Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4193 4194 [4195] 4196 4197 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429412 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62910 on: June 15, 2013, 01:20:47 am »

Are you guys me? This is almost exactly what I've been thinking about. The whole stupid "go to college to get a job to get a family etc" routine that seems so hopelessly monotonous and/or overwhelming and/or futile.

I would be ok with it, if there were more flexibility involved.  It's the way you're so firmly rooted in place once you get so far into the process that bothers me.  If it were easier to go for periods without income for the sake of fixing problems in one's life or altering course when necessary, everything would be great.  The way things are now, you pretty much have to know what you want to do with your life before developing family obligations or becoming dependent on a full-time job.  Once you have those things, it's a brutal mountain climb to try and change anything, because you just aren't allowed the time or energy.  And some people need change.  It seems like most people are unhappy with daily drudgery, but can ultimately shrug it off and content themselves with living for a little bit of freedom on the weekends.  I'm one of the few who can't do it.  It is going to literally kill me if I don't find a way out.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #62911 on: June 15, 2013, 02:05:00 am »

Are you guys me? This is almost exactly what I've been thinking about. The whole stupid "go to college to get a job to get a family etc" routine that seems so hopelessly monotonous and/or overwhelming and/or futile.
I would be ok with it, if there were more flexibility involved.  It's the way you're so firmly rooted in place once you get so far into the process that bothers me.  If it were easier to go for periods without income for the sake of fixing problems in one's life or altering course when necessary, everything would be great.  The way things are now, you pretty much have to know what you want to do with your life before developing family obligations or becoming dependent on a full-time job.  Once you have those things, it's a brutal mountain climb to try and change anything, because you just aren't allowed the time or energy.  And some people need change.  It seems like most people are unhappy with daily drudgery, but can ultimately shrug it off and content themselves with living for a little bit of freedom on the weekends.  I'm one of the few who can't do it.  It is going to literally kill me if I don't find a way out.
Expanding on that, look at every step along the way you take. Think long and hard about what you gain and what you lose before going down a path; and preferably long before it comes up to avoid emotion-clouded split-second decisions. Children? Consider the costs. Not just monetary ($250k+/child), but also psychologically(on average, those with children are less happy) and opportunity costs (higher income requirement & necessity of stability will greatly limit opportunities). Then weigh those against similarly holistic benefit analysis. Spouse? Same comparison. Job opportunity? Same thing. Be sure your analysis is honest, both to your own desires and to data and statistics out there, then go from there. No point in riding the bandwagon all the way to its final stop. Where you hop off is up to you; just be sure all your decisions, whether defaulting to behavior of the crowd or forging your own way, are those whose consequences you can live with.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #62912 on: June 15, 2013, 01:01:04 pm »

O god, I just.... I'm not taking any divorce cases right now. They're just massive pains in the ass, and they're just not worth it, because nobody ever ends up happy and it's just lose-lose for me. Plus, we're dealing with fairly well off people with first world problems here, so I can just picture the whining....

Somebody I know calls and just.... That stuff appears to be happening with her and I know both her and husband (they don't know the real me but still...). I do not want this case.... It'd just be weird and I don't .... Ugh.

So I try to tell her I don't wanna get involved, because I know them both, a la Christmas parties, etc. I give her a referral to the bar association and like, maybe a lawyer or two when that doesn't placate her. It just.... She won't leave me alone.... I don't even.... Lady, nopes. Nope, nope, nope.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62913 on: June 15, 2013, 01:02:42 pm »

Tell her that you would not be allowed to represent her due to a conflict of interests.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62914 on: June 15, 2013, 01:05:06 pm »

Eh, I thought about that, but I'm not sure if it's technically true. Idiot that I am, I try not to lie to people. [shrugs]

I could use that one though I suppose.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #62915 on: June 15, 2013, 01:52:58 pm »

Now I can imagine a little Truean chopping down a cherry tree and getting caught :P  And admitting to it 'cause she doesn't want to tell a lie :)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62916 on: June 15, 2013, 01:58:29 pm »

Funnily enough, lawyers are technically meant to be honest at all times, since they are servants of the law. Truean is actually how a lawyer is meant to operate.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62917 on: June 15, 2013, 02:12:59 pm »

Now I can imagine a little Truean chopping down a cherry tree and getting caught :P  And admitting to it 'cause she doesn't want to tell a lie :)
TBH I can't imagine Truean chopping down a cherry tree.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #62918 on: June 15, 2013, 02:51:42 pm »

I can. Just needs to make sure her dress doesn't get dirty.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #62919 on: June 16, 2013, 07:54:12 am »

Weekend is too short.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62920 on: June 16, 2013, 10:31:42 am »

I can. Just needs to make sure her dress doesn't get dirty.

Easiest way to do that would be to wear something besides a dress, but ... ok. :) Of course, I have to wonder if I understand the transaction that's taking place here. The answer is most likely not. Chopping down a cherry tree seems to be a pretty straightforward way to say you don't like cherries, and even more befuddling, that you don't like basically free cherries in this instance.

More important would be, who let the kid in question have an ax? Axes are not exactly the most fashionable accessory outside of certain intercity schools where the "zero tolerance for firearms" policy has been taken too literally and the bloodthirsty meter has reached vampire proportion. Not what twilight pretends unconvincingly are vampires, but actual vampires, the kind with blood and not glitter (hence the bloodthirsty reference).

After that I've got to wonder what the cherry tree in question ever did to deserve such a thing. Are we in a world where the trees themselves have turned against us? Knowing my luck, yes, but still....

This is the kind of nonsense my mind has to engage in to remain even questionably sane. :D

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62921 on: June 16, 2013, 10:46:21 am »

Going through another idiot phase. Everyone shoots down everything I want to do, no one seems to like anything about me, and I can't seem to do anything right. *sigh* I'm really getting sick of trying to please other people.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62922 on: June 16, 2013, 10:47:02 am »

Easiest way to do that would be to wear something besides a dress, but ... ok. :) Of course, I have to wonder if I understand the transaction that's taking place here. The answer is most likely not. Chopping down a cherry tree seems to be a pretty straightforward way to say you don't like cherries, and even more befuddling, that you don't like basically free cherries in this instance.

More important would be, who let the kid in question have an ax? Axes are not exactly the most fashionable accessory outside of certain intercity schools where the "zero tolerance for firearms" policy has been taken too literally and the bloodthirsty meter has reached vampire proportion. Not what twilight pretends unconvincingly are vampires, but actual vampires, the kind with blood and not glitter (hence the bloodthirsty reference).

After that I've got to wonder what the cherry tree in question ever did to deserve such a thing. Are we in a world where the trees themselves have turned against us? Knowing my luck, yes, but still....
I'm going to combine everything in your post and say that the cherry tree was a vampire.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62923 on: June 16, 2013, 10:55:41 am »

I'm going to combine everything in your post and say that the cherry tree was a vampire.

And here I was thinking this.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62924 on: June 16, 2013, 11:47:54 am »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 4193 4194 [4195] 4196 4197 ... 8167