Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3756 3757 [3758] 3759 3760 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9469436 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56355 on: December 14, 2012, 04:21:57 pm »

Someone who does it because he CAN.
Some people just want to watch the world burn.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #56356 on: December 14, 2012, 04:22:50 pm »

I can't find the "satan is in my food processor" link that was in the WTF thread  :'(

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56357 on: December 14, 2012, 04:24:24 pm »

Someone who does it because he CAN.
Some people just want to watch the world burn.
Dude, on days like this I halfway think it should:-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #56358 on: December 14, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

http://www.rttnews.com/2024044/obesity-is-a-bigger-problem-globally-than-hunger.aspx?type=hnr

I honestly understand that there are certain people who are just going to be overweight, because they've always been overweight. Their parents are overweight; their grandparents were overweight, and so on down the family tree.  However, it's largely lack of emotional fulfillment.

Meanwhile the portion of the world that is starving and especially the people in the food kitchens are probably completely unable to comprehend how this could be so, and I can't blame them.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

ashes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56359 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:00 pm »

just...  :(

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56360 on: December 14, 2012, 07:53:52 pm »

Yeah, the continued existence of emoticons depresses me too.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56361 on: December 14, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »

Yeah, the continued existence of emoticons depresses me too.
* Descan slaps.

:C :C :C :C
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

ashes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56362 on: December 14, 2012, 08:04:04 pm »

never mind...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:09:14 pm by ashes »

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56363 on: December 14, 2012, 08:14:08 pm »

Sorry, man, I realize now that that was a pretty dickish way to respond.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

ashes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56364 on: December 14, 2012, 08:20:24 pm »

I didn't mind. Actually it kind of made me laugh.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 08:28:23 pm by ashes »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56365 on: December 14, 2012, 09:35:32 pm »

http://www.rttnews.com/2024044/obesity-is-a-bigger-problem-globally-than-hunger.aspx?type=hnr

I honestly understand that there are certain people who are just going to be overweight, because they've always been overweight. Their parents are overweight; their grandparents were overweight, and so on down the family tree.  However, it's largely lack of emotional fulfillment.

Meanwhile the portion of the world that is starving and especially the people in the food kitchens are probably completely unable to comprehend how this could be so, and I can't blame them.
The cheapness and abundance of fattening junk food is probably a big issue contributing to this. It's cheaper to get food that's stuffed full of fats and sugars than it is food that isn't, and sugar and such gets added onto foods that really don't need it all the time because it's a way of cutting costs. It can be pretty damn expensive and difficult to eat healthy in this day and age, especially in America.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56366 on: December 14, 2012, 10:23:55 pm »

I'm pretty sure starvation is still the #1 cause of death globally.  It helps that hunger and obesity are not necessarily mutually exclusive.  A person can be fat and malnourished.  Also, eating less food isn't going to help hungry people.  I don't think there are many places where there's not enough food to go around.  People starve because they literally have zero funding to gain access to the food that's available and going to waste, and in developed countries, cheap food tends to be fattening but not nourishing.

My sad - gushing over The Hobbit opening and the highest body count school shooting in recent memory both on the same day = a miserable day to be on the internet.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
« Reply #56367 on: December 14, 2012, 11:04:58 pm »

My relationship.

I'm upset because she gets angry.
She's angry because I get upset.

Endless cycle of misery.

This is how it always goes. Wonder when it's just going to stop.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56368 on: December 14, 2012, 11:13:53 pm »

My point is that it's comparign Fucking Apples to Oranges. Yes, Circumcision is bad, NO, it is not on the same scale as female genital mutilation. I've never even heard of that view point before, hence teh rage.
He's a source
http://www.guardian.co.uk/theobserver/2012/jul/29/the-big-issue-male-circumcision
And here's some highlights from Wikiepedia
FGM is considered by its practitioners to be an essential part of raising a girl properly—girls are regarded as having been cleansed by the removal of "male" body parts. It ensures pre-marital virginity and inhibits extra-marital sex, because it reduces women's libido. Women fear the pain of re-opening the vagina, and are afraid of being discovered if it is opened illicitly.
Judaism requires circumcision for boys, but does not allow it for girls.[23] Islamic scholars have said that, while male circumcision is a sunna, or religious obligation, female genital modification is not required, and several have issued a fatwa against Type III FGM
According to Amnesty, in certain societies women who have not had the procedure are regarded as too unclean to handle food and water, and there is a belief that a woman's genitals might continue to grow without FGM, until they dangle between her legs. Some groups see the clitoris as dangerous, capable of killing a man if his penis touches it, or a baby if the head comes into contact with it during birth, though Amnesty cautions that ideas about the power of the clitoris can be found elsewhere.[28] Gynaecologists in England and the United States would remove it during the 19th century to "cure" insanity, masturbation, and nymphomania.[29] The first reported clitoridectomy in the West was carried out in 1822 by a surgeon in Berlin on a teenage girl regarded as an "imbecile" who was masturbating.

Not. The. Same. It's done on PUBESCENTS in many places. It's a actual CRIME in the US, and Britain, mind you. It was even groudns for allowing Political Asylum on grounds of persecution. Comparitevely, FGM is extensive surgery, you can remove the Fore-skin simply by tying a damn string around it for three days. It isn't at all about parental rights or religion. It is a women's issue. It is done for the purpose of dogmatic patriarchalism. "She won't cheat if I cut it off!" Is what it boils down to.

FGM is worse because it's illegal? Guess what, female circumcision was only made illegal in America in 1996. It was even covered by the Blue Cross until 1977.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvX5J7lAv4g
https://sites.google.com/site/completebaby/female
http://www.historyofcircumcision.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=68
http://rachelrabbitwhite.com/female-circumcision-promoted-in-playgirl-whaaat/

moocowmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56369 on: December 14, 2012, 11:19:34 pm »

And to the guy that said surgery on infant is safer than surgery on adult, how in the world do you figure that? An infant has like 10 oz of blood. The infant cannot be rendered unconscious and is thus struggling against restraints. The infant penis is way smaller and therefore it is easier to make a mistake. Also the foreskin is adhered to the glans on children... it must be ripped off of the glans before they cut it off. How do you figure this is safer than circumcising an adult?

And before people say 'derail', I'm sad today to learn that on Wednesday the German government passed a law protecting circumcision, going against the court ruling earlier this year that ruled it bodily assault.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:40:30 pm by moocowmoo »
Pages: 1 ... 3756 3757 [3758] 3759 3760 ... 8167