Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3885 3886 [3887] 3888 3889 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9481239 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #58290 on: February 20, 2013, 10:45:40 pm »

Last snowboarding session, and they still didn't teach me how to use the chairlift so I could go to the better slopes. Oh well.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58291 on: February 20, 2013, 10:48:18 pm »

I'm kinda confused, because when I went skiing for the first time you had to use chairlifts to access any slopes at all, even the beginner ones.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58292 on: February 20, 2013, 10:59:10 pm »

The green slopes here are accessed by conveyer.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58293 on: February 21, 2013, 12:27:47 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:33:03 pm by Ogdibus »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #58294 on: February 21, 2013, 12:42:05 am »

... how's that work, exactly? 'Cause it's... not at their expense. At all.

And I don't exactly think you're there to help other people pass tests. If you are, it should be by helping them study and learn, not by intentionally performing poorly. That cheapens your experience and steals their chance to be evaluated appropriately. It benefits no one.

So, feel good about your score. If you did well, you did well. You literally can't succeed at the expense of others in that situation. They're not involved in your good performance.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58295 on: February 21, 2013, 01:09:38 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:33:20 pm by Ogdibus »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #58296 on: February 21, 2013, 02:23:50 am »

So a friend recommended me to pinterest to get recipes... and yeah, it's admittedly pretty good for that. If you ever find yourself wanting to swap information that a 40 year old woman would want to exchange with you, pinterest is pretty useful for that shit.

Anyways, I usually rate recipes for their deliciousness to difficulty ratio, which I think is pretty reasonable, but everyone here rates them based on deliciousness to calories. It just puts a damper on the whole thing.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58297 on: February 21, 2013, 02:26:02 am »

Just read a letter from a shelter manager talking about the horror of his job.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What makes me sad is that I can't even bring myself to care much.  I understand that it's horrible, but I burn all my emotional energy worrying about humanity's problems.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58298 on: February 21, 2013, 02:29:46 am »

^
*looks at cat*
HARGBLARGLAAAAAAAAAAAAFFFFUUUUU
SMASH BAD THINGS
I AM OVERWHELMED WITH INCREDIBLE RAGE AND ANGER
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58299 on: February 21, 2013, 05:41:31 pm »

I can take a little solace in that my family has never dumped an animal off at a shelter at least.  And now I feel pretty petty for coming to post this, but I will anyway.

I made an extremely amateur mistake last week while coding up a profiler for this DSP.  So, while I knew the unoptimized version of this code was taking about 290 million cycles to complete, I was misled to believe that I had reduced that time to about 8.5 million cycles.  An astronomical improvement, which was plausible given the changes I made (caching intermediate results in a very fast SRAM instead of writing them back to external memory every time).

Yes, well, I discovered my mistake today.  Instead of reducing the running time by a factor of 34x, I actually increased the running time by about 5%.  How was I so grossly misled?

An uninitialized counter at the start of the profiling code.  It just happened to pick a number that looked plausible.  Oh, no, normally when you do this you get something like -199 (negative time makes no sense), or an extremely high value that's absurd, or an extremely tiny value that's likewise nonsense.  Nope, this time, it picked a number that looked like it might be okay, but it wasn't.  The code runs inside a debugger and so fast that I can't tell the difference between 0.008 and 0.29 seconds, so I intuitively had no idea it was wrong.

Now, normally I'd just be frustrated and conclude that my optimization attempt was a bust and try something else.  Oh, but I already told my research advisor I got those numbers, and he may have already sent them as part of a proposal for a grant.  So, my extremely amateur mistake may have falsified data (unknowingly at least), my advisor thinks I'm a god at this stuff, and I'm back to square one.  After weeks of fighting this thing.

Well, okay, that's pretty annoying.  But, to put the icing on the cake, I was supposed to meet with my advisor at 3:15 this afternoon.  As usual, he's nowhere to be seen.  I can't remember the last time we scheduled a meeting and it actually happened remotely close to when it was supposed to.

So I guess he'll just get the bad news in an email, and I get to walk back home swearing to myself for making such a stupid mistake and not being anywhere closer to getting a publication or finishing my Ph.D.

I've known for a while now why something like 80% of students drop out of the Ph.D program, but I still don't like being reminded of why.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #58300 on: February 21, 2013, 06:32:54 pm »

When my family wants a new pet, we just grab one of the kittens climbing the screen door.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58301 on: February 21, 2013, 06:34:38 pm »

When my family wants a new pet, we just grab one of the kittens climbing the screen door.
How to deal with sieges: One adoption at a time.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #58302 on: February 21, 2013, 06:44:23 pm »

'Anti-racist is Anti-white!'

Well, yes, if you're a white racist. :P

Also, they're right. I'm totally anti - white, despite being white. I've obviously been getting it wrong all these years! :P

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #58303 on: February 21, 2013, 06:44:59 pm »

Youtube comments: what the fuck does that have to do with the video?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #58304 on: February 21, 2013, 06:46:44 pm »

The 'Anti-racist is Anti-white!' brigade is infesting the comments of quite a few dream theater videos...

I'm fed up with them, to be honest. They say a fuckload of bullshit, then act as if they're superior and anyone not agreeing with them are actually retards.
Oh, I see your problem. You're reading the comments.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.
Pages: 1 ... 3885 3886 [3887] 3888 3889 ... 8167