Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3999 4000 [4001] 4002 4003 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9450252 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #60001 on: April 05, 2013, 01:42:04 pm »

2 men were arrested in relation to the distribution of a controlled substance pretty much at the time and place of his death - toxicology report will no doubt shed further light on the matter.
This is a blank sig.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60002 on: April 05, 2013, 02:13:16 pm »

Doing logo design for a friends site. It's driving me slightly mad, I'm just not trained nor am I good at this stuff, I throw together shapes and hope for the best, I'm not this kind of artist damn it, and yet most of the stuff I'm asked to do is of this nature.

And of course I'll have trouble telling no to people :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60003 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:57 pm »

Doing logo design for a friends site. It's driving me slightly mad, I'm just not trained nor am I good at this stuff, I throw together shapes and hope for the best, I'm not this kind of artist damn it, and yet most of the stuff I'm asked to do is of this nature.

And of course I'll have trouble telling no to people :C
What sort of site is it?

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60004 on: April 05, 2013, 02:19:37 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:54:05 pm by Ogdibus »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60005 on: April 05, 2013, 02:27:36 pm »

They do advertising on mobile browsers, or something, not entirely sure, I've cobbled some stuff together, hopefully it'll be enough to give him an idea which I can use :D

E: Ninja dude, I'm working with Photoshop, not optimal but I know it pretty well so I can manage most of the time (it can work with vectors I think but I'm not sure I've ever learned that part of it).
AS - IG

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60006 on: April 05, 2013, 02:39:13 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:54:14 pm by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60007 on: April 05, 2013, 02:46:03 pm »

Man.  I'm not really sure about how much I want to hang out with my current group of friends anymore.  We'll see.

The ringleader (our DM) is a really insecure guy from the rich part of LA who does a lot of talking about how rich he is.  I guess I've fallen in the hole again of actually telling people about my economic background, which is obviously quite swanky relative to most of the world but towards the lower rungs of the folks around these parts and the zones I grew up in.  I don't know--is it as annoying to say "I can't afford that" as it is to say "that's not good enough for me" or "my mom can buy all this amazing stuff because she's so rich?"  The "disadvantaged" kids I bust my ass teaching science to every week have more expensive crap than I do.  I haven't done all this work to keep being talked down to--by fourth-graders, grad students, and rich boys...

He's also being mean because I suck at table tennis, but whatever.  It's not just "lulz you suck" it's more of a "seriously what is wrong with you" sort of thing.  I got roped into playing.  I didn't want to play; I just went along with it.  I haven't played in 12 years and, yes, I am pretty goddamn clumsy.

*shrug*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60008 on: April 05, 2013, 06:07:39 pm »

Have you pointed that out to them? It might be an unconciouss thing they're doing. Heck, one of my friends tends to exaggerate, extremely, to the point of being avoided by some people because of the percievied bullshit. He's still a nice guy even if he can sometimes bore you to death with stories of how awesome he is.

@Ogdibus I'm using CS3 right now. I knew some stuff about the paths and all that but they always seemed too complicated to be worth the time while I saw little to no use out of them :S

Also the friend didn't like the stuff. So he very bluntly asked me, what the fuck am I doing, why am I afraid to use my talent. No one ever asked me that, atleast not this directly (but the amount of "maaan you're on the wrong college, you should have went to an art academy" is annoying as ever, get them on a weekly basis). I loved the question, not sure why, but it stopped me in my tracks.

I actually do not know the exact reason of the fear, it could be fear of failure, fear of change, or anything really, but it's buried so damn deep that I'm having trouble reaching it, and I have no idea how should I respond now :I
AS - IG

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60009 on: April 05, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:55:10 pm by Ogdibus »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60010 on: April 05, 2013, 11:36:30 pm »

@Jopax: Yeah, thanks.  I'm mostly venting at this point. . . I'm going to talk to him once I figure out what to say, but it's been a really shitty week for everyone in our group so I'm waiting a bit.  I don't want to just show up and go "YOU'RE A PAMPERED AND CONTROLLING SHIT," which is what I'd be tempted to do right now.

Can't talk to the grad students because they have power over me and can't talk to the kids because they're, like, 10 years old and have no idea what they're doing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60011 on: April 05, 2013, 11:58:19 pm »

Yeah, a few guys in my last gaming group did this whole "joke hostility" thing toward one another ("God, why are you such a hoser!" etc.) One of the players, who generally kept quiet, sort of played along when she got roped into it, but didn't seem to like that kind of teasing. The guys behind it didn't notice until she brought it up with them, but they made sure not to do it to her from then on out, and things were cool.

I don't think the problem is quite that simple, but talking once your head has cooled down usually helps. In my experience, it works best when you start by explaining how you feel, or how it affects you. Then listen to their side of it, and see if you can come to an understanding? Better than just cutting off all ties to them, I think.

THE SOLIFUGE GUIDE FOR WHAT-DO-WHEN-ANGRY-AT-SOMEONE:
A) If you have no reason to see or interact with them again, don't bring it up and/or just remove yourself from the situation.
B) If you want to continue interacting with them, you'll have to improve your relationship with them. Bring things up in a way that builds an understanding between you, and see if you can make things better.

Taking a time out to let your head cool is often a good start.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60012 on: April 06, 2013, 12:18:04 am »

No, I'm not going to cut all ties.  My first reaction to "folks are doing something I don't like, and I am not romancing them" is "quick, cut all ties!" but I'm trying to stop doing that.  I think I just honestly need a little space, though, because he's driving me up the wall.

Sorry, it's been a really shitty week.  Dinner tonight included a friendly acquaintance detailing a B- he'd gotten from a GSI and his desire to rape her (to which another person said "no, just write 'I know where you live' at the bottom of your homework"), on top of everything else I've already detailed ::)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60013 on: April 06, 2013, 12:58:34 am »

Apparently people can't handle hypothetical discussions without letting emotion take precedence over logic and/or reading comprehension :-\
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #60014 on: April 06, 2013, 01:14:11 am »

I'm very surprised if you didn't expect that to devolve quickly.  You didn't handle it well.  Of course, neither did Devling.

It would be a bad idea to draw out discussion of it here, but let me just say that you probably need to work on recognizing when your language is emotionally loaded and that there are proper and improper times to use such language.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 3999 4000 [4001] 4002 4003 ... 8167