Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3842 3843 [3844] 3845 3846 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456011 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57645 on: January 21, 2013, 11:44:50 pm »

*hug*  Can I say I feel like I've been in very much the same boat for quite a while? :X  People say they're very impressed with my patience, but if anything, I'm more able to hide my sheer annoyance towards people.  I rarely feel like I have someone to really talk with, and spend most of my day slugging away at homework and hoping I'll get a better life... eventually o_O

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #57646 on: January 21, 2013, 11:58:06 pm »

Slugging away at mountains of math is hard and rather saddening.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57647 on: January 22, 2013, 05:43:20 am »

Another friend got engaged today.... I am really rather happy for her, as the guy is actually a very decent fellow (rather unlike the last one whom everyone desired to hit repeatedly with a thick phone book for a metropolitan area until he couldn't feel feelings anymore, but miraculously did not and equally miraculously he did not rope her into marriage, thus freeing her up for a better guy), but I can't help privately and silently comparing my situation to hers....

Perhaps the saddest thing. I honestly, truly did not feel sad while doing this, or jealous, and not even numb, just nothing.... Not that I'm awesome and therefore not sad, but rather I'm just past that. Its gotten to the point where I don't feel anything from it, or much else actually.

I get given particularly difficult tasks or particularly difficult people those tasks relate to and I don't feel anything or seem to mind. It's rather how I imagine being dead inside would feel if that felt like anything. I've been told I "have a lot of patience." Patience implies the ability to tolerate something unpleasant or irritable. I don't even feel it at all, even what you'd call numbness, and I'm not convinced that's a good thing.

Stranger still, it isn't as though I "don't care," about things. I care rather a lot about things, but I just can't let myself feel it, the joys, the pains, the anything. If something did not occur that was required to occur, I would perform a series of operations to remedy that, but wouldn't really be feeling anything.

Hmm...

Forgive me for going armchair therapist for a minute, but I suspect that what you're experiencing, in not feeling or reacting emotionally, is a form of dissociation. You've trained a mental reflex to identify sources of emotional pain, and cut yourself off from it. In that first instance, you might rationalize it as an unpleasant or unnecessary feeling that won't help you, or might cause you pain or trouble. After that, you may convince yourself that you don't or shouldn't feel that way, and before long that voice will be quiet, though something unidentifiable may still bug you from time to time... such as these feelings of detachment. It's possible that this reflex has been trained so well that it's become unconscious as well.

It's actually a healthy and necessary part of being a human, to temporarily distance ourselves from our feelings. It's most likely a holdover from when we used to hunt and be hunted, and today still lets us remain functional under stressful or in life-threatening situations. However, when we do it too much in our lives and become dependent on it, it can dull or silence emotions both good and bad, distance us from other human beings, and lead to a generally cold and utilitarian approach to life.

Most importantly, it can cause us to put off dealing with things that would otherwise trouble or bother us, and can lead to excessive amounts of "coping" with situations in ways that can harm us or make us miserable. Letting ourselves have negative feelings can have constructive impacts on our lives... though they can certainly get in the way, there are reasons our genes have programmed us to have emotional reactions like frustration, anger, shame, remorse, sadness, and so on. They can inspire us to take actions which, though they might otherwise be difficult or unpleasant, can be immediately necessary, or benefit us in the long term. Though you don't want to dwell on emotions too much, it's important to consciously allow them to happen, and not brush them aside all the time.

Anyway, I understand what that feels like, and I know it sucks. When you dwell on it, it can make you feel less than human at times. Rest assured, there are a lot of people in that boat, and with time you can begin to heal that emotional divide, if that's something you want to do.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:45:46 am by Solifuge »

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57648 on: January 22, 2013, 07:41:56 am »

Life is pretty dull. Everything feels simulated, including my own feelings. I can't ever discern if I'm feeling "good" or genuinely good.

But there was that one day that I felt genuinely happy. High spirits. Felt good to do work, everything was so poppy and jolly. Too bad things don't ever last that long, and now I'm back to my usual brooding, worth-lacking self.

On the other side of the feelings spectrum, I feel like I lie to myself everyday, even when I know the answer to things I tell myself. Nothing feels real. I'm not a human. I'm just a "human". A facsimile. But of course I realize that there's more to things, and my whole dilemma right now is like fucking Pinnochio trying to become a real boy. Fuck.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57649 on: January 22, 2013, 09:26:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57650 on: January 22, 2013, 10:19:00 am »

The significant other yelled at me about how I'm just spending every day filling time and waiting to die.  I thought about arguing with her, but I realized that she's largely correct. 

It's very depressing to live with someone who is very intelligent and nearly 100% right all the time.  Especially when a large percentage of that time is spent making commentary about my flaws.  Which, humorously, leads to me feeling more depressed.  Which then leads to her being angry about how my emotional state is affecting her.  Which leads to ... etc.

So this is what the inside of a downward spiral looks like. 

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57651 on: January 22, 2013, 10:21:48 am »

That...doesn't sound like a healthy relationship. :(

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #57652 on: January 22, 2013, 10:47:40 am »

I have discovered something interesting about myself: I should not try to fix sleep deprivation with caffeine. This is because, while normal sleep deprivation sans caffeine just makes me a bit depressed, with caffeine I become an all-out, neurotic, clingy, lovesick ball of despair.

Oi.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57653 on: January 22, 2013, 11:26:45 am »

Power naps.  even ten minutes at a time help.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57654 on: January 22, 2013, 11:28:32 am »

Aw, shit. I never got over child fantasies.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57655 on: January 22, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »

Help.

Dear god, when I said that caffeine and sleep deprivation get me panicky over girls, I was right. I'm seriously considering unfriending a friend of mine on Facebook from Finland because...well, because I had a mild crush on her, and a picture of her looking rather cute popped up on my dash and I now feel like I want her to stab me in the chest. Or something. (And yet, of course, I keep going /back/ to my dash, and see it, and feel like I've been whacked in the heart with a large blunt object over, and over, and over again.)

It just doesn't bode well when basically for three straight years, I've only been in contact with/developed feelings for girls I cannot date, either because they're my history teacher, or because they're camp girlfriends who live on the other side of the country, or because it's a gap year and I'll never see them again and we only live in the same town for six months and it's completely pointless and against gap year rules. It's made my romance drive utterly, utterly unhealthy. I just...only ever get lovesick, depressed and neurotic.

(I may also be developing very mild feelings for another exchange student whom I ran into in the street today, which I think is why this is so exacerbated; also I've been mostly deprived of interaction with meatspace friends for four months. I just want to curl up in a little ball under the covers and fall into a coma.)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Maybe I should hire a dominatrix to castrate me or something? Might put me out of my misery.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:28:35 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57656 on: January 22, 2013, 04:37:26 pm »

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHW

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57657 on: January 22, 2013, 04:38:22 pm »

Dude, I fantasized about being on a joint American-Soviet military strike force fighting off an alien invasion. Pretty sure that ain't happening now.
(What? It was the Cold War, my dad was military intel, and I knew my family roots came in part from Russia...perfectly logical.)  :-\

@dhokarena:
Y'know....you could always just say "screw the rules on who i 'can't' date" and date one of them. Even if it just lasts six months, that's better than spending six months with your heart in a blender.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:40:08 pm by RedKing »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57658 on: January 22, 2013, 04:38:47 pm »

D'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHW
Wut?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57659 on: January 22, 2013, 04:46:33 pm »

Dude, I fantasized about being on a joint American-Soviet military strike force fighting off an alien invasion. Pretty sure that ain't happening now.
(What? It was the Cold War, my dad was military intel, and I knew my family roots came in part from Russia...perfectly logical.)  :-\

@dhokarena:
Y'know....you could always just say "screw the rules on who i 'can't' date" and date one of them. Even if it just lasts six months, that's better than spending six months with your heart in a blender.

I'd be a horribly, horribly neurotic and terrible boyfriend. Nobody would care if I dated them- this is Brazil- but I just...shouldn't...

Agh.

Pages: 1 ... 3842 3843 [3844] 3845 3846 ... 8167