Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3739 3740 [3741] 3742 3743 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471727 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56100 on: December 08, 2012, 12:44:46 pm »

If you lie down there, you have a good chance of surviving, allthough you'll be covered in muck, crap, and dirt.
Sauce on this please?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56101 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »

Sure you didn't see that story on House? :P

Point is, he can't be expected to do that. He can't even be expected to know that it's possible. Do you really think you would tackle man into the inbetween? I don't. I know I wouldn't. It's just a fantasy. It's going "what if" from the calm of your own home.
Love, scriver~

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56102 on: December 08, 2012, 01:34:31 pm »

If the man was able to stand and try to climb out for 20 seconds, and that appears to be what happened by the accounts that I heard... Then two men could have grabbed his arms and pulled him out of harms way, that might take 5 seconds or so.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #56103 on: December 08, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »

If there's a train coming at them, I imagine you wouldn't even need two people to pull him out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56104 on: December 08, 2012, 01:44:36 pm »

Let me google that for you Loud Whispers.

It's actually not all that uncommon a sight. The most famous, the one I mentioned, managing to have a wikipedia article about him

Something like 140 are struck every year, with 40 deaths each.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56105 on: December 08, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

I have to write a ten page (yeah, I know, it's not that long, shush) research report on Shakespeare.

Did you know that when you apply the humorologist idea of imbalance causing disease to the natural order, it becomes clear that Lady Macbeth's insanity and suicide was a manifestation of the violations of nature she and her husband committed through his regicide and her rejection of contemporary feminine virtue?  Now you do, welcome to my Vietnam.
Shoes...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56106 on: December 08, 2012, 01:57:20 pm »

If the man was able to stand and try to climb out for 20 seconds, and that appears to be what happened by the accounts that I heard... Then two men could have grabbed his arms and pulled him out of harms way, that might take 5 seconds or so.

If that was how it was, then yeah, I agree. The article didn't say mug about it (I guess because that wasn't really what it was about).
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56107 on: December 08, 2012, 02:10:48 pm »

Let me google that for you Loud Whispers.
>:|
You had the chance to show some extra knowledge to a random bystander on the internets, and instead you chose to be incredibly rude and condescending. Lmgtfy is used to sarcastically show how easy it is to get information for really damn obvious things.
Then you use it to type in a string of key words that no one would immediately go for without prior knowledge. Or being very American. Not to mention defeating the entire point of sauce.
Misko, I am disappoint.
"Delays resulting from a person jumping or falling in front of a train as it pulls into a station are announced as an "unfortunate delay", "passenger action", "customer incident" or "a person under a train", and are referred to by staff as a "one under".
They also announce it on all the big stations because it usually causes delays on the entire line. It used to be pretty common. Cows on the track has happened to me once.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #56108 on: December 08, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »

I have a very sad Jew friend. Sad because being the only Jew in your family kinda means the rest of your family doesn't celebrate Hanukkah.... That's gotta be rough. Additional the Significant Other, really doesn't either so.... That's also rough.

I don't think there are a whole lotta Jews around here to sorta pull off a holiday hookup for said friend either so.... I dunno.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56109 on: December 08, 2012, 09:24:37 pm »

Just because you aren't Jewish doesn't mean you can't celebrate with him.
That's like saying you need to be...
Something to do something!
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #56110 on: December 08, 2012, 10:23:56 pm »

Yeah, but I don't think it's the same. I know very little about it. I get that somehow there was some lamp oil that burned way longer than it was expected to and perhaps also some Jewish Army that won a very old battle when outnumbered. (I apologize for knowing next to nothing about the Jewish Faith). 

What I'm trying and very possibly failing to get at here, is that I would screw something up out of ignorance. I suppose it would be like not knowing anything else about Christmas than there being a tree but trying to celebrate it.

That said, I'm totally hanging out with her and trying to more or less flub my way through it without doing anything too stupid, but still. I'm almost certainly going to make some stupid mistake, probably akin to saying ... I dunno ... Rudolf the Red-nose Reindeer looks tasty or something equally dumb on my part.

I'm going to make an ass of myself while trying my very best not to do that is what I'm saying here....

There's a very lonely Jew that I'm trying make not lonely, but I'm afraid I'm gonna screw that up in spite of my really trying not to screw it up....
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 10:26:57 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #56111 on: December 08, 2012, 11:22:26 pm »

When my friend has Eid, I usually buy him a present (but that's about it) :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56112 on: December 09, 2012, 12:26:40 am »

I think Hanukkah is about the Maccabean revolt.  The Romans were besieging the temple or something and they only had enough lamp oil for like a day, but it burned for like eight and something something something.

Do you need to celebrate Hanukkah with him though?  Why not just hang out with him?
Shoes...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56113 on: December 09, 2012, 12:31:10 am »

Yeah, but I don't think it's the same. I know very little about it. I get that somehow there was some lamp oil that burned way longer than it was expected to and perhaps also some Jewish Army that won a very old battle when outnumbered. (I apologize for knowing next to nothing about the Jewish Faith). 

What I'm trying and very possibly failing to get at here, is that I would screw something up out of ignorance. I suppose it would be like not knowing anything else about Christmas than there being a tree but trying to celebrate it.

That said, I'm totally hanging out with her and trying to more or less flub my way through it without doing anything too stupid, but still. I'm almost certainly going to make some stupid mistake, probably akin to saying ... I dunno ... Rudolf the Red-nose Reindeer looks tasty or something equally dumb on my part.

I'm going to make an ass of myself while trying my very best not to do that is what I'm saying here....

There's a very lonely Jew that I'm trying make not lonely, but I'm afraid I'm gonna screw that up in spite of my really trying not to screw it up....
The very best thing to do in this situation would be to misinterpret the situation horribly and hilariously.
Truean and a friend burst into the Jewish friend's apartment, dressed in Spartan military gear.
Friend:"Sir, we're running out of lamp oil!"
Truean:"This should not be a problem. Let the people sleep soundly."
Friend:"But the city is being surrounded by soldiers, and it will be dark soon! What do we do?"
Truean:"The lamps are dim, and hopes are dimmer, but this Hannukah, WE WILL FIGHT IN THE SHADE!"

* MaximumZero is chased out of the thread.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56114 on: December 09, 2012, 06:36:46 am »

This is actually how my family celebrates Christmas.  But then again, we're not exactly Christian.

I think the fact that you're trying, and that you're making an effort to keep her company and make her feel good means a whole lot more than you knowing every little detail about the rituals and ceremonies and whatnot and all about the thousands-of-years-old wildly exaggerated events that supposedly took place that spawned the holiday.

In fact, the point that you are so clueless and uncomfortable about it should make it mean all that much more that you're still trying.

Also, you may want to let her know at some point how you feel about her.
Pages: 1 ... 3739 3740 [3741] 3742 3743 ... 8167