Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4062 4063 [4064] 4065 4066 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9426348 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60945 on: April 28, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »

Only about a thousand pages according to wikipedia (though obviously page size would adjust page count)
Memory, you treacherous dog!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60946 on: April 28, 2013, 08:34:07 pm »

Dream of the Red Chamber is in 5 volumes at 500+600+600+400+400=2500 pages and roughly six inches long.  It's not 350 pages, trust me.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 08:38:53 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #60947 on: April 28, 2013, 08:35:01 pm »

The Plum in the Golden Vase
* MetalSlimeHunt snickers immaturely.
Actually, this is sort of good for me.  Bracing work that makes me think "ah, I'll never complain about novel length again.
Try reading the uncut version of The Stand. Then you'll never complain about novel length again for sure. Reading it during lunch, every study hall, and before the start of classes it still took me the better part of a year to finish. Around 3000 pages, as I remember it.
Only about a thousand pages according to wikipedia (though obviously page size would adjust page count)... about 500k words, going by some cursory searching. RotK is ~800k (or slightly more than 50% larger than The Stand, uncut). Couldn't find one quicklike for Dream of the Red Chamber (though it's only coming out at about 350 pages, paperback. I'd guess around 2-300k words.).

... I've read fanfiction that was over a million words for a single work <_< >_>
I'm currently reading that Star Trek/Star Wars crossover that could count for over a million.
Maybe.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60948 on: April 28, 2013, 08:35:21 pm »

The Stand was probably the single longest book I've ever read, and the one I have (un-cut) is somewhere around 1,200 pages. Hardcover too, which would probably make it an excellent improvised weapon :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60949 on: April 28, 2013, 08:39:39 pm »

The Stand was probably the single longest book I've ever read, and the one I have (un-cut) is somewhere around 1,200 pages. Hardcover too, which would probably make it an excellent improvised weapon :P
Fitting that thing and a history textbook in my backpack was probably the greatest trial I faced in high school. That and trying not to hurt the dozens of "What are you reading?"'s.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #60950 on: April 28, 2013, 08:42:09 pm »

I'm not really sure if it's a sad thing or not that there exists fanfiction lengthier than Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

I mean... at least one of them is pretty darn decent, and a couple others fairly solid, of the ones I've tried to read. Go go mighty unpublishables... I guess.

... though, thinking on it, Romance of the Three Kingdoms basically is fanfiction. Just really old fanfiction. It's something! And with those words, Frumple makes an eternal enemy of Chinese literary historians the world over.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60951 on: April 28, 2013, 08:42:15 pm »

Page count is a crappy way to determine the length of a book. Word count is better.

Of course the words themselves will determine a lot about how quickly you get through the book.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is a bit under 200k words. But it's taken me a fraction of the time to read through The Three Musketeers, which is about the same length.

How esoteric the language seems, and how the paragraphs and such are placed will make a big impact on how easily it flows off the page and into your head.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #60952 on: April 28, 2013, 08:44:09 pm »

I tried reading DotRC at one point. Got about...200 pages in before I quit, or some such? At least I got to that trippy dream scene what's-his-face has.

Chinese novel style is kinda weird, not gonna lie. It's not quite as high-falutin'-feeling as, say, Dickens, but it's long, and the random poetry is kinda confusing.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms, by contrast, is long, but filled with lots and lots of short little sections that don't drag on. Much easier.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60953 on: April 29, 2013, 02:41:40 am »

1# is so true. *facepalm*

They're too busy keeping watch of their wallets and siphoning the national budget, they're almost treating the country like a business., instead of answering actual government-related problems such as that one that involved my mom. And it's true that local traffic officers pull over motorists for unclear fines.

And speaking of non-government related corruption, most services demand a little extra on the house from tourists and foreigners. To make it even worse, most of it has become a necessity (well, for the people on the low-middle class), because everything is so damned expensive with all those useless Value-added Taxes (VAT) and coupled with low-paying jobs.

And the government does nothing about it, because they're too concerned about their pretty L'Oreal-coated faces to give a shit.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60954 on: April 29, 2013, 02:49:06 am »

By Korea do they mean North or South?
They are two separate countries on the same peninsula.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #60955 on: April 29, 2013, 02:59:25 am »

By Korea do they mean North or South?
They are two separate countries on the same peninsula.
Going by the description it's South.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60956 on: April 29, 2013, 03:02:55 am »

I was thinking the description didn't seem very fitting to North, but then North doesn't make an appearance. ???
Could NK actually be a font of purity, free from corruption under the Great Leaders rule?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60957 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:28 am »

I wish someone I know IRL would bother to compliment my looks at some point.  I don't know.  I was baby-sitting a drunk friend for the past three hours (suddenly dropped everything to do it, blah blah blah) and his version of being less inhibited involved a lot of ~talking up his girlfriend's looks~ and I just don't even know anymore.

Like, is it a thing to keep your hair short because you don't look like yourself when your hair is long?  I want to be something folks will call something other than "attractive."  That's very cold and scientific.  But I'm not all that attractive, just more comfortable with myself.  When I had longer hair, more men were interested.  Now that I have shorter hair, people are being much, much nicer.

An ex told me once: "This is the first time you've worn something even approaching cute."  We'd been dating for a few months, I guess.  I don't know.  That was the first and only time he said I was cute or anything of the like in the two-year relationship.  You know, anyway.  He did tell me I was handsome later, once.

The other fellow said I was beautiful exactly three times.  I persistently addressed him as "handsome fellow."  I don't know.  I don't think I'm someone you could even call pretty anymore.

I realize I'm just kind of here whining but I'm tired of working and I want to go home.  I only have one friend left back home, but I'd like to be there all the same.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60958 on: April 29, 2013, 03:35:49 am »

Now that I have shorter hair, people are being much, much nicer.
If it is the same kind of 'nice' that I am thinking of, you have my deepest pity.
I hate people being 'nice', in that false smiles, cheery tone, 'Max can have the first go!' kind of way. The kind of nice that stems from fear of causing the slightest hint of offence, and sacrifices anything close to honestly. Drives me insane.

Anyway, I know I am just text on the internet with a Lizard as a unique identifier, but I've seen the photo thread and I still like the short hair. As much as anybody is allowed on the internet without it being in that creepy stalker way.  :P

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60959 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:36 am »

The amount of Hacker/Scriptkiddies that are polluting our games, F2P or otherwise. And the lack of response game devs/admins...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 4062 4063 [4064] 4065 4066 ... 8167