Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3685 3686 [3687] 3688 3689 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446905 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #55290 on: November 12, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »

On the topic of religion, I recently recognized myself as an Apatheist, which is just a fancy word for not caring about any matter religious or specifically non-religious.

So there's that.

'Tis called agnosticism. Sit on the fence with me, brother :)

I would argue it's a form of atheism.

Wait, I'm getting deja vu here.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55291 on: November 12, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »

On the topic of religion, I recently recognized myself as an Apatheist, which is just a fancy word for not caring about any matter religious or specifically non-religious.

So there's that.
Yay for not giving a shit!

Well, not precisely not giving a shit, but I find myself agreeing with the wiki article on alot of points at the very least:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
Was mostly kidding. But hey, now I have a better way to define my beliefs, pragmatic agnosticism sounds a lot better than not giving a shit.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55292 on: November 12, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »

So there's that.
Yay for not giving a shit!

Well, not precisely not giving a shit, but I find myself agreeing with the wiki article on alot of points at the very least:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apatheism
Finally!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #55293 on: November 12, 2012, 04:19:30 pm »

Quote from: apatheism article
also known as pragmatic atheism or (critically) as practical atheism

i rest my case

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55294 on: November 12, 2012, 04:25:05 pm »

Religion threads have an estimated lifetime of  betweent 2-50 pages. So feel free to try.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55295 on: November 12, 2012, 04:32:36 pm »

Functionally identical. And the logical conclusion of not being sure and realizing you're unable to satisfactorily resolve it is, of course, not giving a shit.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55296 on: November 12, 2012, 04:35:40 pm »

I think I've officially decided that I hate it here. There's nothing to do, it's cold as fuck, I'm sick all the time, I'm tired all the time, my roommate is my roommate, I don't relate to anyone, and I just don't have anything approaching a life.

I am so sick of these base pleasure obsessed, frequently bigoted, noisy, shallow assholes I am around constantly. My roommate may be an exceptional case, but pretty much everyone else around here only seems to care about sex and drugs as well.

These next three and a half years are going to be a trial, I think.

You could try to find a club or something but finding people you get along with can be a trial depending on your personality. At least it sounds as if your roommate is on the up and up. Maybe they can introduce you to their friends if they have any?
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #55297 on: November 12, 2012, 04:38:16 pm »

Functionally identical. And the logical conclusion of not being sure and realizing you're unable to satisfactorily resolve it is, of course, not giving a shit.
No, no it's not. It's the difference between "My math homework was to hard" and "I didn't bother."
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55298 on: November 12, 2012, 04:39:01 pm »

I don't give a shit about anything!

does that mean I don't know about anything?
You act functionally identically to someone who doesn't know anything, provided you actually care about nothing.

I've yet to meet a true nihilist. Mostly because a true nihilist wouldn't place any value in meeting or conversing with me.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55299 on: November 12, 2012, 04:42:10 pm »

I don't give a shit about anything!

does that mean I don't know about anything?
You act functionally identically to someone who doesn't know anything, provided you actually care about nothing.

I've yet to meet a true nihilist. Mostly because a true nihilist wouldn't place any value in meeting or conversing with me.
NO, it's still not. To be agnostic concedes that the beyond is unknowable, while not giving a shit is not caring to find out either way.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55300 on: November 12, 2012, 04:42:43 pm »

No one ever gets nihilism. Nihilism isn't some cynical "universe is bleak and uncaring, let us die already" philosophy. Nihilism is the idea that something we take for granted may not objectively exist. This can be applied to everything from morality ("What if right and wrong aren't defined by the universe?") to reality ("What if nothing actually exists and everything we think we think is a metaphysical hallucination?").

And just as an aside: Everyone who claims to be a moral relativist is by definition a nihilist.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55301 on: November 12, 2012, 04:45:45 pm »

NO, it's still not. To be agnostic concedes that the beyond is unknowable, while not giving a shit is not caring to find out either way.
I'm not saying they're completely identical, just functionally. You can have two separate concepts that result in the same outcome.

No one ever gets nihilism. Nihilism isn't some cynical "universe is bleak and uncaring, let us die already" philosophy. Nihilism is the idea that something we take for granted may not objectively exist. This can be applied to everything from morality ("What if right and wrong aren't defined by the universe?") to reality ("What if nothing actually exists and everything we think we think is a metaphysical hallucination?").

And just as an aside: Everyone who claims to be a moral relativist is by definition a nihilist.
My understanding is that nihilism rejects objective value, while existentialism is the one that adds subjective value.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55302 on: November 12, 2012, 04:46:30 pm »

Apatheists strike me as being those people who mass convert to catholicism when on their death-bed.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55303 on: November 12, 2012, 04:47:14 pm »

Hello!

Actually, the way I see it, nihilism is the logical consequence of atheism. Therefore, being myself an atheist, the term nihilist should also be appropriate when referring to me.

However, atheism/nihilism has a severe problem in practicability: without values, you can't make decisions. It is outright impossible, as each decision consists of weighing the value of the options at hand. And not making a decision is also a decision in itself. Thus, as long as you are a human, you can not live in a genuine atheist/nihilist way, as such a way is incompatible with your own existence.

Yours,
Deathworks

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55304 on: November 12, 2012, 04:48:26 pm »

My understanding is that nihilism rejects objective value, while existentialism is the one that adds subjective value.
You can't reject objective value without recognizing subjective value. To reject both would be a null philosophy.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 3685 3686 [3687] 3688 3689 ... 8167