Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4172 4173 [4174] 4175 4176 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9433082 times)

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #62595 on: June 08, 2013, 09:45:48 pm »

Tv (not only in the US) is pretty terrible at depicting subcultures, foreigners or anything for that matter. I'm always happy if the germans=nazi jokes on US-tv are at least funny or if they come up with stuff I hadn't heard yet (30 Rock had some really good ones). That show "Happy Endings" had a gay dude who wasn't overtly effeminate (by tv-standards) and seemed a bit more than a "I'm gay"-caricature. Got cancelled though.
If we can talk about movies for a second, IIRC Kiss Kiss Bang Bang had a gay character that wasn't a stereotype as well. I remember being kind of amazed at the fact that they had a gay character who was out and not outwardly gay.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:47:28 pm by AlleeCat »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62596 on: June 08, 2013, 09:59:43 pm »

I'm thinking specifically about The Big Bang Theory, which gets more popular the more misogynistic, homophobic, and racist it becomes.
I may be watching way too much US-tv for my own good, but I can tell you all Chuck Lorre shows are like that, mostly worse. Try watching 2 and 1/2 Men and Big Bang Theory will look way better.

If we can talk about movies for a second, IIRC Kiss Kiss Bang Bang had a gay character that wasn't a stereotype as well. I remember being kind of amazed at the fact that they had a gay character who was out and not outwardly gay.
I don't know that movie. I've seen some films that had relatively normal gay characters, but if it's not played for laughs, it's about their problems. Gay characters as pretty normal dudes that happen to be gay seem rare.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62597 on: June 08, 2013, 10:15:50 pm »

Oh crap, I didn't even know he'd written that show, too.  Kind of explains a lot.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62598 on: June 08, 2013, 10:18:11 pm »

I don't know that movie. I've seen some films that had relatively normal gay characters, but if it's not played for laughs, it's about their problems. Gay characters as pretty normal dudes that happen to be gay seem rare.
Well this character is actually just that. A normal character that just happens to be gay. They make some jokes about it but he rolls with them and the movie is otherwise pretty respectful. You should see it, it's Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer, and this was before RDJ was all that famous, too.
Also, since everything is a circle, Michelle Monaghan was in it, and also in L&O:SVU.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62599 on: June 08, 2013, 10:33:08 pm »

Oh crap, I didn't even know he'd written that show, too.  Kind of explains a lot.
I think he writes all CBS comedies. I prefer the NBC stuff, like 30 Rock, Community or Parks and Recreation, which I think is the funniest show on TV right now.

Well this character is actually just that. A normal character that just happens to be gay. They make some jokes about it but he rolls with them and the movie is otherwise pretty respectful. You should see it, it's Robert Downey Jr. and Val Kilmer, and this was before RDJ was all that famous, too.
Also, since everything is a circle, Michelle Monaghan was in it, and also in L&O:SVU.
Gonna check it out, haven't seen a decent comedy movie in a while now.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #62600 on: June 08, 2013, 11:06:14 pm »

I once saw a squirrel run across the road and into a car. It bounced about two feet off, and ran back.

This one time there was a squirrel who was basically ambling slowly and casually across the road. We had to come to a complete stop to wait for it to cross, when with most squirrels you could just slow down enough so they can run across.

Nope. This squirrel would take two steps, stop smell something, take two steps, stop, flick his tail, and repeat. It's like it had no idea what a road was.

Then there was the time a dove flew out into the middle of the lane and landed and just sat there staring at nothing for about ten seconds. It did this while there were cars approaching it. Again, we had to come to stop, with several other cars behind us, all because a bird decided to play chicken on the road. There wasn't even any reason for it to fly out into the road in the first place. It simply flew out randomly onto the road from a nearby tree and stood there.

Wildlife can be so awesome...but then it can be pretty stupid.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #62601 on: June 09, 2013, 02:15:53 am »

... maybe they were infested with one of those suicide brain worm things? Do they have those for stuff bigger than ants?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #62602 on: June 09, 2013, 02:48:46 am »

I know toxoplasmosis gondii does something similar to mice (and can infect humans).

Incidentally, don't click through that link if you don't like reading about diseases. It's not an especially bad one, but even the most benign ones occasionally go to crazyland and have terrible symptoms listed.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #62603 on: June 09, 2013, 02:54:33 am »

I'm thinking specifically about The Big Bang Theory, which gets more popular the more misogynistic, homophobic, and racist it becomes.
If it actually pulled off misogynistic, homophobic, and racist humor well (Or even at all, since from what I remember it was never particularly racy.) I'd actually watch it. But really, it's only terrible in the sense that it has horrible writing and panders to the lowest common denominator. When I think of TBBT, I don't think "Egad! That's a horribly misogynistic and offensive show!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #62604 on: June 09, 2013, 03:04:24 am »

I know toxoplasmosis gondii does something similar to mice (and can infect humans).

Incidentally, don't click through that link if you don't like reading about diseases. It's not an especially bad one, but even the most benign ones occasionally go to crazyland and have terrible symptoms listed.
Naturally, it's associated with cats.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62605 on: June 09, 2013, 11:02:01 am »

Iain Banks dies of cancer. I knew this was coming since he declared it a few months back, but even so its kinda sad that I now own everything he will ever write, and there will be no more great works from him. :(
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62606 on: June 09, 2013, 11:19:27 am »

If it actually pulled off misogynistic, homophobic, and racist humor well (Or even at all, since from what I remember it was never particularly racy.) I'd actually watch it. But really, it's only terrible in the sense that it has horrible writing and panders to the lowest common denominator. When I think of TBBT, I don't think "Egad! That's a horribly misogynistic and offensive show!

Uh, okay.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62607 on: June 09, 2013, 11:43:59 am »

AGGGGHHHH MY HOME SERVER CROAK, THAT THING WAS ONLY THREE MONTHS OLD T_T

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62608 on: June 09, 2013, 12:27:08 pm »

I think he writes all CBS comedies. I prefer the NBC stuff, like 30 Rock, Community or Parks and Recreation, which I think is the funniest show on TV right now.
That's because Parks and Rec IS the funniest show on TV at the moment. Excepting its first season, which wasn't really the best first season.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62609 on: June 09, 2013, 12:32:58 pm »

That's because Parks and Rec IS the funniest show on TV at the moment. Excepting its first season, which wasn't really the best first season.
Yeah, season 1 is not that great, but it's only a few episodes. Seasons 2-3 are the most consistently funny stretch of episodes I can spontanously think of.
Pages: 1 ... 4172 4173 [4174] 4175 4176 ... 8167