Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3778 3779 [3780] 3781 3782 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9460189 times)

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56685 on: December 19, 2012, 01:28:53 pm »

First off, how can can you not think a human being human centric is wrong? That's just. Is. It's not hubris.

Secondly yeah. If there is a alien lifeform that thinks on some whole other level then us and is upset by things that we don't care about, I am sure I will care more about those things impacting the alien then I do about them impacting us.
First off, because that assumes we're the most important thing in the universe.  We're not.  We're just another inhabitant.  So I believe. 

Secondly, that's not the point I was making.  I'm saying that if some people believe it's okay to draw a line between humans and animals (therefore allowing us to put thier suffering as lower than our own/test on them/eat them/etc.), then those people have to be okay with the idea that some other life (which is sufficiently more advanced than humanity) in the universe can draw a line between themselves and humanity (therefore allowing said other life to put human suffering as lower than their own/test on humans/eat humans/etc.). 

If you believe there's a distinction that separates humans and animals and places us above them, then I would argue that you also have to accept that there could be a distinction between some other possible advanced life and humans, which would place us below them. 

so then instead of my regular kicks i need to do flying kicks now?
I believe the accepted standard on bay12 would require flying facebeakpunches.

You and me ain't nuttin' but mammals, baby.

So lets do it like they do it on Discovery Channel?
So we're going to make lots of shows that are essentially copies of each other?  O_o

I'll try and re-rail us here for a moment.  I'm rather upset that I apparently broke my favorite bowl in my sleep this week.  Now I'm not allowed to handle anything that can spill, the stove, the oven, *or* anything that could break at night. 

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56686 on: December 19, 2012, 01:37:51 pm »

First off, because that assumes we're the most important thing in the universe.  We're not.  We're just another inhabitant.  So I believe.
Until such a day that we know we aren't alone, we might as well be number one.
Secondly, that's not the point I was making.  I'm saying that if some people believe it's okay to draw a line between humans and animals (therefore allowing us to put thier suffering as lower than our own/test on them/eat them/etc.), then those people have to be okay with the idea that some other life (which is sufficiently more advanced than humanity) in the universe can draw a line between themselves and humanity (therefore allowing said other life to put human suffering as lower than their own/test on humans/eat humans/etc.). 

If you believe there's a distinction that separates humans and animals and places us above them, then I would argue that you also have to accept that there could be a distinction between some other possible advanced life and humans, which would place us below them.
Problem is that you're arguing a completely unanswerable hypothetical here. How could a species be to humans as humans are to non-sapient life? Well, by definition we can't even imagine it. The point is useless.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56687 on: December 19, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »

First off, how can can you not think a human being human centric is wrong? That's just. Is. It's not hubris.

Secondly yeah. If there is a alien lifeform that thinks on some whole other level then us and is upset by things that we don't care about, I am sure I will care more about those things impacting the alien then I do about them impacting us.

That's like saying you shouldn't be nationalistic because there might be another nation which will be better, and you will recognize that and submit to them.
Most people think humans are the most important lifeform here because they are human. Not because of whatever defines mankind. That would make no sense to me, at least.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #56688 on: December 19, 2012, 02:02:57 pm »

I do think one day we may meet our equals.  Look at our genes.  Our impatience.  Our biological desires and oft lazy and addictive ways.
  We are omnivores.  We eat things to survive.  Plants.  Animals.  Part of eating living things is being okay with causing them pain.  In the cause of the chicken, yea maybe its a little to profit-driven and causing undue pain.  But to say they're our equal is incorrect.  Several religions practice this, and good on them.  One thing  I truely admire about them is that they don't post about it or flaunt it.  They believe all life is important, and resolve not to take it.  Then they leave the rest of us to figure wisedom out for ourselves. 

Anywho, as long as we eat them, their suffering is ensured.  I'm not going to stop eating them.  Its nature to eat them.  But you don't if you don't want to, just be aware a long as you tell me not to eat them, I'll keep telling you to eat them.  Except pork.  Pork I don't eat.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56689 on: December 19, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »

But bacon. D:
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56690 on: December 19, 2012, 02:08:46 pm »

I'm going to be so glad when vat-grown meat takes off and we never have to have these discussions again.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #56691 on: December 19, 2012, 02:10:04 pm »

I'd like myself some vat-grown human meat.

And there will always be fundies and other happy people who won't want that :/

edit: animal meat is what I mean here..
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:25:42 pm by Dutchling »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56692 on: December 19, 2012, 02:30:38 pm »

I'm going to be so glad when vat-grown meat takes off and we never have to have these discussions again.
Agreed :)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56693 on: December 19, 2012, 02:35:39 pm »

Hear hear. If someone can get the taste and texture to actually, genuinely, match with meat, I don't really give a fribbly what the blazes sort of non-meat it's made of.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56694 on: December 19, 2012, 02:36:59 pm »

Hear hear. If someone can get the taste and texture to actually, genuinely, match with meat, I don't really give a fribbly what the blazes sort of non-meat it's made of.
Are you willing to back up that claim?
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #56695 on: December 19, 2012, 02:42:05 pm »

When your own article says "This could be a hoax", you should rethink your example, Kaijyuu.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56696 on: December 19, 2012, 02:42:48 pm »

If you can't tell the difference, you can't tell the difference. Processed in the lab isn't really that big of a change from processed through a plant that was processed through a cow. Did talk like there's still issues with it, though (contamination was mentioned, so... yeah.). But if the technology/methodology improves...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56697 on: December 19, 2012, 02:49:39 pm »

The problem I see with using human excrement as the base of our own food products is that it has already been digested by humans once. This means much of the nutrients have already been lost, and the rest is un-digestable filler. Even if all the concentrated toxins are removed, eating bacteria that grow in the shit makes the shit burger concept completely invalid because you can just breed the bacteria, isolate them, and eat them in a more concentrated form.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 02:53:17 pm by Lagslayer »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56698 on: December 19, 2012, 02:54:22 pm »

Aye, entropy will eventually render it nutrient-less after a few cycles, but there's still a lot of unused stuff in there :P

Recycling~

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56699 on: December 19, 2012, 02:55:33 pm »

Rabbits do it automatically.

Therefore, eat rabbit.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 3778 3779 [3780] 3781 3782 ... 8167