Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3531 3532 [3533] 3534 3535 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9466012 times)

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #52980 on: September 29, 2012, 12:01:54 am »

Lol, deal. I kinda want to go outside, wander into the depths of the woods, and fucking scream my head off for awhile, but then I'd just have a sore throat.

Hey, At least the moon is full, right? :D

Compromise: Staple pictures of Slenderman to random trees out in the woods.

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52981 on: September 29, 2012, 12:05:13 am »

Huh, can most antisocial people cite an event or series of events that led to them being so? I've just sort of always been shy.
I can certainly point pretty easily to the timeline of events that have led to me being fairly intensely uninterested in general socialization. Most of my life's been spent in an area that's almost entirely openly hostile to people who aren't bigots. You don't seek other people out as much when doing so has a 98+% chance of leading to conflict. Especially when the conflict wouldn't be constructive in any sense and has a not inconsiderable chance of causing assault. Too much stress and strife for absolutely zero reward and much punishment. Avoidance becomes the norm, hm.

I actually do alright with most things that aren't "small talk" but I'm a little too comfortable being quiet to really keep most sorts of social relationships going. Doesn't help that pretty much all of the normal cultural interests I'm, well, not interested in. Sports, sex, TV, gossip, various intoxicants, so on, so forth... just doesn't do anything for me. I talk more when there's something to talk about, but with most of the population, well... there just isn't anything I'm interested in talking about.

Not hateful about it in the least, though! No doubt to a large degree because I've been mostly incapable of feeling anger for like the past decade and change. That's what happens when losing your temper could end with broken legs or being homeless, at least in my case. Anger is a privilege I couldn't afford. Meditation and philosophy's mostly done the rest of the work of getting rid of it. Generally, my life seems to be the better for it, though it does mean I give out odd signals at times, heh.

Mostly you just learn to love the quiet. It's not actually that bad, but it's occasionally difficult to communicate with others as to exactly what they're dealing with when we're interacting beyond the facile. Sometimes hard to get across that their means of pleasure -- which is very much culturally normative -- simply doesn't rustle m'jimmies. S'like... no, I'm not really sad, or angry with you, or dislike you, or anything, really. I'm just happy as-is, y'know? It's lead to a few interesting conversations, though.

Or something. Disjointed, as it's midnight, and etc., and so forth, and so on. I'm a humanist, really, I just have a fairly thorough dislike of my cultural norms. And a good decade and a half of off and on meditative practice left me somewhat hypersensitive to most forms of sensory input. Most television and radio is hell to me. Literal torture after a while.

I don't get why people wish that they were asexual. I just wish I were getting laid.
I think it's mostly the thought of having an actual off switch, maybe. I wouldn't mind hormones as much if they had a overt toggle, or if dealing with them without involving other humans were a bit more culturally accepted. Same for sleep, eating, etc., so forth, so on. It's nice, but it'd be nicer if there was an actual choice involved there, and not just physiological pressure.

Being able to remain high functioning without romantic interaction or a facsimile thereof is probably high on the list, too. As I ken it, the thought is that while being in a relationship can be nice, and etc., and so forth, having the constant urge to be in one and experiencing a drastically lower quality of life when not would be... well, pleasant. More pleasant, anyway.

The latter bit doesn't really hit me, I guess. I occasionally yearn for warmth and being able to trust someone, but it's not a very consuming thing, or really has much impact in my life. When I feel like that I just make my bed extra comfortable and curl up under the blankets and take a nap. Better than nine times out of ten, the affliction's gone when I wake up. S'nice, in a way.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:07:11 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52982 on: September 29, 2012, 12:06:37 am »

Stuff is pretty shitty for me at the moment. (Well, it has been for years.) Really wish I could move out.
I made an account on Gumtree (advertising/trading site) earlier and looked at flats I could move to, but I've done this before and never had the guts to do anything about it.
I really should. I should at least send a couple of enquiries or something. :( No idea what you're supposed to say in this kinda thing, though. Uhm.

Also: No matter how sad I get, I don't wish I was asexual. Eesh. Y'all're overreacting.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:08:36 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52983 on: September 29, 2012, 12:07:47 am »

Lol, deal. I kinda want to go outside, wander into the depths of the woods, and fucking scream my head off for awhile, but then I'd just have a sore throat.

Indeed it is. It is pretty enough, and usually it inspires excitement and happiness in me. Plus I like rain and it's pretty drizzly here, but even having a perfect night hasn't done much for me. As a side note, I can't actually leave my house because if a cop saw me, I'd go to jail. I've got a ten-thirty curfew.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #52984 on: September 29, 2012, 12:10:12 am »

Indeed it is. It is pretty enough, and usually it inspires excitement and happiness in me. Plus I like rain and it's pretty drizzly here, but even having a perfect night hasn't done much for me. As a side note, I can't actually leave my house because if a cop saw me, I'd go to jail. I've got a ten-thirty curfew.
:/

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52985 on: September 29, 2012, 12:10:53 am »

Ten thirty?! D: Dude, unfair! That's like, when I start thinking about getting up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52986 on: September 29, 2012, 12:15:06 am »

S'not that bad, going to sleep around then. More worrisome for me would be when curfew ends. I had a tendency to go grocery shopping around three or four in the morning when I was in the dorms. Little to no traffic, basically no one at the store (i.e. no lines at the check-out), etc., so forth, so on. Peaceful, even.

Also passing out at nine and getting eight hours puts you up at five AM. Go to sleep at eight, wake up at four, go shopping, come back, still have plenty of time to do the morning ablutions and get where'er you need to get. Probably with an hour or so to spare to read or play games or just chill before the day starts. Maybe watch the sunrise. It's... really nice, actually.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #52987 on: September 29, 2012, 12:16:21 am »

I've always been a night person, really. Curse you modern world!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52988 on: September 29, 2012, 12:17:08 am »

When I'm not being lazy/have the chance to, I normally go for my evening run between 11:30 and midnight. :-\
(I was exaggerating about the getting up at 10:30 thing, obviously. :P)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52989 on: September 29, 2012, 12:19:00 am »

Ten thirty?! D: Dude, unfair! That's like, when I start thinking about getting up.

I get off work at nine or ten, so basically if I want to hang out with a friend, it either has to be before noon (hint: that's when my friends wake up. At noon.) Or only for an hour, then I have to bolt home. Then the drug court is bitching at me to hang out with people more, and I'm like, "Right. So. I have no time for anything, but now you're telling me that if I don't make friends you approve of, you'll send me to jail. If I make friends you don't approve of, I go to jail. If I don't complete my obligations, but make friends you approve of, I go to jail. If I go to jail I get fired, and if I get fired, I go to jail.
WHAT THE EVERLOVING FUCK?"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #52990 on: September 29, 2012, 12:21:30 am »

It's rigged to fuck with otherwise peaceful users. Cynicism ahoy!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52991 on: September 29, 2012, 12:26:15 am »

I can understand the feeling of wanting to be asexual. I suppose, for me, it just feels like it's just a desire planted into you through nature that has unfair hand in your life, constantly guiding you to it's own purposes. Evolution's million year plan to manipulate your entire life, basically.

"Man Josh, you're just a lonely bitch that can't get laid. You wouldn't be saying any of that if you were some lady's man, nope, you'd be living it up with the rest of'em you hypocritical asshole." is what the criticizing portion thinks of the situation, and it's not entirely wrong, I do resent being put into a situation, into a state of loneliness where it feels like I can't get out, and it's not even my fault that I was placed in that state in the first place.

Just one day at a time, that's just how I handle it. Hoping to find the key to change one of these days.

I get off work at nine or ten, so basically if I want to hang out with a friend, it either has to be before noon (hint: that's when my friends wake up. At noon.) Or only for an hour, then I have to bolt home. Then the drug court is bitching at me to hang out with people more, and I'm like, "Right. So. I have no time for anything, but now you're telling me that if I don't make friends you approve of, you'll send me to jail. If I make friends you don't approve of, I go to jail. If I don't complete my obligations, but make friends you approve of, I go to jail. If I go to jail I get fired, and if I get fired, I go to jail.

What the fuck? Like, seriously?

And how do you go about getting "approved friends" anyway.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52992 on: September 29, 2012, 12:31:48 am »

It's rigged to fuck with otherwise peaceful users. Cynicism ahoy!

Avast. I think what's up is that this program is used to dealing with methheads and I'm not a methhead. I don't have boundless, nervous energy all the damn time, and I don't need to be directly doing something all the fucking time. I truly enjoy being able to sit and relax, and not getting to sit and relax makes me *SURVEY SAYS!* want to get fucked up.
Then I tell my counselor that AA and NA meetings make me want to get high and she's like, "You're full of shit."
And I'm like, "Okay bitch. When I'm in jail because I got high because you're making me go to meetings, then we'll talk I guess."
Sitting around other drug addicts talking about what makes them want to get high does in fact make me want to get high. If you want me to be sober, I should be around normal people who aren't constantly talking about being sober/high.

What the fuck? Like, seriously?

And how do you go about getting "approved friends" anyway.

Basically, they can't be people who use (everyone I know uses something, mostly booze or prescriptions) they can't have been in any trouble with the law at any point ever, and I can't hang out with them anywhere there might be drugs or alcohol.
He's fucking with us.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #52993 on: September 29, 2012, 12:34:15 am »

He wishes he was asexual, but his penis disagrees.

EDIT:....Did I really just say that without a drop of irony? Ladies and Gentlemen, this is what Bay12 can do to you.
Yep. F*cking meat sausage thing...*grumblegrumblegrumble*

Don't worry, I'm sure you can outwear the mortal shell in a few years.
Why thank you, Wrex.

Anyway, how did you get sealed in a mortal body? Got hit by a boat like big C?
First off, Hans, sympathy. That's a Catch-22 if I ever saw one. And for Wrex, I think it was that thing I posted in the dream thread a while back; the text wall. Not sure, but it's the best explanation I've got.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52994 on: September 29, 2012, 12:34:51 am »

Welp. Finally figured out a programming problem that's been hindering me for weeks.

*Gives self a low-five*

Of course, the solution comes at a time that's dampened by a thickening blue feeling. I feel like all this crap I've been putting so much effort into is pointless; I spent my entire summer and most of my free time this school year struggling to learn skills that would be actually useful, and I'm realizing that everyone who actually knows anything about programming vastly outclasses me. I feel like I'm wasting my time, and it kinda hurts. I spend my scant free time working to get better, only to know that the people who are pursuing similar activities are way better than me. Then I go to school and struggle through classes with the ball and chain of being scatterbrained, watching other people seem to automatically get better grades than me. Then I go to cross-country and kill myself trying to not suck at it, only to have even the freshmen who just started running this year beat me.

I used to be okay with consistently ranking low, because I always did good without trying at the things that I thought were important (which pretty much amounted to breezing through classes without effort). Now that I'm in high school, I'm realizing that I'm not good at what I should have been working at as a little kid, and I'm trying really hard to get better, and it's not working. I just... I don't know. I don't like that sinking feeling and I feel like nothing I do can make it go away. I don't know whether or not I'm trying hard or just being whiny, since I don't have anyone to compare my effort to. There's an unpleasant cycle of feeling like crap, worrying that my bad feelings are part of me falling back into loser-mode again, and then feeling worse because of it.

tl;dr: I feel like I should be listening to an over-the-top depressing song while crying into an giant bowl of comfort ice cream or something.

@Hanslada: That... really sucks. You'd think that the penal system would maybe use a few brain cells to think of what strictures are actually plausible, but apparently not.
Pages: 1 ... 3531 3532 [3533] 3534 3535 ... 8167