other times I'll wake up at a decent hour and then nap half the day. If I try and get plenty of sleep to have energy the next day, I can't-- I'll just lie there awake for hours.

Now, when I moved out for a while, I slept quite well and had plenty of energy, due to having a routine of going to sleep early, since I didn't have any videogames to pull all-nighters on. Now I'm back to my old habits :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64040 on: July 21, 2013, 12:57:00 am »

LOL, I'm also a tiny person who wears enormous clothes.  I apparently have a terrible case of penis envy, which can only be remedied through long skirts and tight waistcoats.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64041 on: July 21, 2013, 12:58:16 am »

...I love these games, and how cute they are whilst still having creepy undertones

Nintendo seems to be the masters at that.

Earthbound / Mother, Kirby, and Pokémon were all bright cheery games with deeply dark and disturbing undertones.

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64042 on: July 21, 2013, 01:14:42 am »

Since it's come up, I've been wanting to ask: Do any of you actually sleep well on a regular basis (no nightmares, feel rested upon waking)? Can you get to sleep in under one hour? And how often, if at all, do you wake up with splitting headaches?

Because in my experience, a good night is just a minor nightmare and no headache. I know that feeling good when you wake up is a real thing, because it's happened to me, but it's a rare occurrence.
I have PTSD so nightmares are commonplace, as are late nights without sleep. As a result my sleep pattern is irregular at best and non-existent at worst. Any day where I don't have a flashback of some kind or end up going into a state of hyperarousal is usually a day where I can maybe sleep at night. It doesn't help that Invega - the antipsychotic I've been on for the past six years - has insomnia as one of it's side effects, but the bright side is more time awake means more time playing video games.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64043 on: July 21, 2013, 03:06:08 am »

I very rarely have nightmares. When I do its about being chased by things, and is rather distressing, but not wake up and start screaming scary. I never have any headaches at all before or after sleeping.

As for sleeping, it usually takes me quite a long time to fall asleep (not sure how long on average, but probably longer then a hour), but once I do I stay asleep till the morning. I don't usually wake rested (assuming I was gotten up cause I had something to do instead of just sleeping in all day), but thats probably my fault for staying up till late in the night on the computer in the first place.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64044 on: July 21, 2013, 03:35:05 am »

I generally get to sleep pretty quickly (maybe 20 minutes), but I've been all fevery and sore from whatever bug I've got right now, which has made sleep a bit of a challenge (BTW, hi 4 AM). I can't really sleep unless I'm physically tired, which sometimes leads to staying up late working, reading, watching a show, etc. Napping is next to impossible for me, and I can't sleep once I get up in the morning.  It's harder if I haven't had a very physically active day.

I haven't had a legit nightmare in a long time, but I do have anxiety dreams. They're generally cinematic, and tell a story of sorts. When they're not good dreams, they tend to be about me not being able to protect/help people, or being injured/killed, but fear doesn't feature strongly in them. Big change from the massively terrifying mindfuck dreams I had as a young'un.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 03:36:45 am by Solifuge »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64045 on: July 21, 2013, 03:40:42 am »

Not I. Wake up more often than not from bad dreams. As far as getting to sleep in under one hour, it would require a fair amount of alcohol, but technically possible.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #64046 on: July 21, 2013, 04:06:10 am »

I almost never have any dreams and I only have nightmares on a somewhat more frequent basis. God damn, nightmares don't happen often for me but when they do they're terrifying. What makes it even worse is that sometimes it feels like I'm in semi-aware state where I realize that I'm having a nightmare, but can't open my eyes without some effort.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #64047 on: July 21, 2013, 05:03:39 am »

It tends to take a while before I sleep, but when I wake up I always feel good. Well, I still want to stay in bed for another day or two, but once I get up I feel fine :P

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64048 on: July 21, 2013, 05:44:34 am »

Oh, yeah, when I sleep I usually have exciting, incredibly varied dreams. I don't often remember them these days, but when I do they're generally pretty awesome. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #64049 on: July 21, 2013, 06:01:07 am »

Last night i was sleeping so hard my armpits hurt.
Im generally heavy sleeper , i have problems with geting out of the bed and problems falling asleep.

I kind of like nightmares because if one is terrifying enough it can wake me up at 8AM and the adrenaline dose makes me ready to get up immediately.
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?
Pages: 1 ... 4268 4269 [4270] 4271 4272 ... 8167