Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9479825 times)

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #5955 on: May 22, 2010, 10:43:52 am »

Hello!

Bjlong: What kind of book are you writing? A novel?
Any way of adding narrator comment to the boring part?

Deathworks

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5956 on: May 22, 2010, 10:45:47 am »

I know very well that you are all right in saying that I should try and partake in conversations, and just as well that I am in fact part of a working community, but I still should know that there is a difference between talking to somebody in the flesh, and having conversation a by using typed words.

The main problem is that people, mainly in my school environment, tend to demand for me to change things about myself that I simply do not want to change.

This has the result that I stand out in a negative way when I don't.

Note: To me it is still of certain significance to note that I do still have friends, but that even between them I have a hard time understanding how to deal with them. Strangely enough I do know how to talk and discuss matters with adults. It has basically been like that my entire life, the fact that I socialize with adults, along with being different than the mainstream person, strengthening the resolve of the teenager/child community to shun me.

I did finally manage to become some form of 'better not talk to much with him, although he's not too bad of a person' after several years of throwing myself into normal social situations in class and breaks.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5957 on: May 22, 2010, 10:56:04 am »

Yes, it's a novel. I don't know about adding commentary--I tend to stray from that. Besides, this is more exposition than boring-to-read, which means that I'm just having trouble putting my heart into "So-and-so did this. That means thus and such" rather than making boring stuff interesting. Readers will be happy enough to finally understand what's going on.

Hrrg. I need to just buckle down and write. *gameface*
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 11:12:58 am by bjlong »
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5958 on: May 22, 2010, 10:58:34 am »

After about 3 years of high school now I know I have changed, I wouldn't be who I am now unless I did change.  I wear different clothes and shoes, I talk differently.  I stopped hating people for who they are, you need to care for people you like.  When I see someone I know they greet me in a cheerful voice.  You should return with the same.  People don't like to hang out with negative people, because no one wants to be unhappy.  I think that sums up the truth, sure there are people you don't like (I call them assholes), but you don't talk to them, you could insult them or something if you wanted to I don't care unless you get caught or something.  From what I know my favorite people to hang out with are nice ones that,
1.  Don't talk about themselves all the time.
2.  Acknowledge I exist.
3.  Are just flat out hospitable.
4.  Funny is a nice thing to have.
5.  Don't complain ever minute of everyday, I would love some happiness in yah about something.
From right now I have 20 friends on Facebook if that means anything.  Let me just tell you that all of those 20 friends requested to be my friend.  Wow that sounded geeky.

Is that idealistic or what.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5959 on: May 22, 2010, 10:59:32 am »

I did finally manage to become some form of 'better not talk to much with him, although he's not too bad of a person' after several years of throwing myself into normal social situations in class and breaks.
Hello kindred spirit.

Actually, the best time I have ever had socially where I was not like this was that hike I went on like a month ago. It was just 16 dudes hiking in the Shenandoahs and playing around, having a good time. It was a huge help to me, so perhaps some event where you need to get involved in some way would work. Helps to have older guys there that make sure everything is smooth. Sports might work, but I never got involved in them myself.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5960 on: May 22, 2010, 11:01:33 am »

I was planning to start boxing when I turn sixteen..

I was also hoping that that would help me, both by making me feel more confident and by possibly making new friends.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5961 on: May 22, 2010, 11:10:35 am »

Yes, it's a novel. I don't know about adding commentary--I tend to stray from that. Besides, this is more exposition than boring-to-read, which means that I'm just having trouble putting my heart into "So-and-so did this. That means thus and such rather than making boring stuff interesting. Readers will be happy enough to finally understand what's going on.

Hrrg. I need to just buckle down and write. *gameface*

i need to buckle down and write too. i imagine a bunch of people who were following my LP might think it finally died. it has not! i just need to sit my ass down and work on it.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #5962 on: May 22, 2010, 04:21:42 pm »

1.  Don't talk about themselves all the time.

This really pisses me off. I talk to people, and suddenly they are uninterested in your story and decide to drone on about shitty puns or math stories. I never met people like this until university (where I was suddenly surrounded by engineering and computer science students), and man was it ever jarring not being able to actually have conversations.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5963 on: May 22, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »

As I see it, the problem with the whole affair was NOT that they used the same avatar as me, but that they used a work of art I made without permission, and then used it in order to mock me.

- if I had not made the avatar myself, but used a picture made by someone else, it would have been ok.
- if they had asked me first and I said it was ok, it'd have been ok
- if they had been clearly attributing me and does it in a respectful way (Aka, "because I admire him so" in a non-mocking way) it'd have been ok.

Any of those things. But instead they claimed to have made it first, made fun of my spelling, etc. That's what made it not OK.
Also the puppet account sending me threatening PMs.

Also, the angry thread didn't really need deleting...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5964 on: May 22, 2010, 05:20:34 pm »

- if they had been clearly attributing me and does it in a respectful way (Aka, "because I admire him so" in a non-mocking way) it'd have been ok.

Any of those things. But instead they claimed to have made it first, made fun of my spelling, etc. That's what made it not OK.
Also the puppet account sending me threatening PMs.

Nobody's going to suck your dick, and nobody's going to apply the other two conditions when joking with you. I will refrain from sharing my general opinion of you, be it positive or negative, so that the following statement is as neutral as it possibly could be coming from my keyboard: You have made a mistake. By getting upset over this, you have cemented the feelings of forumgoers who dislike you, alienated forumgoers who had no opinion of you, and discouraged forumgoers who thought you were a great dude. It would have been a far better approach to celebrate the internetz with us, rather than toss out some reports to an administrator.

I had not been aware that somebody had been sending you threatening PMs, however. The game is only fun on the public forum. If Pathos was the one sending you PMs, he definitely deserved a good muting. I, personally, only joke around with you out of good, clean fun, and not to actively make your day terrible (though, I also believe your day will only be made as terrible as you make it out to be). You're really not all that different from any other young kid on messageboards. I was similar when I was 11 or 12. Except I was more anal retentive about spelling and grammar. And I didn't believe I could feel things with my eyes. Other than, much the same.

Granted, if you're not 11 or 12, I've probably grossly offended you. Don't be upset. I don't make any apology for it, because the truth is that I actually think you're a kid. If you're older than this, I will be surprised, to say the least. I may also have to rethink my entire view of your forum persona.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5965 on: May 22, 2010, 05:30:12 pm »

Nobody's going to suck your dick,

Where'd he request that?  He was just explaining the line between offensive and inoffensive behavior.

You have made a mistake. By getting upset over this, you have cemented the feelings of forumgoers who dislike you, alienated forumgoers who had no opinion of you, and discouraged forumgoers who thought you were a great dude.

You don't speak for me, and I think it's unfair of you to say he's "getting upset" when he was giving a calm answer to the statements that it was all in good fun.

It would have been a far better approach to celebrate the internetz with us, rather than toss out some reports to an administrator.

What makes you think he reported anyone?  There were tons of people reporting that crap on his behalf.  Me, for one.

I can't believe I'm having to defend Armok here, but y'all are being unbelievably callous.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5966 on: May 22, 2010, 05:33:49 pm »

It would have been a far better approach to celebrate the internetz with us, rather than toss out some reports to an administrator.

What makes you think he reported anyone?  There were tons of people reporting that crap on his behalf.  Me, for one.

If I remember correctly, Armok hates it when people are muted or banned, so wouldn't he not report someone to keep that from happening?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5967 on: May 22, 2010, 05:45:41 pm »

Slept wrong, now my left shoulder down to just below the left side of my chest hurts. :(
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5968 on: May 22, 2010, 05:55:30 pm »

You don't speak for me

This is the only part of your post I really feel like responding to, because it's one of these wordplay tricks people try to call me on all the time, and now I get to do it. I didn't say "all the forumgoers who hold such and such opinion of you". I just said "forumgoers who hold such and such opinion of you", the difference in these statements implying that I am not trying to speak for the entire forum, but stating my belief that there are forumgoers who are being affected this way. I believe that this is particularly the case with people who thought Armok was pretty swell and partook in the sharing of his avatar.

As for the reporting: I can only say shame on you fellows for not letting Armok settle his own situations, then. Armok spoke up very little during the entire 24 hour period, and there were a number of overreactions from people who were not Armok in the Anger thread. The fun times probably would have been more fun times if there hadn't been so much gun jumping.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5969 on: May 22, 2010, 05:57:50 pm »

If I remember correctly, Armok hates it when people are muted or banned, so wouldn't he not report someone to keep that from happening?
Yea, except for that puppet account. I think someting like say making him unable to have any avatar at ll for a few months might have been more apropriate. But nobody was baned so sooner or later evrything will return to normal.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 396 397 [398] 399 400 ... 8167