Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3960 3961 [3962] 3963 3964 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473397 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #59415 on: March 21, 2013, 11:54:58 am »

A "developer advocate", whatever that means, cost a father of three his job due to him making one of the oldest jokes in the industry.

Why, why did people have to ruin the term feminism. But then, with my gender remaining undisclosed, I'll shut up and click post.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 15466496) (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /home/byag/public_html/wp-includes/deprecated.php on line 2121

:c

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59416 on: March 21, 2013, 11:55:48 am »

When your kid comes up and asks in no unquestioning terms what the fuck is this while holding up a bag of chips. Don't eat it. For the love of god. Don't eat it.

Chicken and waffles chips. Who's fucking idea was this shit aauugauguag. Why did I do that.

I've lost control of my life.

The worst part is Janet thinks they're okay.
Seems legit. Chicken and waffles is a thing. A tasty thing. Not so sure about in chip form, though.
Saw them in the store the other day, thought about Owlga's warning.....

YOLO  :P

They're not so much terrible as just really, really odd. At first, you mostly taste maple syrup. Which is pretty fucking weird coming from a potato chip. Then that kinda fades and you're left with a fried chicken aftertaste.

I wouldn't buy them again, but I'll probably finish the bag.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #59417 on: March 21, 2013, 12:02:30 pm »

[stuff about chicken and waffle...chips]
Read the ingredients O_o Something may not be right.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59418 on: March 21, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »

That's one of the few cases where I honestly disagree with the person in question.  It is honestly really, really hard to have people say "Ooh, 20% female attendance!  We're doing great!"  And people should behave professionally at a professional conference, indeed.  The guy probably shouldn't have made the table jokes in general, because seriously, fuck sexual harassment jokes--I could understand that fellow getting reprimanded, because the pervasiveness of that sort of thing honestly does create a difficult atmosphere.  But if the point of the forking and dongle jokes is what I think it is, no one should be losing his job over that.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with my spare time over the next week.

EDIT: Just for clarification's sake, the reason why I'm complaining about this is that I've been so geared to work over the past while that I don't have much in the way of dreams left at the moment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 12:11:54 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #59419 on: March 21, 2013, 12:08:04 pm »

Why do we have to eat every single day D:?

I have to buy foodstuff again today. Probably cook it as well, then try to stuff it in my mouth before it gets cold. I have some serious first world problems right now.

On top of that, I might encounter people in the kitchen.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59420 on: March 21, 2013, 12:09:47 pm »

A "developer advocate", whatever that means, cost a father of three his job due to him making one of the oldest jokes in the industry.

Why, why did people have to ruin the term feminism. But then, with my gender remaining undisclosed, I'll shut up and click post.
Thank God there is a brave woman out there watching out for all us pitiful little female programmers, when the big scary men started making jokes about forking, I had to excuse myself from the room lest my pretty little brain be forever soiled.
*Hugs*

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59421 on: March 21, 2013, 12:10:07 pm »

I'd try that.

Also dammit I have work to do stop posting here, hands.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #59422 on: March 21, 2013, 12:11:25 pm »

Am I the only one having problems trying to connect to that site? Everything works fine, except that site :/.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #59423 on: March 21, 2013, 12:11:41 pm »

Why do we have to eat every single day D:?
Don't have to. It's just not very healthy not to. And it gets a little distracting, 'cause the fleshy bits aren't really optimized for skipping days. The brain thing and all the other bitsies chew up a lot of energy. Unfortunately.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59424 on: March 21, 2013, 12:12:05 pm »

That's one of the few cases where I honestly disagree with the person in question.  It is honestly really, really hard to have people say "Ooh, 20% female attendance!  We're doing great!"  And people should behave professionally at a professional conference, indeed.  The guy probably shouldn't have made the table jokes in general, because seriously, fuck sexual harassment jokes--I could understand that fellow getting reprimanded, because the pervasiveness of that sort of thing honestly does create a difficult atmosphere.  But if the point of the forking and dongle jokes is what I think it is, no one should be losing his job over that.
I could even have agreed with her if she had taken the simple action to turn around and say, "Guys? Seriously? Not cool."
If they kept going after that, it's malicious intent rather than ignorance.

Many, many times, people say things that they don't think of as offensive and if informed that it's offensive, will stop (and often be apologetic about it).

Keeping silent while tweeting for all hell to break loose is just some straight-up passive-aggressive bullshit.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59425 on: March 21, 2013, 12:15:44 pm »

Yeah.  There are times when I could understand people being too cowed to say something (Example: in my 8th grade science class, a couple of guys I was supposed to work with would stare at me, and talk quietly amongst themselves while making explicit "fucking" motions with their fingers).  However, this shouldn't have been one of them, especially because hell, it looks like she's got a job to be good at socializing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59426 on: March 21, 2013, 12:19:45 pm »

@SpareTimeVector: Kendooooooo!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59427 on: March 21, 2013, 12:20:08 pm »

And she doesn't really specify exactly how long these carried on. From all I can read in her blog there were two individual jokes.
Christ, I make jokes like that all the time.
*Hugs*

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59428 on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:22 pm »

And she doesn't really specify exactly how long these carried on. From all I can read in her blog there were two individual jokes.
Christ, I make jokes like that all the time.
But...but....you're a female! You're not supposed to think about things like that! :-0

I always get kind of rankled when people (male or female) assumed that sexual innuendo and racy jokes are purely the domain of men. I know several women who make jokes and comments that make *me* blush.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59429 on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:42 pm »

Fuuuuu--

Spring Break is next week. Two of my teachers have already sworn not to give any assignments during the break. This is good.
My C teacher, on the other hand...one assignment given today, due Monday. Another will be assigned tomorrow, due date currently unknown but these things rarely get more than a week of time to be worked on. He has also declared that it will be worth more points and have more questions than a normal assignment. Sadistic bastard  :(
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3960 3961 [3962] 3963 3964 ... 8167