Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3627 3628 [3629] 3630 3631 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466478 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #54420 on: October 18, 2012, 09:06:43 pm »

It's difficult to not come to the conclusion that smart kids don't have sex in Grade 7 and what the fuck aaah. Please don't do this.
Yes, they do. A lot of them do. Personally, every 12 year old I know in my group would be capable of informed consent. They all know the risks, they all know the benefits, and they wouldn't be doing it because it's forbidden knowledge (which a lot of kids do) because it's really not. In my group pretty much everyone when through good sex ed at 11 or 12, and there a course every year for it. It's actual facts to about it, not the "don't ever do it or you will become a failure and get STDs and be addicted to pot the first time" crap you get in "normal school".
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54421 on: October 18, 2012, 09:07:30 pm »

GoombaGeek so naive. :P

Seriously, 13-14 is not uncommon for experimenting, if not outright sex (1 in 10 will have had outright sex by the time they are 14, which means, in an average class, 2.5 of your classmates). I mean, it's not SUPER common either, but not uncommon. Average age is 16 (in the US, 17 worldwide supposedly) - this means that roughly half the population has sex before then - actually, since there's a lot more "after then" than "before then", it's likely well more than half.

I'm not saying this is a particulaly good idea, mind you. But 1 in 10 means that your school is seeing a LOT of sex - it's doubtful they would be that much of an outlier.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54422 on: October 18, 2012, 10:15:53 pm »

I got not one but two take at home mid-terms for the weekend... one is online the other is a series of seperate but loosely connected essays that must cite each other as well as other sources...

Should I laugh, be happy, or be sad?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54423 on: October 18, 2012, 10:19:03 pm »

Laugh, fell and terrible. Or however that goes.

Without specifics, that doesn't sound too bad. Would depend on the format of the online test and the standards on the essays, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54424 on: October 18, 2012, 10:20:19 pm »

GoombaGeek so naive. :P
Indeed :P

Fuck I remember having fantasies about my second grade teacher :P Naive ones where I still hadn't the slightest idea what all those tingly sensations were, but still.

If you want to put forth an argument that kids should abstain at that age, I'd suggest doing so after you get past the "AHH WHAT THE FUCK" thing and start looking at these things logically. Solidify in your mind what the problem is, and what is necessary to resolve it. Vague stuff like "what the fuck I don't even" is not really communicating what you think, and circular arguments like "kids that age shouldn't be doing it because it's bad, and it's bad because kids that age shouldn't be doing it" is another pitfall to avoid.

I have quite a bit to say on the subject of sexual repression and this is just part of it. Coming to terms with sexuality is part of puberty. Sheltering kids just makes them ignorant while telling them "no don't do it because it's bad" just encourages them. Combine those two and you've got our issues with STDs and teenage pregnancy. I really like the concept of sex ed despite it being horribly botched so far (at least in the US; dunno about elsewhere), and I think it should be expanded and taught at a younger age.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54425 on: October 18, 2012, 10:33:11 pm »

Indeed. It's flat ridiculous to try and 'protect' kids from sex. All that does is make them want it. Just like censorship makes kids want to cuss and scare tactics about drugs makes them want to get high. If you treated them like reasonable beings instead of idiots, it might do some good. Children aren't fucking stupid, they just don't have experience. If you say, "Don't do that because I said so!" They're gonna be like, "Well, I'm going to do it anyway, because that's dumb."
But if you say, "Listen, this can happen, and this can happen, and it could be bad. I'd really prefer if you didn't do this, but if you do, you need to tell me so I can provide support for you and keep you safe." Then they might still do it, but at least they'll do it safely, with adult assistance if they need it.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54426 on: October 18, 2012, 10:39:34 pm »

My mother saw me typing, came over and looked at the forum for three seconds.

"Blah blah pedophiles blah blah Reudh isn't foreign hes american pedophile blah"

For ten minutes. Seriously. She believes each and every user on the internet wants to kidnap and rape me. This saddens me. My mother is an insane lunatic.

-Edit-

No, she's not being a mom. She literally believes each and every one of you are pedobear, and that you may as well live across the street. And that everyone with internet lives in America or something.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 10:44:31 pm by Corai »
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #54427 on: October 18, 2012, 10:41:32 pm »

My only issue with anybody at that age claiming to be able to give consent is that 12-year-olds are stupid and are much worse decision makers than they think they are.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54428 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:47 pm »

My only issue with anybody at that age claiming to be able to give consent is that 12-year-olds are stupid and are much worse decision makers than they think they are.
This applies to goddamn everyone. Adults aren't really smarter; they're just more experienced. And how does one gain experience...?

I am though supportive of measures that prevent and/or significantly reduce the chances of the more horrible stuff. Use condoms. Have day after pills. Parents/friends should be there to help if the relationship turns abusive somehow. Stuff like that.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54429 on: October 18, 2012, 10:45:59 pm »

And for the love of god stop making sex taboo. If that stopped, I bet sex before kids weren't ready would drop 50%
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #54430 on: October 18, 2012, 10:47:40 pm »

And for the love of god stop making sex taboo. If that stopped, I bet sex before kids weren't ready would drop 50%
Bold is +1. I think a quote from Loud Whispers is applicable here:
Violence! All right. OH NO A PENHIGS ROUN AWAI
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54431 on: October 18, 2012, 10:51:35 pm »

Education in that area should be a parents job...

that said if a parent fails a childs friends won't.

but elevating to a public level is wrong.  Maybe some can handle the materials appropiately, but I had sex at 14; many do it even young.  Teen pregnancy is extremely high in part to overexposure ecerywhere.  Condoms are free and easily obtainable from several sources and have done little to ameliorate the problem, at least in America.

Sex education at schools isn't inherently evil, but making it mandatory is.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54432 on: October 18, 2012, 10:59:07 pm »

What.

Here's a hint: Either we teach sex to kids, or kids learn it from hormones. Overexposure? Haha, like THAT will cause anything. I didn't need to know what masturbation was to do it. Kids don't need to know what sex is to do it.

It will happen.
It is not bad.
The consequences potentially can be though, so our job is to mitigate the consequences.

I fucking hate sexual repression. The day we stop thinking of sex and sexual things as bad is the day we solve so many, many problems.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54433 on: October 18, 2012, 11:08:35 pm »

Teen pregnancy in the states, from everything I've seen, has a lot more to do with poor education (either on the parent's/extended family's or school's part, whatever) and social stigma than anything to do with overexposure. Condoms are freely available in some places, yes, but if there's a huge stigma about obtaining them as well as misconceptions on how they work, then problems are going to arise. Folks aren't going to get them or are going to misuse them and, welp!

If there's an issue regarding overexposure it's more due to the massive hypocrisy involved in spattering sexually charged material all over the place and then saying the subject's taboo and isn't be something one should be educated about.

I'd be fine with leaving the particulars about it in the hands of family and friends, though, if it hadn't been repeatedly proven that far too many of those have no bloody idea what they're talking about when it comes to the actual particulars involving sexual activity. We've actually got well researched medical science about this stuff nowadays! We should be disseminating that body of knowledge, y'know? Until it spreads out better, well, if mandatory sex ed is evil then it's a necessary one, if we're going to see any improvement.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #54434 on: October 18, 2012, 11:11:36 pm »

One thing that makes no sense at all is limiting birth control. Like a condom will encourage anyone. It will however, be very useful in preventing pregnancy and stifling the spread of STDs.

If condoms rained from the goddamn sky we wouldn't really see a boost in the number of people having sex, but we would see less pregnancies. Though it would be nice if people had more sex too ;P
Pages: 1 ... 3627 3628 [3629] 3630 3631 ... 8167