Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4031 4032 [4033] 4034 4035 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429445 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60480 on: April 17, 2013, 11:27:10 pm »

Someone caught a video of the fertilizer plant explosion. I don't think there are much bigger booms than that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60481 on: April 17, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »

Someone caught a video of the fertilizer plant explosion. I don't think there are much bigger booms than that.
Damn...

Poor kid, too. Hope his/her hearing recovers  :-\
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #60482 on: April 17, 2013, 11:34:00 pm »

Damn...

Poor kid, too. Hope his/her hearing recovers  :-\
That was a her, I think.
Damn.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60483 on: April 17, 2013, 11:43:39 pm »

Most likely will. Temporary deafness is common from explosions.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60484 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:24 pm »

Frankly young kids are hard to tell apart my tone of voice. Since you know, the differences generally set in during puberty.

There really seems to be a lot of exploding factories in that area. This is the third I can think of in the last five or six years or so.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60485 on: April 17, 2013, 11:51:11 pm »

There's probably a lot of volatile chemicals being worked on in that area. Wide open spaces with low population density are about the safest places to work on stuff like that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60486 on: April 18, 2013, 12:08:02 am »

At least one of said explosions was in the industrial area of Texas City. The other was a factory explosion which I can't track down... because I found four or five likely results and I can't remember which one it was (the one I vaguely remember wasn't in Texas but in that area, I want to say Arkansas?). This sort of thing certainly does seem to happen periodically everywhere there's industry so it's probably all just some kind of perceptual bias anyway.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60487 on: April 18, 2013, 12:26:21 am »

I just can't deal with one of my acquaintance's chronic depression anymore.  I don't know what to say about it.  I feel put-upon and tired.  It's like he expects to say "I feel down" and then I'll rush in and make him feel better.

You feel down!  Yes, and?  Did anything happen?  No?

I realize that I sound like a self-centered little shit, but I actually think that this is the first time in my life when I don't generally feel, well, chronically sad.  I'm not succeeding all the time, I mess up plenty, and I'm still doing okay--this is really new for me.  I don't want to have expended all that effort to get away from my own depression in order to just fall into someone else's sinkhole.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60488 on: April 18, 2013, 12:36:58 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 04:10:19 pm by Ogdibus »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60489 on: April 18, 2013, 12:44:27 am »

I invite friends to go for a run with me when they seem a little depressed. They say yes and get some exercise, which makes them feel better, or they say no and I get to avoid them until they latch onto somebody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60490 on: April 18, 2013, 12:59:33 am »

I invite friends to go for a run with me when they seem a little depressed. They say yes and get some exercise, which makes them feel better, or they say no and I get to avoid them until they latch onto somebody else.

He has muscular dystrophy.  So unfortunately, that would be a pretty shitty thing to do.

He might see you as a sort of anchor.  I don't think you're really the person that he should look to for that sort of thing.  You both probably need a friend that shits sunshine.  It makes a difference for me, at least.

Yup.  But he's sooo shy and I'm his best friend blah blah blah.

I didn't ask for this.  He was briefly happier when he thought for some godforsaken reason that I was going to be his girlfriend (he asked me out immediately after leaving the psychiatric hospital) and now, possibly because I told him some many months after the rejection that I was interested in someone (in the interest of having a healthier, less "maybe this might turn into something if I pray hard enough" relationship), he's taken A Turn For The Worse.  I don't have a problem with "I have this problem, let's discuss it," but it practically enrages me when folks show up looking glum and expecting me to pull it out and give a billion soothing reassuring gestures.  I am not this fellow's girlfriend.  I am not willing to act like the ultimate emotional sponge that this fellow seems to require out of his friendships.

I don't think he's trying to be emotionally manipulative, but I am totally done dealing with this sort of situation.  I've done it before.  I am done.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #60491 on: April 18, 2013, 01:02:01 am »

Well that situation sucks Queen Elizabeth's ... crown.
Do you know anyone who he would actually like? You could introduce them and hopefully be left alone.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #60492 on: April 18, 2013, 01:02:26 am »

Protip, you should probably tell him all of this. He might not react well, but in the end it might be good for him. Perhaps more importantly, if you don't he'll try to cling even harder.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60493 on: April 18, 2013, 01:04:26 am »

He has muscular dystrophy.  So unfortunately, that would be a pretty shitty thing to do.
Ok, well at this point I feel like the biggest jerk in the known universe. I mean I know that wasn't your intention but holy shit is my foot in my mouth.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60494 on: April 18, 2013, 01:06:30 am »

I don't know anyone who would like him.

Given that he's ~suicidal~, or has been, we'll see about what I tell him.

Pages: 1 ... 4031 4032 [4033] 4034 4035 ... 8167