Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9477144 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #6045 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:00 am »

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a "delete user and all of user's posts" admin function? Considering spam has been always been an issue with open forums, it seems like it would be irresponsible not to build one into the software.

I can't imagine a spambot constitutes more than a mild annoyance, certainly nothing compared to fucking calling an admin (presumably long distance) and waking him up in order to cry that there are a few dozen spam posts, as you suggested. ::)
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: May 24, 2010, 06:49:50 am »

Armok: So, you will not change your avatar ever? I hope you don't mind me saying this, but that is something I am really grateful for. I am really bad at remembering names, so avatars are also important for my orientation. Thus, whenever someone changes their avatar, it is somewhat confusing for me.
Yup. And why would I mind that?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: May 24, 2010, 07:11:25 am »

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a "delete user and all of user's posts" admin function? Considering spam has been always been an issue with open forums, it seems like it would be irresponsible not to build one into the software.

I can't imagine a spambot constitutes more than a mild annoyance, certainly nothing compared to fucking calling an admin (presumably long distance) and waking him up in order to cry that there are a few dozen spam posts, as you suggested. ::)

Wait what. Who said that and are you absolutely sure that by 'call them up' they didn't mean reporting it?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: May 24, 2010, 07:32:04 am »

Wait what. Who said that and are you absolutely sure that by 'call them up' they didn't mean reporting it?
Deathworks said that he didn't know toady's phone number, and hence couldn't give him an "emergency call about the spam bot". Implying that he thought an acceptable course of action would be to call him about it.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: May 24, 2010, 07:36:36 am »

Ah yes, that strikes me as a less than reasonable idea.

Presumably it was a joke, Deathworks?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6050 on: May 24, 2010, 08:36:18 am »

Hi!

Well, it was not really meant to be taken literally. Remember, this is the thread about things making you sad. With the phone call, I meant a means to get action taken quickly so that the spambot would be stopped immediately. However, even if I had that phone number, I would not have called as it would indeed have been unreasonable (besides, I hate telephones). So, it was more regret about there being nothing you can do except for reporting it and waiting as things evolve. In other words, your usual expression of helplessness.

Sorry about the confusion.

Sir Pseudonymous: I am not sure such an option exists. I had the impression that these things were indeed generally being dealt with manually on other forums, but I can't say for sure whether that feature does not exist here.

Armok: Well, I am kind of putting pressure on you with that statement (not much pressure given that I am in no position of power) to actually stick to your present avatar. Whether you keep your avatar or change it is your personal decision and something no one else should give you orders about. That's why I felt it necessarily to add the caveat.

Deathworks

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6051 on: May 24, 2010, 10:25:47 am »

We're a hardened crowd of sarcastic forumites, who won't be offended by presuming things, unless they have to do with minute, specific details that neither party knows anything about.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6052 on: May 24, 2010, 10:54:15 am »

Pulled muscles or whatever in my left side are still annoying me, no deep breaths for awhile yet. :(

ALSO ITS TOO FUCKING HOT.

Every five minutes I basically gotta run my head under the faucet in order to survive this weather.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6053 on: May 24, 2010, 10:56:48 am »

I still laugh my ass off at the live-fire training scene. Every time.

*BLAM*

MMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDIIIIIC!!!
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6054 on: May 24, 2010, 04:30:51 pm »

Had to tell a friend that I couldn't help him today. Sorry, pal, you're just expecting too much of me.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6055 on: May 24, 2010, 07:21:53 pm »

I officially hate being 20.  I want to be a wise old woman who can beat your ass in with an assemblage of weaponry and has years of mathematics under her belt, not a young fumbler.

RAEEEEEEG

So much uncertainty and doubt!  If I can't be 80, though, I'd accept a warp to 27.  I'll be so much more cool then.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6056 on: May 24, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »

I officially hate being 20.  I want to be a wise old woman who can beat your ass in with an assemblage of weaponry and has years of mathematics under her belt, not a young fumbler.

RAEEEEEEG

So much uncertainty and doubt!  If I can't be 80, though, I'd accept a warp to 27.  I'll be so much more cool then.

When you're 27 you won't wish you're 20 again. I mean, maybe if you knew everything you do now! But not just shifted back entirely.

But when you're 37 or older you'll wish you were 27 again. If you ask someone who's 80 if they would rather be 27, 37, 47, 57, 67, 77, or 87 and they say anything but 27, you need to get a far more detailed answer. Because either it's a lie or some serious shit went down when they were younger.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6057 on: May 24, 2010, 07:37:34 pm »

I see, I see.  It seems that 27 is some sort of temporal sweetspot.

I am currently cursing everyone who ever said 16-23/4/whatever are the best years.  "Sweet sixteen" my ass.  It's not even like I was better-looking back then, or less bitter!  You can't possibly say I was young and innocent, as though these were good things... not unless you enjoy the pathological ingenue.  And yeah, I seriously think those who say undergrad is the BEST are crazy, because it isn't (not at my school, anyway.  Forget about "freedom" and "partying" when you have 30-hour problem sets--and yeah, most of the nerds aren't off being hilariously creative and screwing around.  They're working their asses off.).

HMPH.  IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT TO GET OLD.

On the other hand, I am suddenly no longer scared of the passage of time.  So I think this is a net win :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6058 on: May 24, 2010, 07:41:59 pm »

Sweet.

Yeah, we all kick the bucket someday. I thought it would be a pretty cool system to let people goof off and have fun when they're young, and then work when they get older and can't go hiking 60 miles in the snow.

But we do that. It's called public school / government-funded college. Stay as long as you caaaaaan! ;P
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6059 on: May 24, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »

Inaluct is gone.
Makes me sad.
It was always an interesting game of mafia with him.
Pages: 1 ... 402 403 [404] 405 406 ... 8167