Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3840 3841 [3842] 3843 3844 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9454346 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #57615 on: January 20, 2013, 02:10:40 pm »

Communism: All business is government business, everybody works for the government.

Extreme capitalism: Business owns the government, this is the government, thus everyone works for the government.

Not sure where I was going with this. carry on.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57616 on: January 20, 2013, 02:11:31 pm »

On that note, the USA isn't actually capitalist, we have a mixed economy.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57617 on: January 20, 2013, 02:26:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #57618 on: January 20, 2013, 02:29:58 pm »

That pepper makes me smile. Therefore it requires explanation.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57619 on: January 20, 2013, 02:55:04 pm »

No, you mean it is capitalistic, its just not a free free market.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57620 on: January 20, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

No, you mean it is capitalistic, its just not a free free market.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mixed_economy

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57621 on: January 20, 2013, 04:12:02 pm »

You can talk about what terms to use, but we're screwed comparatively is the point. Also I assure you, China's about the most communist you're gonna get. If they call Obama a communist, then China's a million times that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57622 on: January 20, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »

China's about the most communist you're gonna get.

*Points at Best Korea and Cuba*

Really?
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57623 on: January 20, 2013, 04:17:36 pm »

« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:19:35 pm by Darvi »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57624 on: January 20, 2013, 04:25:11 pm »

Thinking on it, there's... something innately hilarious(ly hypocritical) about a(n ostensibly) capitalistic society seeming to be afraid of competition on the global scale. Maybe it's just me. But that seems like it's got a really good punchline somewhere in it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57625 on: January 20, 2013, 04:29:13 pm »

You can talk about what terms to use,
Yes. We can, and we should, because talking about the U.S. as if it is a laissez faire state is blatantly misleading.

but we're screwed comparatively is the point.
Why? What do you have to prove that we're "screwed"? The U.S. eventually plateaued in terms of economic potential, China will as well, and likely before surpassing the U.S. That aside, why would having a second economic superpower be a wholly bad thing?

Also I assure you, China's about the most communist you're gonna get. If they call Obama a communist, then China's a million times that.
I dearly hope you're joking. Even back under Mao China wasn't exactly a model of party-line Marxism, and these days it's more of a bizarre sort of mixed-economy totalitarian state that has eased back a bit after figuring out that holding the leash too tightly just screws things up. Also, as noted, Cuba. And the only people that genuinely see Obama as a communist (rather than using the term as propaganda) are the people that also think that the aliens are watching them and that airliner contrails are chemical weapons.

Thinking on it, there's... something innately hilarious(ly hypocritical) about a(n ostensibly) capitalistic society seeming to be afraid of competition on the global scale. Maybe it's just me. But that seems like it's got a really good punchline somewhere in it.
It's because, lip service aside, capitalism has always been about the haves excusing their double-fisted grabbing of more. When you're raking in money it's only natural that you don't want anyone else butting in.

3. Run Resize Enable

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #57626 on: January 20, 2013, 04:48:52 pm »

I was browsing TV Tropes earlier today, and stumbled upon the American Accents page, which is pretty good, considering it wasn't written by linguists and is, you know, on TV Tropes.

The only thing that struck me was that it listed Luso, a New England dialect spoken by the descendents of Portuguese settlers, which I had never heard of, and which a Google search doesn't turn up much for. Does it actually exist? Is it merely a hoax? (If it is merely a hoax, I am going to invent a set of sound changes for so-called Luso and start affecting it.)

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #57627 on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:10 pm »

Welp time for me to bring actually depressing and sad events into the sad thread again, it seems a close friend of mine has started cutting himself. He apparently ran around telling multiple girls who were in our friend group he was doing it, showing them his cuts and saying he was contemplating suicide. Didn't find out about it until one of them told me. Not entirely sure how to feel about this, since it's kind of odd he went up to a bunch of women he didn't really even know that well and told them. Guess I'll be helping him with that then for the next few months, since I know he doesn't really have that many people to help him out.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57628 on: January 21, 2013, 10:33:31 am »

This might be completely wrong but that could be a grab for attention or something? Since the whole telling girls thing kinda points to that, or something. I'm not terribly good at practical applications of social interaction, mostly because it deeply clashes with what I consider to be logical and rational as an obvious choice in social interaction, something most people have the other way around but feh.

Anyways, sad time, exams are next week, the make or break ones, and I feel rather burnt out, not that I put in a huge amount of time into studying but it's enough to make me feel like I know pretty much everything kind of vaguely but when asked something specific I either miss or stall halfway trough a definition. The weather and again borked sleeping schedule aren't helping that :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57629 on: January 21, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »

This might be completely wrong but that could be a grab for attention or something? Since the whole telling girls thing kinda points to that, or something. I'm not terribly good at practical applications of social interaction, mostly because it deeply clashes with what I consider to be logical and rational as an obvious choice in social interaction, something most people have the other way around but feh.

That's certainly what it sounds like. Granted, I'm not the most socially adept individual either, but it seems to fit the circumstances.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 3840 3841 [3842] 3843 3844 ... 8167