Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3844 3845 [3846] 3847 3848 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456802 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57675 on: January 23, 2013, 04:38:18 pm »

Has anyone drank enough diet soda that they start to feel intensely ill?
Yes. Usually one is sufficient.

Seriously, that shit's nasty.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57676 on: January 23, 2013, 04:45:11 pm »

I think I drank about 6 or 7 (bottles and cans)... and 8 if I include this non-diet pop.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57677 on: January 23, 2013, 05:01:55 pm »

That'd probably be enough to make you sick pretty much regardless of what you were drinking, if you downed it in a short enough period. S'somewhere between two and three two liter bottles, if my estimatin's close.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57678 on: January 23, 2013, 05:02:32 pm »

Considering the migraines they trigger, yeah, I feel the same way.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57679 on: January 23, 2013, 05:11:31 pm »

That'd probably be enough to make you sick pretty much regardless of what you were drinking, if you downed it in a short enough period. S'somewhere between two and three two liter bottles, if my estimatin's close.
I once tried about that much in water and it pretty much ended up spouting back out under the pressure I'd tried to force it down with.
It was more amusing than it had right to be.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57680 on: January 23, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »

I used to be horribly addicted to soda. (I still am but I drink much less now)  But 8 cans of Dr Pepper in one day would have still made me feel ill.  I used to do between 5 and 7 a day, but 8 was some precipice of badness that was some kind of horrible sudden 180 from happy to nauseous.

And yes diet soda is absolutely nasty.  Especially the ones with the artificial sweeteners that are actually potentially worse for you than the normal sodas.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 05:23:55 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57681 on: January 23, 2013, 07:02:52 pm »

dude 8 cans? thats like a fast food run in calories

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57682 on: January 23, 2013, 08:57:21 pm »

Giving up soda was one of the best decisions I've made, in terms of personal health. Both in regards to how I feel (because that's an absurd amount of refined sugar to be consuming), and in terms of dental bills. All it took was one cavity drilling (and my dentist's aide repeatedly messing up the shots and scraping my jaw), and that was that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57683 on: January 24, 2013, 03:10:42 am »

Pregnant friend is getting an abortion soon.

It's happening so fast. There's worrying, there's stress. I haven't been involved in any of the discussions but I can imagine them. Isn't she supposed to cry for weeks, balancing her life against another? I don't think it's quite that romantic.

I guess this is just one of those things no amount of warning can convey. Yeah, everyone knows about the protesters harassing women outside the clinic. Everyone knows about the shame. They know about women who hide it from their friends and family that would hate them if they knew.

But it's surreal having it happen to one of your closest friends. All your rationalizations go away. There's no "Oh, it can't be that bad." It is that bad. The doctors warned her about the people that are going to be outside that morning. I can't talk about this in real life because I know that if I say one word wrong, some of my friends would hate her.

The person who can't know the most is one of her friends she goes out drinking with. She probably forgot the condom after one of those nights. Do I really want to be friends with someone I have to keep a secret like this from?

Then again, I'm going to be keeping this secret from most of my friends. Even the ones who won't hate her will think other things. She's pathetic, she's a whore, she's an idiot for forgetting the condom, she's just one of those girls who uses abortion as a second method of birth control.

This is all too heavy.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57684 on: January 24, 2013, 05:56:36 am »

she's an idiot for forgetting the condom, she's just one of those girls who uses abortion as a second method of birth control.
Well yeah, but I don't see why people would think that's something so terribly bad - after all, that's what abortions are for.
But I talked to a few friends about a month ago, and apparently even here in Europe (and among secular people from an academic background) abortions are very controversial. I hope that'll change with time, because that kind of thing can always just happen.

My best wishes for your friend.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57685 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:45 am »

I suppose mine is nothing as serious, but man, my schedule for next quarter sucks. Four days a week, it looks like this:

8-9     CLASS
10-11 CLASS
12-1   CLASS
2-3     CLASS

Who knows what I'm going to do with all those 1 hour breaks, but to make matters worse my earliest class this term starts at 2 pm, so shifting my entire sleep schedule by 6 hours is going to be pretty rough. Plus I have three labs as well, so I'll probably be crushed by work.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Skold

• Bay Watcher
  • Halaster has nothing on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57686 on: January 24, 2013, 08:08:55 am »

I have a first world problem that keeps on happening. I want to buy a can of Rockstar since they are on sale for $1.21 USD at the grocery store nearest to me, but I have exactly $1.14 USD in my bank account. My bank requires that I have at least $1.00 USD in my bank account at all times in order to avoid being charged close to $30.00 USD.

I guess I am disappointed that as usual by around Thursday or Friday I am unable to make any purchases outside of penny candy. I am also disappointed that the only penny candy store in [REDACTED] County closed down about five years ago and even if it was open was close to four towns away from where I am at this time.

It reminds me of when I was younger as well and used to go to or pass by that penny candy store all the time when my mother and her friends would force me to go to their church in hopes that they could perhaps prevent me from growing up into some sort of deviant. Because of that now I'm sad and I want a bag of those non-chocolate Tootsie Rolls that I used to mix together into little bars of vanilla, strawberry, lemon and other sweet flavors before eating when I was a kid. I guess nostalgia does that to people.
I was known as dei before. Chances are that isn't a good thing.

Just as a warning, I have Asperger's Syndrome and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. Between the lack of a sense of humor, the eccentricities, bizarre obsessions and the swiss cheese-like memory, talking to me should be interesting.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57687 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:36 am »

When I left home I thought I'd be harassed by my parents checking up on me. Calls every day, stuff like that.

I have the opposite problem.

It's been three weeks, and I've talked to my parents on the phone twice, and they've responded to my emails once. I feel kinda... forgotten :(
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57688 on: January 24, 2013, 10:54:23 am »

Wait, who were you gain?

edit: Actually, I kinda have the same thing going on, although I didn't really notice it so far. And I go home every two or three weeks or so, which I assume you do not.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:01:05 am by Dutchling »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57689 on: January 24, 2013, 11:14:55 am »

When I left home I thought I'd be harassed by my parents checking up on me. Calls every day, stuff like that.

I have the opposite problem.

It's been three weeks, and I've talked to my parents on the phone twice, and they've responded to my emails once. I feel kinda... forgotten :(
Maybe they're just recognizing that you're an adult and trying to give you some space. How's things going other than that?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 ... 3844 3845 [3846] 3847 3848 ... 8167