Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3908 3909 [3910] 3911 3912 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9473617 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58635 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:07 am »

You guys need to read the story about that parrot.  I stumbled upon it myself a few years ago.  The way the researchers wrote about it, they really believed and made a convincing case for the parrot being highly intelligent with personality.  They had conversations with it.  They cried when it died.  I remember one of the researcher's first response when the news was broken to her over the phone was "But he was larger than life!"  I wish I could remember his name.  I'd look it up and go read it again right now.
That parrot's name is Alex. I remember reading about it, and it kind of gave me the willies.

Ahh yes... and he has a Wikipedia page.

I think it's fascinating, and calls a lot of preconceptions into question.  If birds weren't so messy, I'd seriously consider a pet parrot.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58636 on: March 02, 2013, 12:34:22 am »

Ehn... it's honestly not that bad, from what I've seen. Aunt has an African Grey (Which... she got for free. Showed up in her school's backyard or somethin'. It's notable 'cause those buggers are usually a few hundred bucks.), and a good dozen or so smaller non-parrots, and with a decent cage and a good stand, clean-up's not too intensive. Maybe a lil'more than keeping up with a litterbox, but not painfully so. Bit expensive, insofar as pets go, and from what I recall a bit more medical considerations than you'd have with a cat or dog (non-purebred, anyway) or suchlike. Dunno if you're in an area where the climate's alright for 'em, though. Sweet nature bird, pretty friendly if a lil'nibbly. Likes taunting their dog.

But gods weep keep Macaws away from me. Those things are goddamn terrifying. Take your bloody hand off at the wrist. Smaller parrot at least'll only take part of a finger.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #58637 on: March 02, 2013, 12:36:16 am »

Oh, no. You'll find that if you're even minimally skilled in anything at all, you apparently OWE it to all of the people around you to share it with them, free of charge, at any given moment.

You know the only thing anyone comes to me like that anymore is gun related stuff. And not only do I actually REALLY enjoy taking apart, cleaning them, servicing them or loading ammo, I REALLY don't trust any of them to do it on their own if they feel they should ask me instead.

So for once this works out for me! Somehow.

Reminds me I have about 50 9x19mm rounds to load tomorrow afternoon.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58638 on: March 02, 2013, 12:46:56 am »

I've always meant to get into that, but I had to get rid of my pistol once my nephew learned how to move. Guns and toddlers do not mix (and I don't have room for a decent safe).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58639 on: March 02, 2013, 12:49:41 am »

Ehn... it's honestly not that bad, from what I've seen. Aunt has an African Grey (Which... she got for free. Showed up in her school's backyard or somethin'. It's notable 'cause those buggers are usually a few hundred bucks.), and a good dozen or so smaller non-parrots, and with a decent cage and a good stand, clean-up's not too intensive. Maybe a lil'more than keeping up with a litterbox, but not painfully so. Bit expensive, insofar as pets go, and from what I recall a bit more medical considerations than you'd have with a cat or dog (non-purebred, anyway) or suchlike. Dunno if you're in an area where the climate's alright for 'em, though. Sweet nature bird, pretty friendly if a lil'nibbly. Likes taunting their dog.

But gods weep keep Macaws away from me. Those things are goddamn terrifying. Take your bloody hand off at the wrist. Smaller parrot at least'll only take part of a finger.

My grandmother had a parrot.  Don't know what kind.  It was pretty old when it fell on us to take care of it after she had her stroke.  Missing most of its feathers and had a bad attitude.  I was young enough that the thing I remember most about it is how much my parents hated it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58640 on: March 02, 2013, 01:03:20 am »

Ah. Yeah, by and large, the same thing that applies to birds are the same the thing that applies to, well... most animals. It's generally not the animal's fault that it's got a bad attitude, and proper treatment and raising generally can prevent such things (there's exceptions, but they're, well, exceptions). The feathers missing in particular was probably a sign of either poor care, very old age, or both, and most likely the first (with no insult intended toward the grandmother, per se, but like with all animals there's a certain degree of study and effort involved to take care of them and when you let either of those slide it can cause problems.) or the last.

It's just... if you've got the space for it, and the resources, and the will, study up on things, maybe consult a nearby vet or somethin'. Don't let previous bad experience dissuade you, a parrot can be a pretty solid pet, just like any of the other more intelligent animals, if it's treated right.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Slayerhero90

• Bay Watcher
  • Time for Taako's opinion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58641 on: March 02, 2013, 01:07:30 am »

Welp. I've just set in stone that my soon-to-be Roleplaying character is like this:
Take all of F:NV's Caesar's Legion's atrocities, square it, and make it so that a catgirl's responsible.
That's Roksana. Scary person. Anyways, I'm a bit nervous about it.
My tumblr.
Yeah no I don't haunt here anymore. Peace

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58642 on: March 02, 2013, 01:30:32 am »

The feathers missing in particular was probably a sign of either poor care, very old age, or both, and most likely the first (with no insult intended toward the grandmother, per se, but like with all animals there's a certain degree of study and effort involved to take care of them and when you let either of those slide it can cause problems.) or the last.

None taken.  She was... far from a model person, and I'm well aware that she was probably responsible for the animal's behavior.  I just prefer to avoid pets that involve a lot of cleaning up after.  A rodent is too much clean-up for me.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #58643 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:04 am »

The feathers missing in particular was probably a sign of either poor care, very old age, or both, and most likely the first (with no insult intended toward the grandmother, per se, but like with all animals there's a certain degree of study and effort involved to take care of them and when you let either of those slide it can cause problems.) or the last.

None taken.  She was... far from a model person, and I'm well aware that she was probably responsible for the animal's behavior.  I just prefer to avoid pets that involve a lot of cleaning up after.  A rodent is too much clean-up for me.

How about a ferret? *Goes on to research ferrets*

Edit : If you remove their glands they don't stink up the place. :P
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 07:46:54 am by Korbac »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58644 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:47 am »

I love ferrets!  Never had one though.  I have sugar gliders.  They're like little gliding chipmunk ferrets from Australia.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #58645 on: March 02, 2013, 10:41:08 am »

Ah, the noble land of Australia: where most things are trying to kill you, trying not to kill the non native rabbits, or to hop, glide, or fly above all the things trying to kill you but not the rabbits. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #58646 on: March 02, 2013, 10:56:08 am »

Rabbits are the top of the food chain.
Drats.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58647 on: March 02, 2013, 11:00:06 am »

Everyone knows that isz are the dominant species of the outback.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #58648 on: March 02, 2013, 01:12:08 pm »

Dinner date got cancelled. Girlfriend #2's best friend got laid off, so she's out of town being a good friend. Not too much of a sad though, can't fault anyone for being a good friend. And given that I had much worse things in mind as possible reasons why I hadn't heard from her in a couple of days, it was a relief to hear from her.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58649 on: March 02, 2013, 01:47:32 pm »

I don't want to go.
Pages: 1 ... 3908 3909 [3910] 3911 3912 ... 8167