Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3734 3735 [3736] 3737 3738 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9467367 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #56025 on: December 06, 2012, 10:13:58 am »

In the last 3 years I've been on a mission to make myself into more of a 'good person'.

I can't really say for sure if I've become 'good'. More open and honest, definitely.
But it did make me an unfit introvert with no motivation or prospects.
I've never been 'friend zoned' in my life until just a while ago. Is this what not being a manipulative bastard gets?
Yep.  :)

But, its more satisfying that way.

What's a 'good' person?  The ideal good person spends his whole life attaining that reputation and the moral fiber of such.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56026 on: December 06, 2012, 10:16:31 am »

I don't think so, being coy about it you're more likely to build up some unrealistic scenario, then when you make a move and she's not interested, you get blown away.

For a manipulative bastard, it's a numbers game - hit on each girl, hit on her early, hit on her hard. If she's not into it, don't get upset, move on to the next girl.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56027 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:47 am »

Well, that, and it also allows you to make yourself up for whatever the situation may demand.  Being honest and having principles will kinda screw up your chances in that sense.

But there are, truly and honestly, people out there who appreciate having a "good" person.  They just need to be able to find said "good" person in order to appreciate them.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #56028 on: December 06, 2012, 11:06:59 am »

Just finished listening to the new Soundgarden album for the first time.  Fuck.  That was depressing.  I'll... just leave it at that.    :-\
Oh dear....I was thinking of getting that for Xmas.
Depressing as in "They made a really bleak album" or depressing as in "These guys shouldn't have gotten back together"?

I've long been a Chris Cornell fan (I spent many an hour in my dorm room singing along with Superunknown).

Right now there are only two things I can really comment on.  I've only listened through it once, and sometimes music takes time to grow on me.

Lyrics:  Superunknown and Down on the Upside, my two favorites, both had very philosophical but accessible lyrics.  They dealt in a lot of abstracts, but you could still get what they were trying to convey.  King Animal... I don't know... it felt like maybe they were trying to be too abstract?  I could tell that a couple songs were about facing the prospect of aging, and I think the general theme of the album is facing the harsh objectivity of the natural world.  You're an animal, but mastery of yourself makes you a "King Animal".  But honestly that's just a vaguely received notion from the thing as a whole.  From song to song, I had no idea what they were really saying.

Bravado:  They didn't have it. 

Chris Cornell didn't blast it out like he used to.  This perplexes me, because I know he can still do it.  I saw him live just a few years ago, performing mostly old Soundgarden stuff and sounding exactly like he did in the 90s.  There was a point in his performance where his mic cut out in the middle of a song.  For a second I could see him still singing, but couldn't hear him.  Then... I could hear him... but not through the speakers.  He just upped his projection, and by the power of his own voice sang so loud that I could hear him clearly from the lawn over a couple thousand screaming people for 10-15 seconds, until the mic picked back up and I was hearing him through the speakers again.  He still has a goddamn powerful voice.  It's actually improved since he gave up drinking.  He just didn't use it on this album.  He never hits a high note or even screams out a mid-range.  Through most of it, he used that scratchy, weathered voice that you started hearing him use with Audioslave.  He ditches it and sings crystal clear on the very last track of the album.  I don't get it.

That last track is pretty good, too.  It's the only one that really stood out to me.

And I'm used to Kim Thayil putting out instantly memorable riffs and guitar solos.  He has some songs, like Tighter & Tighter or The Day I Tried to Live, whose first few notes are so iconic I instantly melt when I hear them.  I didn't hear anything like that on this album.  There weren't any guitar solos that I recall.  I just don't get it.

One thing I noticed is that the few demo versions that I listened to sounded better than the final songs.  I think overproduction may have hurt the album, and toned everything down... but that doesn't nearly account for everything.

But... like I said... those are my impressions after one listen.  I'll probably pick up on subtleties over time that will give me different ways to appreciate the music, but they definitely didn't put out the signature qualities that made them so instantly recognizable and impressive way back when.  It's depressing.  I miss them so much.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 11:09:08 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56029 on: December 06, 2012, 11:52:17 am »

That's unfortunate. Cornell's distinctive voice was always one of the things that drew me to him. (Doesn't hurt that in college I physically looked somewhere between Chris Cornell and Steve Buscemi in the "haunted-eyed, dark-haired, possible-drug-addict" department). I could always do a pretty close impression of his singing voice, except for the high notes. I could nail most of the work he did with Temple of the Dog.

I'll have to give it a listen online and see what I think.

EDIT:
In tangentially related sad, I finally pieced the remnants of my old computer back into a brand new case, hooked everything up, hit the power button, and.....WELL, FUCK.

Power supply's working, motherboard is getting power, system fans are running....and not much else. Thought I heard the HDDs accessing a little bit. No video signal at all -- not entirely surprised given that the video card's mounting bracket was bent all to fuck. DVD drive sits there and keep ejecting and retracting the tray, with a nasty, grindy sound. So that's definitely shot.

No biggie to replace the DVD drive, I probably have a few spares somewhere in the shed. Video card....well, I have a spare Radeon floating around somewhere but that's a major step backward from the GeForce 6400 I had in there. I also have a spare GeForce 6400 sitting in the shed, but IIRC it's in the shed because it wasn't working right. Guess I'll grab the pair of vid cards and a spare DVD drive and see what can be done. If I can just get to a BIOS screen, I'll have a better assessment of what's trashed and what's not.

If I can't get it up and running at all....*sigh*
I don't have the money to buy a new system. Guess I'll be finding new ways to spend the free time that I suddenly have more of.  :(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 01:20:14 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56030 on: December 06, 2012, 03:09:07 pm »

A job opened up in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii... and I can't even consider applying because I would never be able to transport my parents and all their crap over there.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #56031 on: December 06, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »

Find work that covers housing, leave them where they're at, send food money, and go elsewhere? Alternately leave the crap behind.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56032 on: December 06, 2012, 09:47:04 pm »

A job opened up in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii... and I can't even consider applying because I would never be able to transport my parents and all their crap over there.
Tell them, "Look, I have to take this job. I'm being relocated. I'm sorry, but it means I can no longer support you, as the cost of living in Hawaii is astronomical, and will chew up all my wealth." Cry about it. Make a scene. Then laugh all the way to the beach.

Also: I'm starting to think I should be exempted from the training we have to do every month. In the past six months, I have learned absolutely nothing of value from our e-learning. OfficeJet printers are good for small businesses? No shit!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:50:26 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #56033 on: December 06, 2012, 10:13:37 pm »

I am gripped by malaaaaise.

It must be seasonal affective disorder or something, I need to start walking Roxy again.
Shoes...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #56034 on: December 06, 2012, 10:43:27 pm »

Tell them, "Look, I have to take this job. I'm being relocated. I'm sorry, but it means I can no longer support you, as the cost of living in Hawaii is astronomical, and will chew up all my wealth." Cry about it. Make a scene. Then laugh all the way to the beach.

Its to bad I only play an asshole on the internet. lol

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56035 on: December 06, 2012, 11:00:10 pm »

Do a little cost-benefit analysis. If you can set them up without their stuff for a time, stow things in a storage unit and ship them over bit by bit, etc. it might work?

Guess it depends on how the new position stacks up to the old one.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56036 on: December 06, 2012, 11:10:44 pm »

For some reason today I just feel depressed. Somebody whipped my eye for some reason, and that just made it worse. I was then the laughing stock of the P.E class until somebody figured out the screaming kid writhing in agony isn't kidding and told them to knock it off. They didn't, and then made jokes out it. Then I think "hey, you are a spoiled brat. Be happy. Think about the kids in Africa, selfish jerk." and feel even more depressed.

Please let this be a one time thing. I feel like a selfish jerk for feeling sad. Which makes me sad. Gah.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56037 on: December 06, 2012, 11:23:15 pm »

There's no sense in feeling bad for feeling bad. That's a self-sustaining feedback loop of crappiness. If it's how you feel, it's how you feel. As for the "Kids in Africa" bit, makes more sense to be thankful for what you have than to feel guilty for it. Recognize the nice things in your life. Feeling bad about it doesn't help change conditions in the third world, and it certainly doesn't help you.

I know depression is a different case, but generally speaking the purpose of feeling bad is to encourage you to make choices that are different in the future. When something's making you feel crappy, do your best to use that to drive positive change in your life. If you're feeling bad about something you can't do anything to change, try to direct that energy toward improving something else in your life or the lives of those around you. At the very least try to let it go. It doesn't serve you, nor does it serve the rest of the world.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #56038 on: December 06, 2012, 11:28:53 pm »

I looked at some of my old forum posts from years back out of nostalgia on a few websites I used to regular, holy fuck why did I do this. I don't know whether to be sad over how stupid I used to be, or be sad over how I won't be able to realize how stupid I am now until a few years later.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #56039 on: December 06, 2012, 11:30:03 pm »

I looked at some of my old forum posts from years back out of nostalgia on a few websites I used to regular, holy fuck why did I do this. I don't know whether to be sad over how stupid I used to be, or be sad over how I won't be able to realize how stupid I am now until a few years later.
No, you shoudl be happy you've come so far that you can recognize it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 3734 3735 [3736] 3737 3738 ... 8167