Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4247 4248 [4249] 4250 4251 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424249 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #63720 on: July 16, 2013, 10:08:09 pm »

Something's missing.
Really? What do you suppose that is?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63721 on: July 16, 2013, 10:49:30 pm »

<snip>
Lamenting the orchestrations of our whimsical universe again Soli?

Sort of... and I'd lean more toward caprice than whimsy. And less lamenting, so much as just a dull realization that everything, from the entire cosmos to an individual human to an atom, are just flecks of entropy, shuffling stuff around from one point to another. There is no point to being, but to be... though perhaps, as a sentient thing, I can decide to take on the duty to make my every action/reaction the most good/least bad thing I can make it, for the sake of the Big Picture. Sort of wish that creed held true for others too, though.

Then, there's also the stuff mentioned here.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63722 on: July 16, 2013, 11:12:51 pm »

Something's missing.

Sleep.  My professors who were serving as father figures.  A job to turn to after this one runs out.  Interesting work.  Friends in meatspace.  A sense of wholeness.  A sense of order.  Beauty.  Emotional intimacy.  Privacy.

Maybe it's a lot of things.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63723 on: July 16, 2013, 11:16:25 pm »

Of those listed, sleep might be the easiest to amend. Might. As a serial insomniac I know just how painful lack of sleep gets, and I still think it is going to be the lowest hanging fruit here.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63724 on: July 16, 2013, 11:29:01 pm »

Something's missing.

Sleep.  My professors who were serving as father figures.  A job to turn to after this one runs out.  Interesting work.  Friends in meatspace.  A sense of wholeness.  A sense of order.  Beauty.  Emotional intimacy.  Privacy.

Oh, I thought you meant there was something missing from my statement. Yes, the world could definitely always do with more of those things. *hugs*

Of those listed, sleep might be the easiest to amend. Might. As a serial insomniac I know just how painful lack of sleep gets, and I still think it is going to be the lowest hanging fruit here.
Sometimes this is easier said than done though...

<snip>
Lamenting the orchestrations of our whimsical universe again Soli?

Sort of... and I'd lean more toward caprice than whimsy. And less lamenting, so much as just a dull realization that everything, from the entire cosmos to an individual human to an atom, are just flecks of entropy, shuffling stuff around from one point to another. There is no point to being, but to be... though perhaps, as a sentient thing, I can decide to take on the duty to make my every action/reaction the most good/least bad thing I can make it, for the sake of the Big Picture. Sort of wish that creed held true for others too, though.

Then, there's also the stuff mentioned here.
*hugs*
Passive aggressive people are just the worst.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63725 on: July 16, 2013, 11:30:56 pm »

Something's missing.

I'm sorry to hear that, and can sympathize. You'll find them eventually, but you'll probably need to set aside some time to figure out how to find those things, and work toward them.

You're probably doing this already, but spend a bit of time looking for work every day, in various places; post-grad career networks, classified ads, help wanted signs around town... even look for organizations or interesting-sounding businesses first, and ask them if they're hiring, even if they haven't posted ads.

Finding something interesting, even if it's not stellar pay, can begets friends, professional connections, meatspace relationships, and even some of that sense of fulfillment... and that can be priceless. Working at a Bird Rescue for minimum wage introduced me to hundreds of wonderful things and people, and changed the course of my life. I'd be a less-whole person today had I passed it up.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63726 on: July 16, 2013, 11:39:48 pm »

Yeah, I know... it's just hard to get anything done with so little sleep, and I have to spend a lot of time preparing for class because I want fabulous letters of recommendation, plus I'm working to keep my relationship with my co-translator secure, and... ugh.  Dammit, I'm just so tired.

I have to write a will, too.  Fuck.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63727 on: July 16, 2013, 11:41:27 pm »

Your own will?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63728 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:04 pm »

Camomile Tea could help. Used to help me, for a time, then it just sort of lost all effect. Unless the problem is lack of time to be able to sleep in, rather than problems actually sleeping.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63729 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:30 pm »

Indeed.  I'm a responsible adult.  I have a little money and some possessions, and it's my obligation to write a will.

Unless the problem is lack of time to be able to sleep in

*finger on nose*

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63730 on: July 16, 2013, 11:42:54 pm »

Vector, I think you might be taking things a bit too far.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63731 on: July 16, 2013, 11:45:39 pm »

I'm pretty sure unless you very specifically want some of your possessions to go somewhere specific like a charity, or you have multiple children and want to make sure the responsible one gets the family heirloom, the de facto 'next of kin' works well for most of us. I have a organ donor card and that is about it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #63732 on: July 16, 2013, 11:46:43 pm »

Welp, big final today, hardly slept because of how hot it was and how nervous I am, oh well, not like I'll have to continue studying the thing I'm slowly starting to hate for the rest of the summer if I fail (I'll totally have to study for the rest of the summer).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63733 on: July 16, 2013, 11:48:16 pm »

Then get the hell off of Bay 12 and study now.
No Gods, No Masters.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63734 on: July 16, 2013, 11:48:35 pm »

I don't think that it is that crazy to write a will. I plan to, once I have a job and actual belongings. I mean, everyone has a chance of getting hit by a bus or something every day. If you want to be sad today, have a look at the chance you will die by the end of the year. It can't be a bad thing to ensure your belongings go where you want them to. (Unless you are fine with the default, as Max says).
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 4247 4248 [4249] 4250 4251 ... 8167